Active Topics

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
OS X 10.6 aka Snow Leopard. They introduced Grand Central Dispatch, which allows software built using Cocoa and Objective-C to handle small lumps of code off to the daemon which decides where and when to run it. Unsurprisingly, it can also enforce restrictions on said thread and kill them if it steps outside of them.

This is how they can halt (or kill) the main thread of a process while keeping a background thread running.
Ah ok. Interesting, though that means apps of course have to be programmed to take advantage of it? Is that as simple as just marking this process is necessary?

I agree with Benson. This is something that they would've figured out on the first prototype device. Though maybe your suppose to hold it in a specific way? There's gotta be some manufacturing reason this is happening.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@woody: thanks for the professional confirmation

My point (to maxplus) was simple: higher megapixel count does not always mean a better image quality. Just more pixels to represent that particular image (that could be bottlenecked by optics/sensor size).
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2010-06-24 at 00:57.

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I suspect that they have a clear lacquer (or other coating) over the antennae to prevent such shorting -- that problem's so obvious nobody could overlook it, right? But either some units have an inadequate coating, or the coating wears off in some people's pockets, and the problem shows up -- and that's the sort of problem that does get by...
yeah there are a lot of variables:

most field tests were in obfuscating or more rugged cases

different people have varying emfs

environmental conditions(humidity/static etc)

type of connection and frequency to cell tower in specific locations.

with all of the videos already out though, i tend to believe there is something going on. perhaps it is just an issue with software reading signal level(i hope so for apples and users sake)

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Ah ok. Interesting, though that means apps of course have to be programmed to take advantage of it?
Yes, currently it can only be done with Objective-C, though I'm sure higher level languages like Ruby and Python will shortly (if they don't already) add support.

Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Yes, currently it can only be done with Objective-C, though I'm sure higher level languages like Ruby and Python will shortly (if they don't already) add support.
I thought itunes store policy is now that no other languages are allowed?

Originally Posted by quipper8 View Post
I thought itunes store policy is now that no other languages are allowed?
I think what wmarone and I are talking about is for the Macs.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Well, GCD is available on Macs and the iPhone. You'll only be able to use Objective-C on the iPhone though.

oh sorry, i thought we were talking about iphone

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
iPhone 4 - 326ppi
iPhone 3GS - 163ppi
Nokia N900 - 267ppi
Nokia N810 - 225ppi
Google Nexus One - 252ppi
Samsung Galaxy S - ~202ppi
The Samsung Galaxy S pixel density seems incorrectly calculated above. I get 233ppi for a 800x480 at 4''

...What I'm going for is that the ppi is lower than the N810 for the Samsung Galaxy S...
No. The opposite. At the same pixel count, the device with the physically smaller screen is the one with the higher density.

The Following User Says Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Here is a ppi calculator:

http://thirdculture.com/joel/shumi/c...e/ppicalc.html

Btw, the toshiba g900 was quite close to iPhone 4's ppi at 310.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
can you, canitouchuthere, hear me now, iphone 4, itoilet paper, waste of money, waste of time, whining, worstthreadever