Notices

Originally Posted by Modell900 View Post
That was the information I was given by nokia Sweden that google maps were using nokias maps, so unless this guy gave me old/ bad info the might some very weird reason use ifferent databases witch I doubt.

have to check the google maps pack like you mentioned.
And if they switched I stand corrected
It could be region dependent?

Though in the USA it says Google, and Tele Atlas.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
This is actually highly contested. I don't have the thread and its not easy to find. But there's a bug out there right now that the N900 can't get a lock without some sort of data connection. If you turn off WiFi and the cellular radio, the device will fail to get a GPS lock. I haven't tried this since the latest firmware updates but I found it to be true for me. I was out mountain biking, tried to pull up maps and it was never able to get a GPS lock.

Then again, maybe its fixed now and I just haven't kept up....

Originally Posted by epson800 View Post
you don't need a data connection, your phone can lock its GPS without data.

you just need the maps on your hard drive.

Originally Posted by ElGatoFlojo View Post
This is actually highly contested. I don't have the thread and its not easy to find. But there's a bug out there right now that the N900 can't get a lock without some sort of data connection. If you turn off WiFi and the cellular radio, the device will fail to get a GPS lock. I haven't tried this since the latest firmware updates but I found it to be true for me. I was out mountain biking, tried to pull up maps and it was never able to get a GPS lock.

Then again, maybe its fixed now and I just haven't kept up....
ive always been able to get a lock without any data, i don't even have any phone service. so its easy for me to back up my statement, as not only can i turn off my wifi, but i can walk down the street out of its range.

The key to getting a lock, is using the right program to get it. Novi maps is bugged, it turns off your GPS if it doesn't lock within 10-20 seconds.

Other programs will continue to try and lock and won't stop. In about 10 minutes (im guessing never timed it) you should have a lock, once you do, you can then open up something like novimaps and the lock will show up on it as well.

also i should note ive never tried to get a lock while moving.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 278 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oregon, USA
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
...and they track your every move...
Well Nokia could track our every move for that matter. Nokia (in terms of revenue,etc) is far larger than Google

I prefer Google Maps to Ovi Maps because, frankly, the POI search does not suck, and the routing does not suck.
I've gotten myself lost quite a few times relying on Ovi Maps routing on my N900 because it has told me to turn on streets which do not exist, or to take exists from the freeway labeled for a street that does not appear on the actual exit sign.

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Ireland
What I like about Google Earth is the photos at the locations that I can view before getting there so I can get my bearing quickly. I can actually see where the hotel or restaurant etc.
seeing places I cannot afford to go to is a bonus too as I can decide if I what to go there or skip a particular area maximizing my time there.

Posts: 170 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ reading, uk
hey how do you do a search on ovi maps ? i cant find the search button anywhere

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
The main thing stopping Google from doing anything with Maemo is profitability.

Basically..

Is it justifable to spend time creating Google Product on Maemo given Maemo's userbase. The answer is no for right now, it likely costs Google more in development and support time more than the information and revenue received from Maemo users using their product.
So what if Google loses one or two million dollars... They have an annual revenue of 25 billion dollars, to hell with the shareholders i say.

But aside from money, I still wouldn't port Maps if I was Google. Maemo 5 looks like it's on its dying bed, I would wait until MeeGo releases or until Nokia makes up their goddamn mind and stick to one OS once and for all. That's why the iPhone is so popular, cuz developper know for sure it's there to stay. Why would you develop and write something for a platform that will inevitably get replaced every year and become eventually obsolete?

Posts: 1,217 | Thanked: 446 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Bedfordshire, UK
Originally Posted by torres76 View Post
hey how do you do a search on ovi maps ? i cant find the search button anywhere
Tap the bottom right cornor to bring up the arrow, tap the arrow to bring up menu overlays. Tap in bottom left on 'Places' and go from there.

Not a big fan of Google, but routing on Ovi is really bad. Just tried to see a couple of walking routes on N900 with Ovi and they were much worse than both Google Maps and TomTom.

As for usability, don't get me started. Not that Google is very much better, but at least you don't have the impression that they INTENTIONALLY wanted to make the application difficult to use. Just look how many steps you have to go through to see a route in Ovi.

one thing that ovi really sucks balls for me right now is that.... i can put up with not being able to search offline, at least let me save landmarks n places so i can find them quickly offline. this is one of the things i never us ovi maps on my n900.

Tags
google maps, port