Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
It found it's way to the extras-devel repos at the end.

But it has resulted in a bit of messy outcome Really sorry for that.

The long story:
On one hand, I tried to upload the deb file to non-free extra devel, but it took a very long time before I actually found some confirmation that it had succeeded in uploading.

Meanwhile, I did several attempts to upload it to the builder, but that failed without error messages. By coincidence I found out uppercase and underscores are not allowed there in the package name.

Once I had that corrected and uploaded, I found out the non-free deb file was actually succesfully uploaded.

So we have ended with Defense Gear in the repos two times :
Fremantle Extras-devel non-free armel defense-gear 1.1.0-0
This is the exact same version as you can download in the opening post.

Fremantle Extras-devel free armel defense-gear 1.1.0-4
This is the one through the autobuilder, but the still the exact same version.

There is one relevant difference though: defense-gear: 1.1.0-0 is named "Defense_Gear", and defense-gear 1.1.0-4 has the corrected "defense-gear" name. But that's makes it two separate packages

I tried to make made "defense-gear" (1.1.0-4) conflict with "Defense_Gear (1.0.0-0) to prevent them from installing both at the same time, but the name Defense_Gear is again not accepted. Getting 1.0.0-0 removed from the repos could be hard given the current admin situation surrounding the repos.

What does it mean for you?

You already have the deb file installed? Nothing will happen, as you already have 1.1.0-0 "Defense_Gear" installed.

You want to install it (first time) from the repo:
Please choose to install 1.1.0-4 "defense-gear", as I hope to continue this version with possible updates from TheBurek.

Murphy's law kicks in too much for me lately, giving me headaches

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by ade View Post
It found it's way to the extras-devel repos at the end.

But it has resulted in a bit of messy outcome Really sorry for that.

The long story:
On one hand, I tried to upload the deb file to non-free extra devel, but it took a very long time before I actually found some confirmation that it had succeeded in uploading.

Meanwhile, I did several attempts to upload it to the builder, but that failed without error messages. By coincidence I found out uppercase and underscores are not allowed there in the package name.

Once I had that corrected and uploaded, I found out the non-free deb file was actually succesfully uploaded.

So we have ended with Defense Gear in the repos two times :
Fremantle Extras-devel non-free armel defense-gear 1.1.0-0
This is the exact same version as you can download in the opening post.

Fremantle Extras-devel free armel defense-gear 1.1.0-4
This is the one through the autobuilder, but the still the exact same version.

There is one relevant difference though: defense-gear: 1.1.0-0 is named "Defense_Gear", and defense-gear 1.1.0-4 has the corrected "defense-gear" name. But that's makes it two separate packages

I tried to make made "defense-gear" (1.1.0-4) conflict with "Defense_Gear (1.0.0-0) to prevent them from installing both at the same time, but the name Defense_Gear is again not accepted. Getting 1.0.0-0 removed from the repos could be hard given the current admin situation surrounding the repos.

What does it mean for you?

You already have the deb file installed? Nothing will happen, as you already have 1.1.0-0 "Defense_Gear" installed.

You want to install it (first time) from the repo:
Please choose to install 1.1.0-4 "defense-gear", as I hope to continue this version with possible updates from TheBurek.

Murphy's law kicks in too much for me lately, giving me headaches
To be 100% "politically correct", you should upload a new version to extras-devel non-free which doesn't conflict, but "replaces" the package you uploaded to extras-devel free and you should maintain and update only the version in the non-free version in the future. Uploading non-free (free meaning source is available) software to free repositories is a violation of Debian reposiory naming scheme (see 2.1 of http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html ).

Edit: Anyway, it's great you succeeded! I don't want to sound like I'm complaining or something

Last edited by misiak; 2012-12-13 at 00:10.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 329 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Bosnia and Herzegovina
Wow, that's awesome - thanks, ade! I've been mostly resting from game development last few days (road up to the release was intense), but there will be updates. I'm patching a few things here and there, trying to make an apropriate PC version (Windows, GNU/Linux) with keyboard and mouse controls. The plan is also to make difficulty levels, as suggested here, for this next release, and probably a few more maps. I'll keep you all posted

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Wow! A new Maemo game nearly 3 years after N900's release and long after Nokia lost interest. Thanks TheBurek!

Incidentally, isn't a burek one of those delicious pastries from your region? I ate a lot of those when I was cycle touring through there!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Xagoln For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
Really amazing game ! the graphics are good and everything is perfect
i hope to see more levels
thanks

./Sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

The Following User Says Thank You to sifo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Xagoln View Post
Incidentally, isn't a burek one of those delicious pastries from your region? I ate a lot of those when I was cycle touring through there!
Indeed it is Depending on where you ate it, it could have been several different things. In Bosnia, it's called burek only if it's filled with meat (meat pie), but in Serbia or Croatia it's a more general term, so you have "burek with cheese", etc. And that's a minor annoyance for us from Bosnia, when we order a burek somewhere, and they ask "with what?" - thinking to ourselves "it's with meat, dammit!" So yeah... that was waay off topic.

Thank you both, Xagoln and sifo. There will be updates for this one, and possibly even more games. We haven't yet decided what our next project is going to be, but if we don't make too much of a leap and still use my so-called engine that compiles and runs on Maemo, it will be released here. As I said somewhere earlier, I don't use my N900 as my primary phone anymore or tinker with it as much as I used to, but I still keep it around and it has a special place in my heart, so I'll try to support it as long as it reasonably possible

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
Hopefully waiting, man where have you been in the coding competition ? i would have voted for you
i will tell my Android friends about your game
( by the way im playing it now )
thanks

./Sifo

Forgot to say, if you want, i can provide Arabic translation

Originally Posted by sifo View Post
Forgot to say, if you want, i can provide Arabic translation
Thank you for your offer, but it isn't likely to happen. It's a technical issue, font texture and rendering. I've had questions about more translations before. Without too much extra work, I could do a few more latin alphabet based languages, at least until I use up all the free spaces in my texture with additional glyphs, and there aren't many left. I'd also need to implement right-to-left output, but that wouldn't be as big a deal as a completely new bitmap font. It is probably a bit short-sighted on my part, but that's the way I'm doing things now, and that way isn't suited for languages such as Arabic. If it were just a simple decision, I'd love to include as many languages as possible and make the game accessible for as many people as possible, but it's just too impractical for now, so, sorry

The Following User Says Thank You to TheBurek For This Useful Post:
It is ok dude and no need to be sorry i just felt to offer what i can do

./SIfo