Active Topics

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I have blocked 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) on my router and no more Yandex store, Surfing etc... under Alien Dalvik.

setDNS confirms 8.8.8.8 is being used as DNS server by the Android Virtual Machine.

Since I don't want to present Google with a free listing of my every surfing behaviour (local IP + visited web addresses or update pages by my IM client)
I am now looking into how to change the DNS used by Alien Dalvik to a local DNS or openDNS.

I don't care about speed (dis)advantages.

Issue is that the available "easy tools" too change DNS on the fly point to the need of having a rooted Android, an option that is lacking in this virtual machine that offers no setup or options whatsoever.

Maybe the root enabled Sailfish host OS may change the Android DNS in the Alien Dalvik configuration files?

Does anybody have an idea where to do that?

EDIT: Ok I guess the easiest solution would be to edit the hosts file used by the Alien Dalvik Android VM

Edit
/opt/alien/system/etc/hosts

Enter line:

8.8.8.8 x.X.x.X (DNS of choice)

or in resolv.conf file?

Last edited by ste-phan; 2013-12-30 at 13:19.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Doesn't overriding the ip using hosts can cause issues with DNSSEC?

Code:
[nemo@localhost ~]$ fgrep -r 8.8.8.8 /opt/alien/
Binary file /opt/alien/system/framework/framework-res.apk matches
Binary file /opt/alien/system/framework/services.odex matches
Binary file /opt/alien/system/lib/libreference-ril.so matches
fgrep: /opt/alien/system/root/sbin/ueventd: No such file or directory
I'm wondering if using google's dns is default Android behavior. Either way, I'm unpleasantly surprised by this. I try to stay away from google and other profile-creating advertising companies, but they keep sneaking up on me

Perhaps you can ask / complain at together.jolla.com too.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 238 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic View Post
Doesn't overriding the ip using hosts can cause issues with DNSSEC?

Code:
[nemo@localhost ~]$ fgrep -r 8.8.8.8 /opt/alien/
Binary file /opt/alien/system/framework/framework-res.apk matches
Binary file /opt/alien/system/framework/services.odex matches
Binary file /opt/alien/system/lib/libreference-ril.so matches
fgrep: /opt/alien/system/root/sbin/ueventd: No such file or directory
I'm wondering if using google's dns is default Android behavior. Either way, I'm unpleasantly surprised by this. I try to stay away from google and other profile-creating advertising companies, but they keep sneaking up on me

Perhaps you can ask / complain at together.jolla.com too.
Somebody had already noticed the same issue and asked about it: https://together.jolla.com/question/...different-dns/

The Following User Says Thank You to JiiHoo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
I have installed some android applications on My jolla and I have problems with:
- Youtube - can't sign in, otherwise running flawlessly

- aCalendar - can't sign in, useless without signing in

- TeamViewer for android running perfect but NO ICON on main screen. I can run it only over last apps on android window or over aptoide: OPEN
please help

Last edited by matimilko; 2014-01-02 at 12:00.

Does anyone know an app to monitor and log internet connectivity? I would like to test whether the Jolla really is online all the time or whether there are connectivity issues, so any app that shows me if I'm connected to the internet and that can log any connection loss would be great.

and another question:
Does the amazon app store think the Jolla is a tablet?

I wanted to buy Photoshop Touch for phones, which they do carry according to the website, but all I can buy in the store is the tablet variant.

So if amazon indeed thinks the Jolla is a tablet, how can we change that? Or is something else amiss here?

Posts: 405 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London, UK
This is a bit of a stretch, but I thought I should put it somewhere. If anyone has a Jolla, banks with Barclays UK (or wants to use PingIt) and has the Play Store installed (this probably narrows it down to just myself), the app doesn't like running on a phone it thinks is rooted.

Rummaging around, it detects rooted-ness because it can see the Sailfish-side su executables on the path. If you devel-su and rename /usr/bin/su and /bin/su to something else, it's happy. I realise this sounds like a "bad idea", and there's probably better ways of doing it (where is the Alien Dalvik chroot-a-like set up?) but the phone reboots successfully without an su on the path, everything else seems ok, and you can still devel-su to root, so I'm going to say it's a "mostly safe" bodge to make an overzealous droid app happy.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitaminj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by matimilko View Post
I have installed some android applications on My jolla and I have problems with:
- Youtube - can't sign in, otherwise running flawlessly

- aCalendar - can't sign in, useless without signing in

please help
As I understand, many Android apps use accounts created using Android settings. Noticed that when I tried to get at least one calendar app running and Business Calendar informed me about it.

Posts: 162 | Thanked: 91 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ poor Slovenia
Originally Posted by shanttu View Post
As I understand, many Android apps use accounts created using Android settings. Noticed that when I tried to get at least one calendar app running and Business Calendar informed me about it.
Yes. but I can sign in in other apps like OPERA but not in Youtube and eCalendar...

Posts: 234 | Thanked: 281 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by matimilko View Post
Yes. but I can sign in in other apps like OPERA but not in Youtube and eCalendar...
Because those apps won't let you login using other methods. They just check if you have an account created via system settings and use that/those. If there does exist a google account aCalendar and YouTube would use that. In our case there aren't any accounts for apps to use and we have no way to create those.
I'm not representing this as a fact, just my own logical thinking after using Android on my Touchpad and alien dalvik on Jolla.

Tags
aindroid, essential apps