Active Topics

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
I travel quite a bit between time zones.

I want to be able to set an alarm based on my destination time, rather than my home time. With the current set up I found that I could not without set an alarm for my destination time zone without changing the local clock.

You can find the brainstorm at

http://maemo.org/community/brainstor...not_home_time/

The Following User Says Thank You to geodv8 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by geodv8 View Post
I want to be able to set an alarm based on my destination time, rather than my home time. With the current set up I found that I could not without set an alarm for my destination time zone without changing the local clock.
I've set my N900 to switch timezones when I travel, and that works pretty well, except with some daylight saving glitches.

However, location-aware alarms might be very useful for a completely different use case: if you want to sleep in public transport you could set your N900 to wake you up when approaching a destination.

Originally Posted by bergie View Post
However, location-aware alarms might be very useful for a completely different use case: if you want to sleep in public transport you could set your N900 to wake you up when approaching a destination.
That sounds extremely clever. Might actually be something interesting for google summer of code, isn't it? I'd actually be interested in using this in a proposal.
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
That sounds extremely clever. Might actually be something interesting for google summer of code, isn't it? I'd actually be interested in using this in a proposal.
Yes, it would fit the scope of Maemo GSoC pretty well. iNap is such an alarm clock for iPhone and Android.

Actually, I think it's too simple, and not many people would be using it. If I find the time, I'll try and include such functionality in my alarmed app (linked in signature)
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Gent, Belgium
looking at the location awareness for alarms etc, the "Shepherd" source/event/action/alerting framework in the works by Attila (search in the forum for more info) should cater for this requirement easily. I think he's waiting for PR1.2 to release it.

Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
Actually, I think it's too simple, and not many people would be using it. If I find the time, I'll try and include such functionality in my alarmed app (linked in signature)
Just remember that the UI needs to be dead simple. After all, use case is sitting in a bus or train, already half asleep...