Notices

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by blachner View Post
I have not done as much as I want to do on the Frodo Meamo port in the last years, because for different reasons I haven't much spare time.
And yet, it appears that you have done more than anyone else in the world, in that time!

Things I have done:
- On screen settings dialogs. In my opinion this is in early beta state.
- Beginning packaging for N810. Works well, but I never released it.

What is really missing for a good maemo port for devices without keyboard, is a integrated on screen keyboard.
The way maemo / N800 integrates on-screen keyboard with apps is simply not applicable to emulators, because the host OS does not know (can not know, really) anything about the programs runninng in the emulator. We fall back to lower-level X input (xkbd, xvkbd) for this reason. Addison's tireless work making this better is perhaps under-appreciated here.

What are my plans in the near term (Hopefully ):
- I try to restart my maemo development and release Frodo beta packages for N810. Why not already done see problems below. ;-)
- Solve the problems with on screen settings dialogs and release a final version for N810.
If you need fast answers on basic sdk/dev issues, stop by #maemo irc channel on freenode. T.M.O isn't much of a dev hangout anymore.

Problems:
- Unfortunately I have some trouble with scrachtchbox installation on openSUSE 11.2 64 Bit. You can read about this in another thread here.
- An other problem I have, is not a technical problem. Because I don't know 100% about the C64 ROM copyright situation I will remove the integrated ROM code in Frodo before I release packages. Or can someone tell me who is the current copyright owner of the C64 ROMs and if free usage is allowed?
I found three companies that have distributed these ROMS commercialy since the demise of Commodore in 1964.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QVC
http://www.c64forever.com/
http://www.amazon.de/C64-Classix-Gol.../dp/B000QGDWX0

The last link is to a CD of C64 games distributed in germany. Cheap and legal, plus you get a nice set of games.

- I have decided for me, not to work on an on screen keyboard on current Frodo/SDL base.
- I think it would be better to port Frodo to Qt and use Qt GUI elements for settings dialog and use the system On screen keyboard if needed.
- Nevertheless a real C64 on screen keyboard with C64 layout based on Qt would be nice too.

What are the benefits of this plan:
- GUI is easier to develop.
- Frodo/Qt should work on future Maemo and Symbian devices which offer Qt.
- Frodo/Qt also could work on Windows Mobile.
Well whoever does the work, gets to pick the path.

A SDL-keyboard has been written, but there may be no good way to integrate it in such a way to work for any SDL program.

I hope I have time to do this, but Help is welcome. A garage project to work together already exists. At the moement there is no code because I use the Frodo CVS from the original author of Frodo. But I think the code of a Frodo Qt port should move to this project when development starts.
Perhaps a look at the hildon-games framework is in order. I think a frontend in native-OS style (hildon or qt) is much preferable to in-screen UI.

Thanks Blachner, and frohe Weihnachten

btw a coder named Manomio apparently got therights. But apple rejected the emulator --- because it was an emulator that could run other code!

http://toucharcade.com/2009/06/20/fu...rom-app-store/
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/...om-app-store/1

Last edited by ArnimS; 2009-12-21 at 20:00. Reason: edit - found a guy who got legal permision to distribute the bios

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the update and your contributions blachner! We're eagerly waiting for the next release.

no reason to not have a full keyboard in sdl games

Wow, looks great. What game is that?
Can't wait to load "*",8

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Venezia
Originally Posted by ArnimS View Post
no reason to not have a full keyboard in sdl games
The game could be Ultima "something".
But the keyboard... I've never seen that: cool.
Is it just a customization of the game, or something runnable on top of any app?

Sorry for being idiot, but does Frodo emulator work on n900?

Originally Posted by fabbro View Post
The game could be Ultima "something".
But the keyboard... I've never seen that: cool.
Is it just a customization of the game, or something runnable on top of any app?
It's just a mockup I did, showing what i want.

"Why hasen't aneyone done it yet!?!11 Oh yea caus >>>I<<< dint do it!"

I is you ...

The Following User Says Thank You to ArnimS For This Useful Post:
Somehow I missed the update to this thread. Looking forward to the update! Sounds like you've done a lot of work already that we will one day see!

Posts: 19 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ France
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
Sorry for being idiot, but does Frodo emulator work on n900?
That makes 2 idiots
No really...I'm seriously interested....especially with the TV-output of the N900, you can have a C64 in box.

-=AC=-

any update on qtc64 or n900 runnable version?