You don't have to mount any partition, because you'd better use (because it's updated) the ubiboot-02 method.
The kernel/kernels (I put in mind that everything else is in place), with correct names as writed in the README file, for the Harmattan and NITdroid must be placed into the /boot directory of the Harmattan root; the ubiboot-02.menus.cpio file and ubiboot.conf (this one edited with the correct names that you have given to kernels) file must be placed into /boot of the Harmattan eMMC.

Recapitulating with full path, starting from the root (/), for clarity:

The kernels (only for Harmattan and NITdroid because for Nemo it's different) must be placed into /boot directory.
The Ubiboot files (described above) must be placed into /home/user/MyDocs/boot directory

[QUOTE=juiceme;1353573]
No need to feel stupid, I have found out that quite a few people have trouble figuring out that. The problem is that when you are running Harmattan you have a different view of the mounted filesystem than when you are running ubiboot. The README document evidently does not make that clear enough.
I hope you managed to do that with the good advice people gave you here...]

Thanks a lot for the advice. I was finally able to boot using ubiboot but for some reason it boots into Harmattan even when I pick Nitdroid. I am not sure what to do to resolve this issue. Also where to I find the modules to put in the "/lib/modules" directory. Where can I find instructions to install Nemo. Thanks for all the help.

Posts: 326 | Thanked: 122 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ Italy
Originally Posted by ncik View Post
You don't have to mount any partition, because you'd better use (because it's updated) the ubiboot-02 method.
The kernel/kernels (I put in mind that everything else is in place), with correct names as writed in the README file, for the Harmattan and NITdroid must be placed into the /boot directory of the Harmattan root; the ubiboot-02.menus.cpio file and ubiboot.conf (this one edited with the correct names that you have given to kernels) file must be placed into /boot of the Harmattan eMMC.

Recapitulating with full path, starting from the root (/), for clarity:

The kernels (only for Harmattan and NITdroid because for Nemo it's different) must be placed into /boot directory.
The Ubiboot files (described above) must be placed into /home/user/MyDocs/boot directory

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
No need to feel stupid, I have found out that quite a few people have trouble figuring out that. The problem is that when you are running Harmattan you have a different view of the mounted filesystem than when you are running ubiboot. The README document evidently does not make that clear enough.
I hope you managed to do that with the good advice people gave you here...]
Thanks a lot for the advice. I was finally able to boot using ubiboot but for some reason it boots into Harmattan even when I pick Nitdroid. I am not sure what to do to resolve this issue. Also where to I find the modules to put in the "/lib/modules" directory. Where can I find instructions to install Nemo. Thanks for all the help.
There is no need, for us, to use the /lib/modules..
For Nemo installation I advise you not to think about it now, but maybe later, after a better understanding of boot of Harmattan/NITdroid.
For NITdroid boot problem: did you put the NITdroid kernel file in the right place?
Did you edited correctly the Ubiboot.conf file?
Did you extracted the NITdroid system files correctly?

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-06-21 at 17:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
So, your device always wakes up to ubiboot when you plug in the wall charger in a powered-down mode?
That should not happen, do you have the setting "G_OVERRIDE_USB_CHARGER_BOOT=1" in your ubiboot.conf?
Also you do need to have G_DEFAULT_OS and G_DEFAULT_KERNEL set up to start a Harmattan kernel.
Yes, both G_OVERRIDE_RTC_ALARM_BOOT=1 and G_OVERRIDE_USB_CHARGER_BOOT=1, the same for G_DEFAULT_OS="Harmattan" and G_DEFAULT_KERNEL="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix", setted as you can see (the latter is the same as G_HARMATTAN_1_FILE="/boot/Harmattan/boot/zImage_2.6.32.54-openmode_l2fix").

Originally Posted by death_jax View Post
There is no need, for us, to use the /lib/modules..
For Nemo installation I advise you not to think about it now, but maybe later, after a better understanding of boot of Harmattan/NITdroid.
For NITdroid boot problem: did you put the NITdroid kernel file in the right place?
Did you edited correctly the Ubiboot.conf file?
Did you extracted the NITdroid system files correctly?
I placed the NITdroid kernel at the same place as the other kernel which is /boot. Does the ubiboot.conf need to be changed or should it be the default one I did extract the files to /home/nitrdoid using the instructions provided in the other thread. I was able to successfully boot in nitrdoid before installing ubiboot. Again thanks for your help.

Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
/boot is correct place and /home/nitdroid also correct ...

What about posting output of
ls -al /boot
nitdroid section of ubiboot.conf
/var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg
?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
I placed the NITdroid kernel at the same place as the other kernel which is /boot. Does the ubiboot.conf need to be changed or should it be the default one I did extract the files to /home/nitrdoid using the instructions provided in the other thread. I was able to successfully boot in nitrdoid before installing ubiboot. Again thanks for your help.
The only reason why you have to change the default values of ubiboot.conf is, as I did, to delete the unnecessary kernel entries for both Harmattan and NITdroid.
As peterleinchen wroted, in order to help you, you must post the file in the /boot folder and the content and your NITdroid entries section in ubiboot.conf file (starting from # Nitdroid kernels)

Last edited by death_jax; 2013-06-21 at 17:22.

The Following User Says Thank You to death_jax For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
/boot is correct place and /home/nitdroid also correct ...

What about posting output of
ls -al /boot
nitdroid section of ubiboot.conf
/var/log/ubiboot.log and /var/log/ubiboot.dmesg
?

Thanks a lot. I got everything working. Just wasn't waiting long enough. Android is really slow though. I am not sure why. Now I have to learn more and install Nemo. Thanks a lot for your support.

Ah yes, especially on first boot it takes ages.

Furthermore you should get the latest nit kernel from e-yes with juiceme's L2 cache fix. Check http://downloads.nitdroid.com/e-yes/n9/ubiboot/

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
The difference of the Harmattan boot and Nitdroid boot is in the preinit file it launches, you propably should check that your "/sbin/preinit_nitdroid" file is corret.

And also, as long as you ar onto it, I'd advice you to use the default Harmattan preinit file instead of the one I provide as "/sbin/preinit_harmattan" in the preinits.tar file... many people report that the file in the archive is not so reliable as the original Harmattan preinit. (I trimmed it down a bit, removed parts that I did not think were that useful and maybe I went a bit too far...)

... preinit file ...
That reminds me of another remark :
in your cut down preinit_harmattan is only one problem (compared your version with original one), the early start up of usb network! You remember?
I have it commented out, but now as I write I believe a configurable option could be nice to have early telnet/ssh possibilty during harmattan as we have in nitdroid and nemo. But I do not know if it makes sense at all and how to fetch config values in preinit? Do you get me, juiceme? Or just talking bullsh.t?

For preinit_nitdroid I also would like to fetch config values from ubiboot.conf, but who cares? Only me probably and so I just edit the preinit_nitdroid directly. Maybe one day I will get it starting from p5 !?