Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
https://jolla.com/en/

I get the plastic coloured case.
I get that it activates a similar colour on the phone and maybe individual themes....

Hmm... it all sounds gimmicky, ihalf

The HW seems ordinary at best.

Apart from being native linux, is there anything thing else to be excited about?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by bingomion View Post
https://jolla.com/en/

I get the plastic coloured case.
I get that it activates a similar colour on the phone and maybe individual themes....

Hmm... it all sounds gimmicky, ihalf

The HW seems ordinary at best.

Apart from being native linux, is there anything thing else to be excited about?
Wait until jolla reveals the whole story, if they ever do. But I agree, if it's only a plastic with different colors its pretty lame, but I hope for some more.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Its about making accessories that change the nature of the mobile, more than cases and such have done in the past. Embedded electronics into accessories is a bit different than norm.

Also, culturally, speaking towards the markets Jolla is working towards, its about respecting aspects of individuality (exterior) while keeping aspects of the software the same. That's a flip of the current model (software as personalized but the exterior mostly the same). Seems subtle, but is very receptive to some E. European, Asian, Pacific perspectives.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Barcelona
If only "the other half" was a qwerty keyboard...

Posts: 1,390 | Thanked: 710 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Beirut, Lebanon
Originally Posted by damnshock View Post
If only "the other half" was a qwerty keyboard...
That'd be a killer. Everybody would definitely buy it in such case

Originally Posted by Dave999
I will vote AMD for president next time if I'm having any shares during next meeting.

Do good for a human being and like my art page!

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
The other half is Lumiaman

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by AMD View Post
That'd be a killer. Everybody would definitely buy it in such case
Nobody would buy a phone with a hardware keyboard nowadays

HWKB is from the 90s and will never come back on a mainstream device And no company would make a fixed hwkb if they want to sell the device. A detachable half (hwkb - if at all it isn't a myth) is just an option to satisfy the ones who had used N900/N950 in the past. No one else would buy it

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-07-26 at 19:16.

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I disagree. They quote the numbers, but the numbers lie. Yeah nobody buys qwerty anymore. BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY DECENT QWERTIES. Not because typing on a touchscreen is better.

Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
I disagree. They quote the numbers, but the numbers lie. Yeah nobody buys qwerty anymore. BECAUSE THERE AREN'T ANY DECENT QWERTIES. Not because typing on a touchscreen is better.
It's because phones with a large screen and qwerty must use a sliding device and a flex. Flex is possible to break easily. People are afraid of flexes. The only decent qwerty was on the N900, still the flex problem, people are scared of sliding phones with flex.

End of story. They will start building larger screens so the kbd won't even bother you wile typing, like the note.

The N97 mini has the best "slide" (tilt !) mechanism out there. Heaps better than the N900's... the only downsides is that its a really thick device.

The sliding mechanism on the Droid 3 / 4 is as good as the N900's.
Except its a much much thinner device.

Best option would be the N97's mechanism with something sturdy like metal hinges instead of plastic, on a device as thin (13mm) as the latest Droids.

I'm flattered