Active Topics

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Yep, as I have said in other threads on this subject, but forgot to mention specifically here.
I believe it is important here because it means (pending confirmation of Jolla's screen type) it will have an higher "real" PPI than the N9's.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
I believe it is important here because it means (pending confirmation of Jolla's screen type) it will have an higher "real" PPI than the N9's.
Well, if it's really full RGB and not pentile, it has about 84% of the subpixels of a 720p screen, and, for example, 96% of the pixel density of a Galaxy SIII (with 4.8" screen).

Not quite state of the art, but not that bad, for me. Especially since many people do not like the b/w text rendering of pentile displays, which is what you would need the resolution for.

The Following User Says Thank You to Oblomow For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
Especially since many people do not like the b/w text rendering of pentile displays, which is what you would need the resolution for.
That and playing unmodified Open Colonization, or running any dektop app that uses a lot of windows (then again, java + wayland? capacitive screen? These seem impossible anyway) I guess we're lucky it's not nHD type of 'high definition' display :/ Time to get drunk

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by willi6868 View Post
Ah I see.. sorry

Seems to be some smart technique anyways
it depends of what you will use it for...

def not high bitrates. also hard to debug.

I would choose SPI over I2C even if it needs 2 more connectors.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2013-09-19 at 18:58.

Originally Posted by szopin View Post
That and playing unmodified Open Colonization, or running any dektop app that uses a lot of windows (then again, java + wayland? capacitive screen? These seem impossible anyway) I guess we're lucky it's not nHD type of 'high definition' display :/ Time to get drunk
I find the ppi of the n900 already on the border of being usable for desktop apps, 720p on 4.5" would be too small for me. But yes, it would have advantages regarding windows/toolbars not fitting the screen etc. But as you said, it's probably not the best phone for desktop apps anyway, pitty it doesn't have a digitizer like the Samsung Notes - but that would mean asking way too much anyway. I think all in all it's quite decent for the price they ask. Maybe it was a mistake to set this pricepoint, n900 & n9 sold for much more initially, and people bought them. OTOH, they shurely know the market better than we do.

Originally Posted by Oblomow View Post
I find the ppi of the n900 already on the border of being usable for desktop apps, 720p on 4.5" would be too small for me. But yes, it would have advantages regarding windows/toolbars not fitting the screen etc. But as you said, it's probably not the best phone for desktop apps anyway, pitty it doesn't have a digitizer like the Samsung Notes - but that would mean asking way too much anyway. I think all in all it's quite decent for the price they ask. Maybe it was a mistake to set this pricepoint, n900 & n9 sold for much more initially, and people bought them. OTOH, they shurely know the market better than we do.
Yeah, buying the device mostly for OS, but seeing how they dropped the hwkb to appeal to the masses (yes I really doubt any manufacturer will invest in design/manufacture of kb OH seeing that most likely not even a 100k devices will be around), quarter HD is not really going to appeal that much, is it. Bit of a let down, but we don't have a choice anyway. It's going to be a funny switch/ride, now instead of complaining about too new libs, we'll be ahead waiting for everyone to switch to wayland, should be a fun one

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
It's going to be a funny switch/ride, now instead of complaining about too new libs, we'll be ahead waiting for everyone to switch to wayland, should be a fun one
Never thought of this, but you're right... first mainstream wayland-qt5-based "distribution" on desktop and mobile?

And I hope they get the audio right this time for low-latency applications... would be great for multi-track recording and software-synths... and midi over i2c

Posts: 123 | Thanked: 219 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Confederatio Helvetica
Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix View Post
jolla called it "HD" and left the audience that it meant one of the two commonly understood HD resolutions:

HD (1280x720)
Full HD (1920x1080)

it should also be noted the original retina display was on a 3.5" screen.
It's the James Bond trick. The display will be HD; qHD.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rentze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by rentze View Post
It's the James Bond trick. The display will be HD; qHD.
"HD, qHD" is more like “Powers, Austin Powers“

Last edited by Leinad; 2013-09-19 at 23:21.

The Following User Says Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Originally Posted by jedibeeftrix
I hope we get some real specs at the second preorder.
I am ready to drop the cash, but I want to know what I am buying...
Why?
I've got specs enough: It's a Genuine Jolla device running SailfishOS. I even know the price tag for it
What else do you need to know really? How will it make you happier to know something else?
still seem silly?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
device, jolla, jolla phone, pre-order