Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by MAX9 View Post
Yes, overclock and many tweaks....but:

I flash my device with your new kernel image, now, 6 starts with 6x boot into Harmattan
Yes, I finally tackled that ominous 1603 problem, and it seems that helps with other versions too

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Confirmed working for 1507 black N9.

Finally, I don't have to wait for the system to settle and drop down to 0MHz at sleep to use it.

Posts: 2,021 | Thanked: 1,060 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Hong Kong
@Juiceme

I confirmed latest kernel worked with my 1603 version
Thanks you!

The Following User Says Thank You to TMavica For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
@juiceme Congrats for finding 1603 problem.

Finally I managed to update to -02.
And it worked out of the box

I still have some remarks.

First one is just "cosmetic". Would you mind taking out partition 8 and 9 from configuration and init? Our standard compiled kernels only support up to 8 devices (7 partitions). We would need to have recompiled kernel to support more than 7 partitions (and that would count for ubi kernel as well as harmattan/nitdroid/nemo (possibly sailfish? ) kernels.

Second one is I would like to give my device(s) a unique IP address. Even for telnet usage. I know x.x.x.15 is kind of standard, but would like to have my own. So just adding a G_IP_ADDRESS would be fine. (after reading sources I think just adding IP_ADDRESS= to ubiboot.conf will work. Not yet tested) So maybe obsolete.

Third one is a bug (probably). Did you or anyone else was successful with version -02 and using mtd5?
I moved my old v-01 sources to mtd and worked flawlessly with mtd5 kernel. Then I copied ubiboot.conf and cpio to root of mtd5 and also to MyDocs/boot. But the files from mtd are never read and always MyDocs/boot config used. Of course flashe v-02 ubi kernel.
I think you not only need to detach mtd device, but also delete ubi device (-d 0); otherwise moslo will be mounted to ubi1:moslo. So either add ubidetach -d 0 or just exchange ubi0:moslo to ubi1:moslo.

I also moved my nemo from p7 to p6 and everythings works.
Nitdroid without any changes work.

I wanted to boot nit from p5:
I copied my full p2 to p5 (of course together with all kernels in boot), moved nit folder to p5, changed nitdroid partition number to 5 in config. And here comes my problem. Nitdroid does not want to start. It always shuts down with black screen: selection in ubi works, selecting nit kernel works (ubi log kexec load success), but then I have dim-lighted black screen for about a few (30?) seconds and device is off. Power button for 3 s jsust boots up again. I have nfc what is biting me here? Maybe watchdog, as it seems not to be started by default. Maybe we can discuss this on irc next days?
I already added some logging to preinit_nitdrod, and it seems execution gets stuck randomly during execution (sometimes during check_rootfs, sometimes a bit later at mounting p3, but never getting to droidboot???

--edit
Ah and maybe one more (to be confirmed tomorrow morning).
Charging an empty device with wall charger works in act-dead mode. But this morning it was still connected to charger and an alarm fired up: no light on display, no UI at all, no possibility to stop the alarm ...

--edit2
Confirming the total absence of UI, when device is on charger in act-dead and an alarm triggers.
An alarm triggered when off (not charging) works nice. Even so when the device is powered on.

Furthermore I experienced that the act#ead charging mode worked only 1 out of 3 times. I had device off, plugged charger, then it booted, shut down (steady LED) and rebooted to telnet console. I pulled charger, pushed power button for 8s and tried again. Same. Only af the third time I saw the charging symbol.
Logs do not tell any suspicious (to me ).

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2013-06-20 at 07:35. Reason: typos

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
@juiceme Congrats for finding 1603 problem.

Finally I managed to update to -02.
And it worked out of the box

I still have some remarks.

First one is just "cosmetic". Would you mind taking out partition 8 and 9 from configuration and init? Our standard compiled kernels only support up to 8 devices (7 partitions). We would need to have recompiled kernel to support more than 7 partitions (and that would count for ubi kernel as well as harmattan/nitdroid/nemo (possibly sailfish? ) kernels.

Second one is I would like to give my device(s) a unique IP address. Even for telnet usage. I know x.x.x.15 is kind of standard, but would like to have my own. So just adding a G_IP_ADDRESS would be fine. (after reading sources I think just adding IP_ADDRESS= to ubiboot.conf will work. Not yet tested) So maybe obsolete.

