Active Topics

Bluetooth file sharing has been possible on the iPhone for a long time now... just need to jailbreak it.
FM Transmitter is also possible, through the 30-pin, Lightning port or the headset jack... what's your point?

There is a Cydia App that gives you crude File Explorer feature, so it is possible to share files from your PC to your iPhone via non-approved way. Otherwise, you can "Sync" files to it, as long as its the right media type or you have an App that supports it.

The OP's point was that the iPhone hasn't just surpassed the N900 in things most people use a smartphone for... he was saying the iPhone is/has caught up to some of the "exclusive" capabilities of the N900. Meanwhile, Android can do both those tasks better* than either the iPhone or N900.

I'm flattered

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I just come to think of this when reading most of this thread:

1: We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are.

2: If you judge a fish on it's ability to climb a tree it will always come out short/stupid.

Ohh I agree with most written by OP. I've gone all the way and sold my N900/N9 and bought a 4S as i didn't use them for more than just phones anymore. I do like what the 4S offers me despite the closed OS and the restirctions and iTunes.

I to must say that my phone does not define who I am, regardless of brand I'm still me and not to be boxed as a certain 'thing' and I don't get all the demeaning comments against people using iphones. You sir's that say these things are the little ones as you do not embrace but reject and seriously it's phones and OS's there's more important things to get worked up about. You might have the 'right' phone that does the 'right' things, but you're not at all open(minded) as your OS (maemo).

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by forsagar View Post
which iphone have blutooth to send or receive files from non iphone users ?
Which iphone have capabilities to trnasmit FM to my car player and my room's FM player ?
Which Iphone supports USB OTG ?
how to receive files in your iphone from my laptop if i don't have itunes in my laptop ?
All this feature N900 users using since 2009 even ios6 released in 2012 doesn't have this features.....
Many of the things you listed can easily be done by an iPhone 4S - this is sheer ignorance, it's like the majority of people here refuse to draw a distinction between the iPhone 4S/5 and the iPhone 3GS (to which the N900 was originally compared to)

As I said before, I have been into mobile technology for a long time, longer than most of you, I'm assuming (late 1990's) - go out, but an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1, jailbreak it, tweak it the want you want it, use it at your only device for 30 days if you don't think it's worth the money, then return it. Worst case scenario: you become more informed about mobile technology. Then you can get back to me.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xxxxts For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Hi , xxxts, I decided to write a reply because I think it was you that had written a quite entertaining description about the why's and how's of your early N900 ownership.
Did you re-read it lately?

The N900 has mostly gotten better in time.

There is no use for informing people here about iPhone progress as long as it still has that button for multitasking.
to me the N900 beats the iPhone regarding general ergonomics.

The thickness, the kickstand, the keyboard, the OS interface..

To me it was the likewise device that made sense after 5 minutes of use.
And it keeps getting better day by day. Today iPad3 owners feel had because apple released an update after 6 months. No such danger to N900 users. The influence of the N9 will finally wear off and community support for the N900 continues well so far (knock on wood)

We also received a free iPad 3G , so I had some time checking jailbroken iOS 4.
I could not find any mature task manager that would make it behave like an oversized N900

The only application I really admired need from iOS is Firewall IP.
It is a pro-active application based firewall that is similar to Little Snitch. These kind of applications seem to be seriously lacking on Linux (all likewise projects seem to be abandoned or have never reached mature status)

However all family members agree that the iDevice finally serves best as dictionary / encyclopedy and occasional gaming machine.

The iPad replaces the many heavy and dusty paper books and makes looking up much faster.

In general, N900 is a low stress, reliable device to me that feels like you are working on your (90's) desktop.

The whole iPhone concept, a combination of appshops, updating jailbreaks and capacitive touch screen can cause a lot of unnecessary hassle and stress to keep up with.

Below: I've noted people put some HTML 5 benches earlier in this thread so I added the one from my N900.

Greetings

http://postimage.org/image/kkkn1d397/

Last edited by ste-phan; 2012-10-24 at 10:28.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
Many of the things you listed can easily be done by an iPhone 4S - this is sheer ignorance, it's like the majority of people here refuse to draw a distinction between the iPhone 4S/5 and the iPhone 3GS (to which the N900 was originally compared to).
No, they cannot _easily_ be done. For all, you need to jailbreak the device. Definitely not trivial unless you have old HW, puts yourselfs at odds with Apple, is a cat and mouse race -- and if you are so involved with technology you know you have to avoid those like the plague. No to mention that the morality aspect of financing a company that does exactly what you DON´T want is at best questionable.
And you even need additional hardware for all the options he mentioned (except for the BT file transfer, where you only need to replace the entire BT stack. Go figure. And the same people will complain rebuilding a Linux kernel is hard...).

