Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
You can do both ooo and KDE. In fact, KDE would probably be better for OOO than maemo. A three GB partition would allow KDE to have its files and leave you with a little working room. Of course, there is no "best" answer; it's up to you.

Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
OOO uses /tmp when converting to PDF. In OS2008 /tmp is a very small ram (512KB) drive. If debian chroot uses the same /tmp, it might be the problem.
Try moving /tmp to a filesystem with more room, or a larger tmpfs.
Yes. "/tmp". Where did I get "tmp file?" I blame it on PWNS - Posting-With-No-Sleep.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Become yourself root.
As root, issue "mount -o remount,size=5M /tmp" (maybe's too much?)
Start openoffice, do pdf, enjoy :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cincinnati, Ohio USA
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
You can do both ooo and KDE. In fact, KDE would probably be better for OOO than maemo. A three GB partition would allow KDE to have its files and leave you with a little working room. Of course, there is no "best" answer; it's up to you.
Thanks, I didn't have time to install, so I didn't read all the requirements. (just a little more than I'm up to at the moment). I'll explore kde some more for now, and see if I get ambitious or if someone makes a script first. It was a happy coincidence I was ready to try kde and Penguinbait finished easier install debs. and/or after Diablo.

I agree and was thinking around the 3G size. I just want as much space as I can accessible by my PC through USB.

I think I clicked my thanks, But I want to stress my sincere thanks to all of you who make this accessible.

I've uploaded a video on my blog, that apart from being exceedingly ugly and boring, shows openoffice write and draw and abiword, so that it's easy to see how long one has to wait for those to start, and - on the other hand - how nicely responsive they are after fully starting.
I've recorded it with my cellphone, aiming at my laptop screen where the IT's display was exported through x11vnc, so that a little bit of lagtime is added, and things seem to happen automagically without any stylus or finger intervention.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
I don't recommend using maemo for OOo because there are some dialog boxes that don't fit on the maemo screen, and you can't hit the "OK" button. I would recommend penguinbait's KDE; he has mapped the hardware keys so you can toggle right-click with the "home" hardware button, you can move big dialogs up to get to the OK button with the "menu" hardware button, and you can make applications fullscreen with the "fullscreen" hardware button. The need for these things will become painfully clear after using desktop apps on the tablet for even a short period of time.

A good example of the problem with the Maemo / Hildon interface with OOo is that I tried to start Writer after a crash and I got the document recovery dialog. You can't cancel it, and you can't see the buttons to know what to do next. Argh!

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
By the way, anyone who improves or extends my Debian chroot method is invited to post comments in the thread (I will update the wiki with your suggestions) or update the wiki directly.

Originally Posted by qole View Post
I don't recommend using maemo for OOo because there are some dialog boxes that don't fit on the maemo screen, and you can't hit the "OK" button.
This can be very easily circumvented by looking at
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...cking+matchbox
and applying the "DIALOGMODE = free" hack. Afterwards you can move any window by 'grasping' it from its border.

I am presently searching for a way to rightclick starting from here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post: