Active Topics

Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
I've had some 'wow' moments and some 'bleh' ones too.

For a 600 Mhz machine, the GUI is not quite as responsive as I would hope. And the emulators really need some optimization, my GP2x ran GBA games fullspeed (I know it's not Nokia's fault in this aspect).

The mail client is really, really sucky which makes Nokia look bad... I mean, it's not rocket science to polish something like what they have now into something better.

Makes me think Nokia doesn't care that much, which saddens me...

Still, for me I have some pending things I would like fixed:

- better UI on the mail client
- more than 4 desktops (... please?)
- have app icons show when I install them, not on reboots
- better MSN connectivity
- intelligent contact merging
- better GPS app from Nokia
- more responsiveness when I click on IM notifications
- assign ringtones to contacts
- more than 2 profiles

And a few more "paper cuts" here and there. Overall, it's a great computer with some nice phone features
Its the email client for which is going to make me go back to blackberry, which is a shame, had a great night of web browsing it really does handle anything on that side.

it took me 3 minutes to load my inbox and then get into it earlier!

MB

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hilversum
I have a mini-review on my website, feel free to point out any flaws: http://www.iruel.net/2010/01/22/My-N900-Review/

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bonerp View Post
yet - but at least I can play flash
yes and i CAN play Modern Warfare with my 4 years old PC. Its true! Its just slides of pictures but by definition I can play it.
- car salesman

*grin*

Originally Posted by redi View Post
Actually there is no mediaplayer on the device that comes even close to iPod. ^^

/offtopic
While the iPod has many advantages as a media player the N900 has things the ipod sadly will never have also.

high res playback of many video files
proper id3 album art support spanning internal and removable storage.
removable sd card and battery
upnp stream access
etc.

If you spend all your time looking at the negatives, you willl surely miss the pleasure of the considerable positives the N900 has.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sardaukar View Post
For a 600 Mhz machine, the GUI is not quite as responsive as I would hope.
I agree and probably they are working on this. Thing is that GUI responsivness and speed are probably the last thing to fix. Before that they have to fix all the bugs under the hood.

The mail client is really, really sucky which makes Nokia look bad... I mean, it's not rocket science to polish something like what they have now into something better.
I agree but its in way funny that business users really seem to go after this device even thought they are not the main market...at least that picture i gpt when i read ari jaaksis blog entry about his vision of maemo.

Makes me think Nokia doesn't care that much, which saddens me...
This device is under heavy development.

Still, for me I have some pending things I would like fixed:

- better UI on the mail client
- more than 4 desktops (... please?)
- have app icons show when I install them, not on reboots
- better MSN connectivity
- intelligent contact merging
- better GPS app from Nokia
- more responsiveness when I click on IM notifications
- assign ringtones to contacts
- more than 2 profiles
-yep i agree
-funny i just disabled one
- there is bug report on this
- Not nokias thing to worry. Totally depended on community. Understand that it is after all microsofts. But some maybe some collaboration on this one (price?)
-what do you need? Hermes?
- After update its better but not there yet.
- Responsivness is some places fast (microb) and some places its just bit slow.
- and last ones i also agree.

And a few more "paper cuts" here and there. Overall, it's a great computer with some nice phone features
I too like it most of time

But right now this forum is full of these kind of threads and it seems that oldtimers are getting tired about this "noise" or whining.

Last edited by slender; 2010-01-24 at 12:03.

Here's example of my battery life:

I charged it full(wall) before going to sleep. I leave it next to me whole night, like ~8-9 hours so it's on standby, doing nothing.
When I woke up it was at like 75%, I opened up browser and IM and spent like 10 mins on and it was at 50% and would probably go down more quickly.

Is this normal?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridge UK
Originally Posted by No_LiMiT View Post
Is this normal?
Yes if you leave the radios on all night doing nothing but searching for connections.

Set your internet access to "ask for connection" and remember to disconnect when you've finished whatever you're doing and suddenly you'll be raving about the battery life.

Mine finishes a full days use (phone/text/email/web) with an 80% full battery since I've started doing that.

Originally Posted by Steevp View Post
Yes if you leave the radios on all night doing nothing but searching for connections.

Set your internet access to "ask for connection" and remember to disconnect when you've finished whatever you're doing and suddenly you'll be raving about the battery life.

Mine finishes a full days use (phone/text/email/web) with an 80% full battery since I've started doing that.
Got it on ask for connection since the day I boguht it so that's not the problem, and I always disconnect right after use.

I'll test this agian when it drops to lowest I'll charge it and use it normally.

I got 2 N900s in house and they both have similar battery life.

Originally Posted by No_LiMiT View Post
Got it on ask for connection since the day I boguht it so that's not the problem, and I always disconnect right after use.
Interesting.
One thing i was recently searching for - automatic disconnector script or similar thing... anyone knows, is there anything similar?

I tried to search for osso-wlan dbus interfaces but did not find much documentation... ie in Ubuntu, you can do a script, which can disconnect wlan using networkmanager after some idle time (say 5 minutes) - is it possible also with N900?
Polishing these kind of edges makes it really handy. click, check mail, click, done, and forget it.
Or then, why couldn't it go automatically to some *default* IMAP mail inbox, when you open mail application? Why do you have to to 2 clicks, to get there? etc...

It is already much better device than iPhone, why not make it *simple* too Waiting eagerly for next firmware release...

Last edited by matik; 2010-01-24 at 22:13.

Maybe switching 2g<>3g drains battery a lot?
Often I see it switch between 2g, 2.5g and 3g :S

Tags
first impressions, fremantle, impressions, initial impressions, maemo, maemo 5, moderator, n900, out of box, out of box experience, please merge, review, shiny