If you want to go down this route, then everything can be done with either device as they are both Turing machines. So, what can the iPhone that the N9/00 doesn´t? Be cute?

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-10-24 at 11:13.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Many people ask me for phone advice.
I tell them the N900 is the best smartphone for geeks who are smart and know software etc etc.

I tell them the flagship Android phone with community support (usually a Galaxy) is the best smartphone, but it has so many extras that require you to learn them.

For those who cannot code, cannot root, cannot change a Launcher... I tell them to get an iPhone.

This really is the best approach.
Sorry, these recommendations are very superficial. Because there are many user requirements and preferences. For example :
- some users ask for a real keyboard, not touch vkb. So iPhone, many Android models, N9, etc, are excluded. But a Nokia Asha 303 can be the good choice;
- some users depend a lot on off-line Maps, so a Symbian smartphone with free Nokia Maps can be a solution;
- other users want the best camera, the answer is a Nokia 808.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-10-24 at 15:41.

The Following User Says Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
As I said before, I have been into mobile technology for a long time, longer than most of you, I'm assuming (late 1990's) - go out, but an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1, jailbreak it, tweak it the want you want it, use it at your only device for 30 days if you don't think it's worth the money, then return it. Worst case scenario: you become more informed about mobile technology. Then you can get back to me.
Save your arrogant words for yourself.

iPhone without jailbreak has many limitations. But it is simple to use.

iPhone with jailbreak (which many users don't know how or don't want to do) has fewer limitations.

I remember last year that a jailbreak version for iPad needed to be applied (using a PC connected by cable) after every reboot, without it the iPad could not boot (open or not) at all ! My friend was a very talented iPhone/iPad user/geek, he could not let the iPad battery run off...
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-10-24 at 15:58.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
>>However all family members agree that the iDevice finally serves best as dictionary / encyclopedy and occasional gaming machine.<<

I agree. The built-in (inline/contextual) dictionary is great. I also found out that if I change the language to e.g. Japanese, then I get (industrial strength) Japanese dictionary in addition. For this reason alone, I am buying an iPad for myself when the time comes (the one I am using is company property). I used to rely on Windows computers, because only full scale Firefox or Chrome let me use the dictionary/translation plug-in. Android tablets (I have three) can't do it--they can, but I need to copy-paste and then use dictionary apps or Google translate; not as easy as Windows.

I also use my Android tablets (with ICS) to watch videos such as Korean TV dramas. I used to pooh-poohed iPad, because (I thought) it didn't have the video apps that I use (five or six) and it didn't have undiluted Firefox or Chrome. It turns out that iPad does have my favorite video apps and built-in dictionaries. So my first choice for browsing foreign Web sites (I read five or six languages) now is iPad (Windows is second). My only wish is for it to shed some weight.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ch88xy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Sorry, these recommendations are very superficial. Because there are many user requirements and preferences. For example :
- some users ask for a real keyboard, not touch vkb. So iPhone, many Android models, N9, etc, are excluded. But a Nokia Asha 303 can be the good choice;
- some users depend a lot on off-line Maps, so a Symbian smartphone with free Nokia Maps can be a solution;
- other users want the best camera, the answer is a Nokia 808.
What do you mean superficial?
You simply said the N900 can do these, and the iPhone cant. I simply corrected you because the iPhone can do those. You are merely grasping at straws.

Firstly the qwerty/vkb is not an issue to debate. Some people prefer one over the other. Actually the iPhone has the advantage here too because it offers a much better vkb (though cramped) and it offers BlueTooth. You can connect any keyboard you like. And since the iPhone is much more slimmer, you can have a keyboard case too. The iPhone gives you the voice where's on the N900 the choice had been made for you.

The iPhone 5's no point and shoot but it's one of the best for a phone. Its now on N8/L920 level. Compared to the N900 agreed shooter, the difference is clear.

The iPhone does have offline Maps and you don't even need to jailbreak for it.

You sound like you don't know what you are talking about.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Actually the iPhone has the advantage here too because it offers a much better vkb (though cramped) and it offers BlueTooth. You can connect any keyboard you like. ... The iPhone gives you the voice where's on the N900 the choice had been made for you.
Er, what? Are you saying that I don't have the choice to use the N900's vkb, or that I don't have the ability to use any bluetooth keyboard with the N900, or that I don't have the choice not to use the N900's integrated keyboard?

The iPhone has a virtual keyboard, and can use bluetooth keyboards. The N900 has a virtual keyboard, a hardware keyboard, and can use bluetooth keyboards. Seems like a bit more flexibility on the N900's side, I think...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:

Tags
bateman v nerds, clueless ii, iphone doucher, neckbeards pwnd