Active Topics

Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

Actually i'm in brazil and found one guy in São Paulo who put a new connector to the mainboard (with special solderin iron and hot air) and glued it ith expoid.

I payed about 50$ for fixing that issue. He warned me that this service is only possible once and it might be that next time it might not be fixable any more...

Nokia producing real $hit as of 2005... This as the last Nokia i bought in 13 years... I'll change to Samsung i guess...

mines just broken am hoping they can fix it. if they send me an n8 I guess I'll try and sell it and buy another N900

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
On the subject of superglue, I have seen assurances that it won't work as a long term solution and will probably cause unfixable harm.

About where Nokia gets spare N900s, I imagine that returns trickle in from stores from time to time, but not on a predictible schedule.

sent mine off today. am hoping they either fix it. send me a replacement n900, money or a last resort of a e7 which am going to sell for an n900

I fixed it! I'm so happy right now! My connection did not work anymore, but the port was not completely broken, just loose. So after opening my N900 with much sweating, I secured the port firmly to the mainboard with a clip and then applied some epoxy on both sides of the port. After letting it dry, it seems to work fine right now...

If you notice that your connection is just about to stop working and you are sure that there is not too much damage done to the solder joints, this might be the easiest fix for you.

Sending it back to Nokia was not an option for me since I don't want a replacement Symbian device but a Maemo device.

Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Got an N900 back today, no marks etc so a good replacement.

One thing to note is Nokia send out replacements without a back cover and battery, so when you send your device back remember to remove them!

Cost me about £9 on ebay to replace the battery and back cover, because the people at the local repair centre (that gave me the freepost form) told me to send it back with the battery and cover!!!

If you are sending it back for repair (and actually want an N900 back) just hassle them till you get it!

They also replaced my phone for an N8 which I am not happy with! Has anyone who recieved an N8 managed to get it replaced for a E7? If so what number did they contact?

I am in the UK and my repair was done through Nokia Repair centre via carphone warehouse.

I already have a secondary N900 - I just want the phone with the most value or my money back!

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ FLORIDA
So I've been following the maemo.org community for quite sometime now, just never registered, so as of today i am feedup with Nokia and the poor construction of the micro usb. I've owned many HTC devices and never had an issue with the micro usb. Don't get it confused I've always been a die hard fan ever since the old school nokia block phone wit snack and a green back lite screen and I have evolved with them through the ages.All the way up to the N900 which I purposely waited until just about the end of 2010 to make sure I wouldn't run into any of the problems that have been an "issue." But recently starting back in June of 2011 which mind you now I hadn't used to the phone for 3 months out of the 9 months I had it. Not to mention babied it and guarded it with my life from any little thing. But in June I had the issue of the charging port coming out. Again this is the type of phone you guard with your life (considering maemo is no longer available - _ - ) So I called Nokia even after reading about the issue and they made it sound hassle-free, sent me a shipping label for UPS kept it for only 7 days including shipping time and sent it back to me repaired. However less than a week later, (again paying even more special attention to the charging port), the charging port ripped right out talking out the whole connector still connected to the charging cable. So I contacted them again of course went through the whole process again (by this time this was my 6th phone call to them) and they said they would repair it. They actually did not repair my device rather sent it back to me and I received it today with a print out saying, pretty much in short that there was physical and liquid damage. Being that I was covered under warranty and had the phone for less than a week before the issue happened again there was no possible way I'd just rip the charging port out of my phone, which I love and is discontinued, AND why in the hell would I let it get near any liquid the second time around if I didn't let it happen the first time. After another phone call to customer service they have said that they're sorry for the issue but they are sending me a "NEW" N900 *LUCKILY* and that I'll have it Monday. But seeing as there are on this site alone 227 pages about this same issue happening multiple times I HATE THEY HAVEN'T DONE MORE TO FIX THIS ISSUE. However, I will keep you all posted on what all happens with this "NEW" N900 I'm supposed to receive cause I'll be damned they replace my **** with an N8...love the camera...but I bought the N900 compared to other smartphones out AKA the iPhone or the HTC INCREDIBLE S because of the hardware keyboard

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Anyone wanting to repair the usb please note it is not wise to use glue of any kind as the only real and proper way to repair is to solder.

Glue will go brittle and break especially in hot climates and is only a matter of time before you end up with a complete mess on your hands to clean away before any attempt at soldering can take place.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
a complete mess on your hands to clean away before any attempt at soldering can take place.
I like superglue because it is easy to remove.
But if your phone is out of warranty and fails, its not likely to get repaired anyway. So why not try some epoxy resin, in the hope of making it last a bit longer?

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty