Active Topics

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Freemangordon - that's magic. You've baws the size of spacehoppers, mate - the size of spacehoppers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
thanx for freemangordon for making cssu thumb.
there is some issue with rootfs i had added an screenshot of conky.just checkit .does any one can help in moving lib files from rootfs to make some space in rootfs? it will be good if the cssu thumb uses less rootfs.
Attached Images

Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
what happens if you use the replacement browserd by johnathan wilson mentioned here: http://www.mwkn.net/2011/45/devel.html

in http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...light=browserd romaxa also mentioned a new ipc stack which would improve performance but sadly there's been no further news afaik.
Never tried it, looks promising. Unfortunately jonwil is nowhere to be seen these days. BTW I will repeat - I will appreciate any help I can get as this is not a project for one man (even if he is freemangordon@TMO :P )

@don_falcone and others: could you try to build that iozone or whatever it is called and do some benchmarking

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by shabmanu View Post
thanx for freemangordon for making cssu thumb.
there is some issue with rootfs i had added an screenshot of conky.just checkit .does any one can help in moving lib files from rootfs to make some space in rootfs? it will be good if the cssu thumb uses less rootfs.
Sure it will be good, but I still need some hard data before making the decision to return Qt libs back to /opt. And have in mind more packages are thumb-compiled, more free space on rootfs.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MastaG View Post
Thanks freemangordon, working very well here!
I only had to reinstall pali's u-boot but the item files are already there
Also looking forward to your microb engine work.

Question:
Once the CSSU-testing gets thumb2 will we be able to switch back?
microb-engine is a totally different project, If it turned out it is not easy to be thumb-compiled then it will remain ARM.

Don't ask me about thumb inclusion in CSSU -testing and -stable flavors, ask the maintaners (MohammadAG and merlin1991), it is up to them to decide. On the other hand the packages are made in such a way, that next version of CSSU-T will overwrite -thumb version if one don't wait until respective -thumb version is out.

Community SSU developer

The Following User Says Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Amazing. @freemangordon, I love you!
I didn't hae any problems with kernel-power-settings during installation, maybe because I used apt-get, not HAM.
For removing there is an option: aptitude handle dependencies waay better that apt-get.
As for Qt libs, I did sort of test: I have run some Qt apps on N900 right after reboot, and it seems there is no visible difference in time of loading between optified and non-optified Qt libs (We aren't running after picoseconds, right?). So I am voting for optified Qt libs, as they at least saving space on rootfs, though I'm not needing it, having 33.3M free even with non-optified Qt libs.

im also getting ''internal error application closed'' error in conversation, microb and photo quiet lot..
sometimes my n900 even freeze when using qwerty..

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
As you people like to use experimental software - can you confirm that you are NOT using the updated version of libraries (compiled by marmistrz)? These libraries cause similar errors and we should not mess them up with this CSSU-thumb if we want to spot problems.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
freemangordan: if someone can provide detailed up to date insructions on setting up a build environent and emulator in Vista I'd be happy to have a look at microb. Unfortunately my only Linux device at the moment, other than N900, is an Eee 1000, and I don't fancy waiting for it to compile on there.

Might be worth PM'ing romaxa to see if he can provide any more source code or help with build set up.

I've had a look at microb-engine before but never got round to setting up and building it. I was instead assessing the feasibility of rebasing it on Firefox 7 or 8. Some patches need modifying slightly, some there are newer versions elsewhere.

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
@don_falcone and others: could you try to build that iozone or whatever it is called and do some benchmarking
Attached. Build with MADDE (install-madde-0.7.48-linux-x86_64.sh) and their current source (iozone3_408.tar):

Code:
[user@host][current] mad -t fremantle-pr13 make linux-arm

Building iozone for Linux-arm

cc -c -O3 -Dunix -DHAVE_ANSIC_C -DASYNC_IO -DHAVE_PREAD \
        -DNAME='"linux-arm"' -DLINUX_ARM -DSHARED_MEM \
        -Dlinux -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE  iozone.c \
        -o iozone_linux-arm.o
iozone.c: In function 'main':
iozone.c:2636: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
iozone.c:2651: warning: comparison is always false due to limited range of data type
cc -c -O3 -Dunix -DHAVE_ANSIC_C -DASYNC_IO -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE \
        -DSHARED_MEM -Dlinux  libbif.c -o libbif.o
cc -c -O3 -Dunix -Dlinux -DHAVE_ANSIC_C -DASYNC_IO \
        -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE  libasync.c  -o libasync.o
make: Warning: File `libasync.o' has modification time 0.0015 s in the future

Building fileop for Linux-arm

gcc -Wall -c -O3  fileop.c -o fileop_linux-arm.o

Building the pit_server

cc -c   pit_server.c  -o pit_server.o 
cc -O3  iozone_linux-arm.o libbif.o libasync.o \
        -lrt -lpthread -o iozone
cc -O3 -Dlinux fileop_linux-arm.o -o fileop
cc -O3 -Dlinux pit_server.o -o pit_server
make: warning:  Clock skew detected.  Your build may be incomplete.
Had no time to play around much with it, though but it runs. EDIT: their help is here (Google Docs), and some example usage is explained here

EDIT 2:
Still digging through the examples and manual. A (albeit "temporary") command line would be:

Code:
### Multiple thread write test:
iozone -c -i0 -l 2 -u 2 -r 32k -s 1024k -+n -w -F /usr/tmp1 /opt/tmp2

### Multiple thread read test:
iozone -c -i1 -l 2 -u 2 -r 32k -s 1024k -+n -w -F /usr/tmp1 /opt/tmp2
-l indicates the minimum number of iozone processes that should be started: 2
-u indicates the maximum number of iozone processes that should be started: 2
-F should contain multiple values. i.e If we specify 2 in both -l and -u, we should have two filenames here. Please note that only the mount points need to exists. The file specified in the -F option doesn’t need to exists, as iozone will create this temporary file during the testing. In the above example, the mount points are /usr, and /opt. The files tmp1 and tmp2 will be automatically created by iozone for testing purpose.

As i dont know a good sector size etc. there's plenty of optimization room. note that option DIRECT IO (-I) seems not supported, as i got
Code:
Can not open temp file: iozone.tmp 
open: Invalid argument
Attached Files
File Type: gz iozone.gz (186.9 KB, 90 views)

Last edited by don_falcone; 2012-06-13 at 12:16.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
code size, dinosaurs, fmg ftw!, fmg.da.king, performance, thumb, thumb life