Banned | Posts: 280 | Thanked: 295 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Romania
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
The N97 mini has the best "slide" (tilt !) mechanism out there. Heaps better than the N900's... the only downsides is that its a really thick device.

The sliding mechanism on the Droid 3 / 4 is as good as the N900's.
Except its a much much thinner device.

Best option would be the N97's mechanism with something sturdy like metal hinges instead of plastic, on a device as thin (13mm) as the latest Droids.
Yeah but tere is the quality of the mechanism and the second is the quality of the flex cable...

Some users had Touchscreen issues with the N97.
The thin flex cables (three of them) would lose proper contact/bridge.

Nokia solved this issue.
It also solved the case of the self-harming camera lens.
The backplate that didn't fit in 100%.
The softness of the tilter (made more sturdy).
Replaced the main tilter material of plastic to Aluminium.
The buggy firmware.
And anaemic RAM allowance (Nokia bumped it "up" by 10-15 MBs).

Great concept, ruined by poor Nokia execution!

I'm flattered

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I agree with the poster. I dont understand the other half either. It doesnt look good. They should start off simple, and build upon it. Whenever you try to put together pieces, difficulties rise exponentially. Keyboards are inherently more difficult to build and Jolla is no Nokia.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Originally Posted by Lumiaman View Post
I agree with the poster. I dont understand the other half either. It doesnt look good. They should start off simple, and build upon it. Whenever you try to put together pieces, difficulties rise exponentially. Keyboards are inherently more difficult to build and Jolla is no Nokia.
Jolla *is* starting simple. They are just doing back covers. Its *us* who are making conjecture towards what else is possible that's making it harder.

So, when you think about mobile-snap-on accessories that are simple, besides cases, covers, batteries, speakers, and camera... what else is simple enough to be an opportunity for Jolla and mobile.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
OK. So they're just making back covers? Replaceable ones like we have on some Lumias and Ashas (501?) Nothing else? Then why the 'Other half' hype?

Last edited by ranbaxy; 2013-07-30 at 13:49.

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
The other half has hardware connectors (the prototype did not have them but a device on the last meetup showed connectors), means you can build a DSLR camera without any controls, no screen but a Jolla dock... you can build a spaceshuttle if need be with a jolla dock. Start thinking different, use your imagination!

Just to let you trolls know, this is off-topic and not DMZ!

Originally Posted by chemist View Post
The other half has hardware connectors (the prototype did not have them but a device on the last meetup showed connectors), means you can build a DSLR camera without any controls, no screen but a Jolla dock... you can build a spaceshuttle if need be with a jolla dock. Start thinking different, use your imagination!

Just to let you trolls know, this is off-topic and not DMZ!
Wait, you mean they already have production run devices??? Any pictures from that meetup?

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Pics or it didn't happen

Administrator | Posts: 1,036 | Thanked: 2,019 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Wait, you mean they already have production run devices??? Any pictures from that meetup?
Don't know if they are production devices or another step to it, it was mentioned showing connectors for the other half but no pics in some review from kde's Akademy - I think it was refered to on facebook - so it is up to you believing a reviewer or even me that there are connectors and not only NFC - the keynote stream is

http://ftp5.gwdg.de/pub/linux/kde/ex...ilfish_OS.webm

at ~11:30 there are at least bidirectional powerconnectors mentioned
linked here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90569

although some stuff mentioned at the akademy is already obsolete...

Last edited by chemist; 2013-07-30 at 23:02.