Active Topics

Originally Posted by edp17 View Post
Yep. I have destroyed the freshly installed stretch container and now my other one (Sid) doesn't start.
I only get the 'No Xwayland window' screen rather than the desktop.
I guess, shouldn't have tried to install more than one container at the same time.
Now I know the reason how I managed to destroy my Sid installation. It was the lack of knowledge.
So, as for the Stretch installation, I used the same config file what was created for my Sid installation, therefore when I started the Stretch container it used the Sid rootfs. (This explains why I got conky running however that was only installed on my Sid container.)
Then when I destroyed my Stretch container, I accidentally deleted the sid folder in /home/.lxc. With this action, I managed to delete the Sid rootfs, therefore that couldn't start.

I needed to create a new container and install Sid again. Then now I need to configure.

This was a lesson to learn in a hard way, so please do not follow my example.

About the /var/lib/lxc/<container_name>/config file. There are some container specific lines so we should not copy between containers, or if we do, just adjust these two lines accordingly:
Code:
# Container specific configuration
lxc.rootfs.path = dir:/home/.lxc/<container_name>
lxc.uts.name = <container_name>
where replace the <container_name> with your name of container.

Last edited by edp17; 2020-09-04 at 08:56.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by levone1 View Post
Getting somewhere ... I did a new container with Devuan and used your instructions, and got a window. Now to figure out how to fix the appearance. Screenshots show how it looks. I can't get any different ... Any ideas?
Thanks
If you read back my post here, you'll find some useful info about font sizes.
(I am glad that I shared that, because now I need to configure my Sid desktop again, so I can use that for myself. )

If you read back my post here, you'll find some useful info about font sizes.
(I am glad that I shared that, because now I need to configure my Sid desktop again, so I can use that for myself. )
ok, getting there now. One more thing, if you would ...

I can only get portrait mode. I used your 'debian-landscape' script, and it launches the window, but still in portrait mode. When I rotate the phone, the screen rotataes, but the desktop is still in portrait, so only see half. I see rotation swttings in Settings > Display, and I set to rotatae right or left, but no effect...

Thanks
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
ok, getting there now. One more thing, if you would ...

I can only get portrait mode. I used your 'debian-landscape' script, and it launches the window, but still in portrait mode. When I rotate the phone, the screen rotataes, but the desktop is still in portrait, so only see half. I see rotation swttings in Settings > Display, and I set to rotatae right or left, but no effect...

Thanks
Nice. You have progress. I just have tried the 'debian-mouse-landscape.sh' and for me, it starts the desktop rotated into landscape mode. Did you close the running container before you tried the landscape script?

In the script this line is responsible for the portrait or landscape mode:
for landscape:
`/usr/bin/qxcompositor --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &

for portrait:
`/usr/bin/qxcompositor -o portrait --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &

Finally, I have managed to reinstall my Sid container.
Plus I installed a Dos emulator.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Nice. You have progress. I just have tried the 'debian-mouse-landscape.sh' and for me, it starts the desktop rotated into landscape mode. Did you close the running container before you tried the landscape script?

for landscape:
`/usr/bin/qxcompositor --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &

for portrait:
`/usr/bin/qxcompositor -o portrait --wayland-socket-name "../../display/wayland-container-0"` &
ok. Going to mess around more... Now my resolution is tiny, and can't even see the menus, but I'll figure it out . Thanks

for landscape:

for portrait:
Thanks, but I tried everything - no landscape... Maybe it's specific to this phone, being a community port... Is there a file I can edit manually? I was happy to get Chromium working, but I can't get it all on the screen. Changing dpi just makes it smaller, but still cuts off the right side. I was able to add a mode using xrandr, to try to change screen resolution, but clicking on the new mode in display settings has no effect...
Thanks

edit - just found out about kwin-wayland. Going to try it... So, I was able to launch a window with kwin_wayland <width> <height> --xwayland &, but it's just an empty window. Not sure how to get it to connect with container...
Attached Images

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-06 at 14:49.

Update - got it working on Debian Sid, after installing plasma package, and plasma browser integration...
Attached Images

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-08 at 21:01.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:
Update - got it working on Debian Sid, after installing plasma package, and plasma browser integration...
"Plasma package and plasma browser integrartion"? What are these? SFOS, Debian packages or neither? How can I install them?

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
"Plasma package and plasma browser integrartion"? What are these? SFOS, Debian packages or neither? How can I install them?
I used attach option in Container app, and used apt-get to install plasma-desktop, and plasma-btowser-integration, then installed Chromium, and it shows nicely now... Also using KDE connect to transfer files from Debian to SF...(I just noticed a package - plasma-workspace - also installed. I can't really remember if I installed that or if it is just part of plasma-desktop...)

Last edited by levone1; 2020-09-10 at 20:29.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to levone1 For This Useful Post:

Tags
application, development, linux