Third one is a bug (probably). Did you or anyone else was successful with version -02 and using mtd5?
I moved my old v-01 sources to mtd and worked flawlessly with mtd5 kernel. Then I copied ubiboot.conf and cpio to root of mtd5 and also to MyDocs/boot. But the files from mtd are never read and always MyDocs/boot config used. Of course flashe v-02 ubi kernel.
I think you not only need to detach mtd device, but also delete ubi device (-d 0); otherwise moslo will be mounted to ubi1:moslo. So either add ubidetach -d 0 or just exchange ubi0:moslo to ubi1:moslo.

I also moved my nemo from p7 to p6 and everythings works.
Nitdroid without any changes work.

I copied my full p2 to p5 (of course together with all kernels in boot), moved nit folder to p5, changed nitdroid partition number to 5 in config. And here comes my problem. Nitdroid does not want to start. It always shuts down with black screen: selection in ubi works, selecting nit kernel works (ubi log kexec load success), but then I have dim-lighted black screen for about a few (30?) seconds and device is off. Power button for 3 s jsust boots up again. I have nfc what is biting me here? Maybe watchdog, as it seems not to be started by default. Maybe we can discuss this on irc next days?
I already added some logging to preinit_nitdrod, and it seems execution gets stuck randomly during execution (sometimes during check_rootfs, sometimes a bit later at mounting p3, but never getting to droidboot???

--edit
Charging an empty device with wall charger works in act-dead mode. But this morning it was still connected to charger and an alarm fired up: no light on display, no UI at all, no possibility to stop the alarm ...

--edit2
Confirming the total absence of UI, when device is on charger in act-dead and an alarm triggers.
An alarm triggered when off (not charging) works nice. Even so when the device is powered on.

Furthermore I experienced that the act-dead charging mode worked only 1 out of 3 times. I had device off, plugged charger, then it booted, shut down (steady LED) and rebooted to telnet console. I pulled charger, pushed power button for 8s and tried again. Same. Only af the third time I saw the charging symbol.
Also for me charging a powered off phone (obviously with a wall charger) didn't work; instead of charging was activated only maintenance mode.. In fact I used the flasher trick to do it..
The second edit seems the same problem of the first start alarm bug (maybe isn't this the case) that have users (me too) that installed the CODeRUS Unrestricted System UI, solvable with the deactivation of the orientation widget with:
Code:
gconftool -s --type=bool /desktop/meego/status_menu/widgets/orientation/working false

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-06-20 at 11:18.

I feel really stupid posting it. But I seem to have hit a roadblock. Where do I place the kernels? What do I mount what folders do I create? I do have the open kernel and I am able to perform all the steps correctly. but I don't know where to place the kernel. I am stumped having been trying this for over a week now. Can someone please help?

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ncik View Post
I feel really stupid posting it. But I seem to have hit a roadblock. Where do I place the kernels? What do I mount what folders do I create? I do have the open kernel and I am able to perform all the steps correctly. but I don't know where to place the kernel. I am stumped having been trying this for over a week now. Can someone please help?
You don't have to mount any partition, because you'd better use (because it's updated) the ubiboot-02 method.
The kernel/kernels (I put in mind that everything else is in place), with correct names as writed in the README file, for the Harmattan and NITdroid must be placed into the /boot directory of the Harmattan root; the ubiboot-02.menus.cpio file and ubiboot.conf (this one edited with the correct names that you have given to kernels) file must be placed into /boot of the Harmattan eMMC.

Recapitulating with full path, starting from the root (/), for clarity:
  • The kernels (only for Harmattan and NITdroid because for Nemo it's different) must be placed into /boot directory.
  • The Ubiboot files (described above) must be placed into /home/user/MyDocs/boot directory

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-06-20 at 18:17.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by death_jax View Post
You don't have to mount any partition, because you'd better use (because it's updated) the ubiboot-02 method.
Recapitulating with full path, starting from the root (/), for clarity:
  • The kernels (only for Harmattan and NITdroid because for Nemo it's different) must be placed into /boot directory.
  • The Ubiboot files (described above) must be placed into /home/user/MyDocs/boot directory
Exactly.

