Posts: 163 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Alabama
Originally Posted by Phantasm View Post
It all depends on usage. The mentioned times were for total idle. On real usage you can probably drain the battery in a working day if you actively use the phone with battery draining tasks. But if you have low usage, you should be able to get real battery lifetime of 3-5 days.

As for your screenshot, if you rebooted your N900 just after fully charging it, you must have either used it very much during that 1 hour and 28 minutes, or triggered battery drainage bug.
The only thing I have been using is the browser. Lets go through my list of things. Wifi off, gps off, bluetooth off, MFE is set to manual, Nokia Messaging is set to 30 min intervals, 2 desktops, facebook widget, calendar widget, network mode is set to GSM, screen brightness on lowest setting.

From the screenshot, my signal is spotty, but with no 3G and nothing really constantly updating, what else could it be?

Thx for any tips.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

If I can help with anything else, just ask!

The Following User Says Thank You to bdogg64 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bdogg64 View Post
The only thing I have been using is the browser. Lets go through my list of things. Wifi off, gps off, bluetooth off, MFE is set to manual, Nokia Messaging is set to 30 min intervals, 2 desktops, facebook widget, calendar widget, network mode is set to GSM, screen brightness on lowest setting.

From the screenshot, my signal is spotty, but with no 3G and nothing really constantly updating, what else could it be?

Thx for any tips.
Did you just finish charging the phone before reboot? Or did you check the battery level at the time of the reboot? Just 8 bars out of 8 doesn't say much. The bars aren't fully linear and go in big steps.

If your Wi-Fi is off and you haven't been to Wi-Fi at all since last reboot, then the problem must be something else.

But if you have been very actively browsing on 2G, that may cause something like that amount of battery drop. Not sure. But you can experiment with the device on idle to see if there is any excessive battery usage there.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
I think that an always on data connection over 3G is the main problem regarding short battery life. When i sign in on one or more of the im networks or let it check my emails regularly throughout the day my battery won't last a day. It makes for example a big difference if you check your mail in certain intervals or use push mail. Using push mail my battery holds up much longer.

I really hope this can be improved. htc dream or hero, for example, donīt have this problem. They sync google stuff and widgets whole they long without losing to much power.

Originally Posted by GiGi. View Post
I think that an always on data connection over 3G is the main problem regarding short battery life. When i sign in on one or more of the im networks or let it check my emails regularly throughout the day my battery won't last a day. It makes for example a big difference if you check your mail in certain intervals or use push mail. Using push mail my battery holds up much longer.

I really hope this can be improved. htc dream or hero, for example, donīt have this problem. They sync google stuff and widgets whole they long without losing to much power.
3G data connection itself doesn't use much. In my experiments there would be 3.1 days of idle time with 3G data connection on but idle.

The widgets might be updating way too often or otherwise buggy.

Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by abdulsalam View Post
the battery problem is breaking my heart really, I just sold my N97 to get the N900, and I really thinking about going back to the N97, I know ill miss the browser, but what the use if I cant enjoy it much.
Dont' worry, the N97 battery is about as "good" as the one on the N900 (my wife has a N97 and is not really happy with it because of that)

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Summary of my testing results:
Idle: 9.1 days
Idle with 3G internet connection idle: 3.1 days
Idle after connecting and manually disconnecting from Wi-Fi: 6.9 hours
Wow. How did you leave your N900 untouched for 12.5 days? I couldn't leave mine untouched for 12.5 minutes.
Agro ... : |#---------] Relic(s) : N900, MacBookPro, NSLU2, N800, SheevaPlug, Eee-901, Core2-Quad, PS3
"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they're not."
--
Beware of extras-devel.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to fnordianslip For This Useful Post:
Is there a way to switch to 2g if i want to surf non media rich sites? And then switch it back to 3g when i want to get on media sites? I want to use edge most of the time and cant figure out how to do this.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
3G data connection itself doesn't use much. In my experiments there would be 3.1 days of idle time with 3G data connection on but idle.

The widgets might be updating way too often or otherwise buggy.
Whats the point of a data connection if you can't use it because your phone dies in few hours? First my widgets (foreca weather and rss) updated every half hour. Because of power drainage i changed it to 1 hour and now they are at every 2 or 4 hours. That still didn't change to much so i also signed out my im accounts and changed the mail to the nokia messaging service so i can use push mail, which uses way less power because you can turn of the automatic checking. With a bit of luck i can now last through the day with moderate usage.

The whole "online as it happens" part is a bit gone at this point don't you think? And as i said, htc dream or hero or what ever android phone for that matter do not have these issues.

Originally Posted by vasillalov View Post
F

Adjust your profile settings

* Remove vibration notifications when IM is received. Do you REALLY need your device to vibrate every single time someone sends you an IM?
Hi. From that it looks likr it's possible to disable vibration ONLY on IM? Is that actually possible because the only option i can find is to turn vibration notification for everything either on or off, and even though i have volume set to loud i do want to keep vibration alert turned on for SMS and calls for when it's in my pocket and i cant hear it. but IM vibration is annoying when somebody sends you 4 messages in 10 seconds...

Thanks

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ California
Here is my message in bug 6615:

--------------------------------------------------------
I read it and compare with my usage and I suspect that WiFi power usage is in driver activity. In my case I see a regular message about losing beacon from some bogus AP - I never use it. And it reports it all day, each second with calm intervals around 10-20secs.

Exactly, the message in /var/log/syslog is:

Dec 26 .... kernel: [....] wlan0: driver reports beacon loss from AP cf1bb52c - sending probe request

(the "cf1bb52c" is reported always, independent from real location and the connected SSID. And it is reported even N900 sitting in 3 foots from WiFi router - it is not my router at home or at work)

Of course, any WiFi transmission sucks the power. I browsed the directories under /var/lib/gconf I don't find any unaccounted connection. I guess it is some rudiments in wl12xx driver from Nokia...

The message is from wlan daemon and it is not seen in dmesg, so to see it you should install syslogd/klogd package.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Adding to this I can say I suspect some connectivity package which I did install (and may removed since that) which triggers search of cf1bb52c. Something like OpenSSH.

Tags
battery, battery life, extend, fremantle, guide, ideas, improve, maemo, maemo 5, n900, power, runtime