Active Topics

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
about switching to 3G on an application launch (or having "application X is running/open" as a condition)

[QUOTE=ajalkane;1244878]I've thought about implementing something like that. But I can't promise when and even if it will come.

any options or possibilities you found out so far? Is it possible to check for the "prestart" state of the main applications?
perhaps the process state itself (R <-> S) can be checked somehow? (using output of ps)? unfortunately /proc/<procID>/state yields permission denied.

PS: thank you for this app! have been using idle & 2G/dual switch for a long time now .

Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
You're not missing anything. With 1.7.0 it should just basically work. Inception could of course interfere, but I don't think that's it.

There's ways to debug it. First of all you can try manually from command line to use the separate exe:

Code:
invoker --type=m /opt/profilematic/bin/platformutil flightMode
On
It's important to use the invoker command.

If that doesn't work, check the file at

Code:
/var/lib/aegis/restok/restok.conf
Find profilematic's entries. The important bit is this:

Code:
Object: applauncherd-launcher::/usr/bin/applauncherd.bin
Request:
        AID::.profilematic.
        mce::DeviceModeControl
Let me know.
Thanks, working OK now. I think it's because I hadn't set the option Restore previous FM.

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by P@t View Post
Yes indeed I should check that PSM is improving the situation. I actually put my phone on PSM after 5mn iddle (thanks to your app) and even not sure now, I do not think it helps enough.
Does it help at all? How often it stutters with and without PSM? I'd like to understand this a bit better to know if anything can be done about it. If I've understood it correctly the stuttering happens because of scanning of WLAN access points?

If wifi off is not possible (that was possible for the N900 i think but a less restrictive phone for such features), do you think that the fact that a 'known' wifi network can be either automatically connected or manually connected is helping and could be implemented in your app?
I'm not sure. If it's the automatic scanning of WLANs that's causing it, that won't help.

But there is a value in gconf that you might try to change:

/system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval

By default it is 300, which I guess is in seconds (5 minutes). Does this match the interval with stuttering bluetooth? You could try changing it if so. If that helps, it's easy to make Custom Action to ProfileMatic to change that upon some conditions.

Originally Posted by N9uwu View Post
I've thought about implementing something like that. But I can't promise when and even if it will come.
any options or possibilities you found out so far? Is it possible to check for the "prestart" state of the main applications?
perhaps the process state itself (R <-> S) can be checked somehow? (using output of ps)? unfortunately /proc/<procID>/state yields permission denied.
I haven't yet looked at it in detail. It'd have to be something event based to get notifications that applications are launched to minimize battery usage. I wouldn't want to poll for the state.

I doubt I have time to look how it could be achieved any time soon. But if anyone has code samples or links to APIs that would be useful, that could speed up things.

PS: thank you for this app! have been using idle & 2G/dual switch for a long time now .
Thanks!

Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
Does it help at all? How often it stutters with and without PSM? I'd like to understand this a bit better to know if anything can be done about it. If I've understood it correctly the stuttering happens because of scanning of WLAN access points?
You perfectly understood the concern (even if I was not that good to explain it).

I'm not sure. If it's the automatic scanning of WLANs that's causing it, that won't help.

But there is a value in gconf that you might try to change:

/system/osso/connectivity/network_type/search_interval

By default it is 300, which I guess is in seconds (5 minutes). Does this match the interval with stuttering bluetooth? You could try changing it if so. If that helps, it's easy to make Custom Action to ProfileMatic to change that upon some conditions.
I tested this morning the use of PSM and it does not help as expected. This is indeed the automatic scan of wifi networks which is a pain (but nice feature though).

I will test your solution to circumvent the problem. I found an example for the N900 that were even using the value 0! I would need a condition and if you could include bluetooth pairing, that would be fantastic.

Thanks again

The Following User Says Thank You to P@t For This Useful Post:
Ajalkane, what a great work you have done! You have been around for almost a year improving, listening and answered almost every question. I'm impressed.

I installed your app yesterday and tried the PSM mode during 23:00 - 07:00 together with lowering ring profile to 40%. Morning after the phone was dead and phone had about 30% of battery when I got to bed. But I haven't seen such reports in the thread so it might been something else.

I have one question just to see if I have misunderstood how the rules works. I tried
15:00 - 15:05:
availability on (previously off) Restore profile
bluetooth on (previously off) Restore profile
Ring profile 100% (previously 40%) Restore profile
No default rule configured
No other rules active

Outcome is that it turns on FB at 15 and off at 15:05, same with BT. But ring profile remains at 100%. I have tried several times but it doesn't restore previous ring profile.

Do I have to create a default rule for this to happend or have I misunderstood Restore previous profile?

Thanks again for your great work!

The Following User Says Thank You to Diggler For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
Ajalkane, what a great work you have done! You have been around for almost a year improving, listening and answered almost every question. I'm impressed.
Thank you. I do my best.

I installed your app yesterday and tried the PSM mode during 23:00 - 07:00 together with lowering ring profile to 40%. Morning after the phone was dead and phone had about 30% of battery when I got to bed. But I haven't seen such reports in the thread so it might been something else.
I doubt that's anything to do with ProfileMatic. I remember reading similar reports from other people of N9 suddenly usings lots of battery. It has happened to me once or twice too.

But let me know if it happens more and you suspect ProfileMatic.

I have one question just to see if I have misunderstood how the rules works. I tried
15:00 - 15:05:
availability on (previously off) Restore profile
bluetooth on (previously off) Restore profile
Ring profile 100% (previously 40%) Restore profile
No default rule configured
No other rules active

Outcome is that it turns on FB at 15 and off at 15:05, same with BT. But ring profile remains at 100%. I have tried several times but it doesn't restore previous ring profile.
You have understood correctly, and ProfileMatic should restore the ringing profile to 40% in this case. So it may be a bug, I will test it soon if I can reproduce the problem.

Originally Posted by Diggler View Post
I tested this and confirmed it. So it's a bug, and I'll make a fix soon.

Posts: 665 | Thanked: 2,388 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Zagreb, Croatia
I haven't yet looked at it in detail. It'd have to be something event based to get notifications that applications are launched to minimize battery usage. I wouldn't want to poll for the state.

I doubt I have time to look how it could be achieved any time soon. But if anyone has code samples or links to APIs that would be useful, that could speed up things.

Thanks!
You can hook on DBUS signal NameOwnerChanged and set to 3G if not previously already on 3G.
However, in my tests it was found that this approach works, but not really nice with incoming calls.
Lockscreen deactivates and Profilematic (does it's job) switched to 3G in upcoming conversation.
Connection dropped. :P

Originally Posted by knobtviker View Post
You can hook on DBUS signal NameOwnerChanged and set to 3G if not previously already on 3G.
However, in my tests it was found that this approach works, but not really nice with incoming calls.
Lockscreen deactivates and Profilematic (does it's job) switched to 3G in upcoming conversation.
Connection dropped. :P
Can you clarify this message. The one you quoted was talking about detecting what applications are launched. But I think your reply is talking about some other scenario?

ProfileMatic should, in the current 1.7.0 version, always delay switching 3g/gsm/dual mode until there is no phone call on-going. Which should eliminate disconnects due to ProfileMatic's rules. Did you experience something like that?