Active Topics

Poll: Will you buy the meego phone?
Poll Options
Will you buy the meego phone?

Posts: 151 | Thanked: 178 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ SF Bay Area
I had to vote No. I bought 3 of their 5 steps (770, N800, N900) because I was excited by the direction in which Nokia seemed to be headed and the devices were good and the software was not bad at all.

I really like my N900 but I can't bring myself to buy what has become, not step 5 of 5 but, step 5 of ...unknown.

Nor can I see myself buying one of the new WP7 phones when they show up (step 0 of ???). I've spent a little time with one and no...just no. Not for me.

Where did Meego (and before it Maemo) fail?

I believe technologically they were on track to beat the competition (iOS and Android) so the failure(s) lie elsewhere.

1) Lack of "present mainstream-edge" devices. Nokia's engineering has been sputtering for while now, but the lack of modern devices left the field completely open to everybody else. Wrt. MeeGo, Nokia could've loaded those devices with a more basic version of MeeGo initially while showing the competition how updates are done transparently. Gadget/Nokia fans would've been happy and customers impressed.

2) As I just concluded elsewhere, Nokia's ivory towers were desperate to validate their previous, hugely expensive and poorly implemented (I'm looking at you, Symbian hairball) bets on mapping and the Ovi "portal/whatnot".

MS promised to give them a cut of the loot if Nokia promises to more or less dump all of their own competing software engineering (the idea of Qt everywhere made MS execs lose sleep). MS-elop found willing co-conspirators in Nokia's boardroom.

Now, MeeGo is in a bind. Its remaining main backer Intel doesn't really want to see that platform thrive on and drive the competing ARM-platform! ARM-centric companies OTOH don't see Intel as the ideal co-developer for the same reason. Yet for MeeGo to take off in any relevant form would require devices and yet more devices to actually run it!

One long shot of a solution would be to try and port MeeGo to as many Android devices as possible (with the most popular ones like the Galaxy S first). The rationale is that the Samsungs, HTCs and LGs aren't providing their customers the Android updates (incl. security) they need. If the switching was easy and hardware and peripherals supported, "OpenMeeGo" would become very attractive alternative to running hopelessly outdated versions of Android. if users' existing data can be migrated over and at least a few key apps run under Myriad's Dalvik (which appears to be a commercial effort though, although maybe a subset could be used)...

The new short-term revenue focused Nokia obviously sees no value in doing this but for a more independent MeeGo entity and its developer community this would at least provide a platform to build upon. And the large and influential wider geek community which Nokia has worked so hard to alienate would be a force to be reckoned with.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
A noble attempt, and I'm sure it'll take more than the votes here get any attention from Nokia. Looking at Maemo.org statistics, I see we have about 51.5K members. Optimistic accessment, with 80% active members and another 80% positive vote will get you slightly above 30Ku which may put the intended sales on par with the niche or concept product ranks like the N900.

Take a look at Wikipedia's iPhone numbers. Over 70Mu sold as at end of 2010!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone
Apple sold 6.1 million original iPhone units over five quarters.[12] Recorded sales have been growing steadily thereafter, and by the end of fiscal year 2010, a total of 73.5 million iPhones were sold.[13] By 2010/2011

In the same article, Q4 2008 sales of RIM's BlackBerry amount 5.2 million units. Closer to home, Nokia Q1 2010 numbers reports:
Our own converged mobile device volumes, comprising our smartphones and mobile computers, were 21.5 million units in the first quarter 2010, an increase of 57% compared with 13.7 million units in the first quarter 2009 and 3% compared with 20.8 million units in the fourth quarter 2009.

DEVICES & SERVICES MOBILE DEVICE VOLUME
(million units) Q1/2010 Q1/2009
Total 107.8 93.2

Even if we pledged to buy 2 units (new Nokia Meego) for ourselves and our spouse, we're not even near Android, reported activated on more than 200,000 phones a day!

Each and every Maemo member would probably need to pledge at least 10units of a phone we've never heard of or seen, and not even sure of the support (will it be like Maemo?) is quite unlikely. You'll definitely need to get this moving outside this forum as well to make some noise at Nokia.

Personally, I'm hoping to keep the N900 as long as possible. Buying mobilephones where I come from is just too darn expensive to keep changing every once in a while. FYI, my N900 cost me over MYR1,600.00 (equivalent to about 266 BigMacs), so I'm not too thrilled to get a Meego device yet.

I sincerely wish you good luck! Use social marketing media! It's faster and more relevant. And don't forget nowadays being in the apps business sells better than the phones, so you'll have to consider Meego capabilities and diffusion rate.

The Following User Says Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:

Tags
elopcalypse, f*ck whitey