Also for me charging a powered off phone (obviously with a wall charger) didn't work; instead of charging was activated only maintenance mode.. In fact I used the flasher trick to do it..
The second edit seems the same problem of the first start alarm bug (maybe isn't this the case) that have users (me too) that installed the CODeRUS Unrestricted System UI, solvable with the deactivation of the orientation widget with:
Code:
gconftool -s --type=bool /desktop/meego/status_menu/widgets/orientation/working false
flasher trick? Did I miss something? Could you please elaborate?

I do not (yet) have unrestricted system UI installed. Nor do I have that tree in gconf settings.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
peterleinchen,

The "flasher trick" is not a trick but just using flasher to charge the phone to around 10% before plugging it into a wall charger to continue charging... since a flash doesnt occur before the battery is at 11%, flasher charges it to that level...

Regarding the alarms, maybe death_jax is referring to unrestricted sys-ui as its known to cause the same issue on non-ubiboot phones too. However although the symptoms are the same here, your case seems to be caused by ubiboot while his problem is a common unrestricted sys-ui issue...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Allright, I have been off-line for a longish time, sorry for that. I was off on a trip to Far North, and after some incident with shovel&wheelbarrows called physical work I hurt my back. I have been on sick leave for few days...

Here's some combination of answers I can dream up at the spur of the moment. Later to follow...

First one is just "cosmetic". Would you mind taking out partition 8 and 9 from configuration and init? Our standard compiled kernels only support up to 8 devices (7 partitions).
Yes, no problem in that. Will do it in the next release.

Second one is I would like to give my device(s) a unique IP address. Even for telnet usage. I know x.x.x.15 is kind of standard, but would like to have my own.
A reasonable request, can do that in the next release.
Also might add something on the DHCP side, currently it gives 192.168.0.100 as the address of the USB device on the PC, should maybe set that also as configurable...

Yes, I did test it on my device, but of course it might be that I made a typo or missed a line in the version I actually released... silly things like that happen all the time.
I'll have to test that, and if found guilty, it'll be corrected.

This I have to confess I have not tested. I have NIT only on the default loction, and did not try to place it on a different partition.
It sure sounds like a WD problem, and those are a bitch to debug...

Hmm, never tested that, true. I'll have to see what's with the selection logic but it should actually work, as it detects the mode first and then launches the kernel with the appropriate mode.
Actually when it's in the charging/ACT_DEAD mode, when the alarm later triggers it should not restart ubiboot as it is already running a Harmattan instance, just without user input functionality.

Furthermore I experienced that the act#ead charging mode worked only 1 out of 3 times. I had device off, plugged charger, then it booted, shut down (steady LED) and rebooted to telnet console. I pulled charger, pushed power button for 8s and tried again. Same. Only af the third time I saw the charging symbol.
Well, there is some starngeness going on when the device is in ACT_DEAD mode, I have myself noticed that it can start Harmattan more or less spontaniously without going down to ubiboot, when the charger is disconnected and the power button is pressed. I assume tht's a shortcut that has been created to make it boot a bit quicker.

Also for me charging a powered off phone (obviously with a wall charger) didn't work; instead of charging was activated only maintenance mode.. In fact I used the flasher trick to do it...
So, your device always wakes up to ubiboot when you plug in the wall charger in a powered-down mode?
That should not happen, do you have the setting "G_OVERRIDE_USB_CHARGER_BOOT=1" in your ubiboot.conf?
Also you do need to have G_DEFAULT_OS and G_DEFAULT_KERNEL set up to start a Harmattan kernel.

Originally Posted by ncik View Post
I feel really stupid posting it. But I seem to have hit a roadblock. Where do I place the kernels?
No need to feel stupid, I have found out that quite a few people have trouble figuring out that. The problem is that when you are running Harmattan you have a different view of the mounted filesystem than when you are running ubiboot. The README document evidently does not make that clear enough.
I hope you managed to do that with the good advice people gave you here...

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
Regarding the alarms, maybe death_jax is referring to unrestricted sys-ui as its known to cause the same issue on non-ubiboot phones too. However although the symptoms are the same here, your case seems to be caused by ubiboot while his problem is a common unrestricted sys-ui issue...
Indeed, I am fairly sure these problems are not caused by the same thing, even as the symptoms are same.
More testing is obviously required.

Some additional random things; I still have not had time to fix the ssh server to ubiboot. I hope to get to that sometime soonish... Also I thought of adding WLAN configuration to ubiboot, enabling telnet to the device without having the USB connection present.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: