Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
I am in a hotel, not at home, and then realize the eeePC 900 is full, space 0.00 MB!

As a result, I guess, my browser does not retain anything, not even the backup page button, runs only 1 web page at a time. painful.

I am not at home, and dont have any system disk. If anybody is good at linux, knows a bit about the eeePC, can you teach me, step by step please, to gain some space, so that I can use this little thing while I am traveling? like how to delete some apps or document to gain a few mb space.... I hope it still goes xterm,

I think this is a 4G/16G model, and with 1.47G program/system space. And now
whatever it is , program installed 1.47 G ; very funny

Oh sure, I am also bring with me a real good powerful laptop, my N900 ... yake

bun

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
If you run a Debian-like environment (ubuntu, UNR, debian itself or any other magic debianish thingie) run
Code:
apt-get clean
as superuser.
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
for example.

The Following User Says Thank You to ChoMar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Open a term and type ls. You may find a Downloads directory with stuff that was downloaded but is not being used.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ChoMar View Post
If you run a Debian-like environment (ubuntu, UNR, debian itself or any other magic debianish thingie) run
Code:
apt-get clean
as superuser.
Code:
sudo apt-get clean
for example.
OMG, it worked! Thank you! Boy, I was running one website at a time, and have to erase it in order to go to 2nd website. Try it, it was NOT much fun. I did the sudo apt-get clean, whatever it is, my eeePC is NOW back to normal. I know there is going to be some kind guru in this forum.

And thanks for geneven's suggestion. I guess I would try it next time. Oh, now I can really really surg.... ha ha.

bun

You probably have an Application Manager type program such as Synaptic that will make it easy to remove programs you don't want.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
grab a SD card or a usb stick and put files on it.

Well, now the problem is solved, I have more happy mood to talk about it.

Just like any equipment, one has to learn to make it work for you.

I got the eeePC at the same time I got my N810. I Loved the N810 so much, I flipped the eeePC on, ONCE, and has since never touch it. Just before the trip, I grapped my N900, and kind of grapped 'something' just in case I may need a bigger screen.
And the eeePC happened to be in front of me, I flipped it on, OS and everything remained 2008. So, I did like everything I touch, knee jerk, xterm>synaptic>update ALL. And I think I see 179 apps and as well as several OS update.............I hit update all, and that is where the problem, it used up all the system space, I guess and leave me with nothing. I know, it is my careless and there is the reason.

Thanks everybody, now I have 300 MB spavce and the eeePC is working. and my SSD drive has 16 G space, not even 1 file used

Apparantly they have 1.47 G of pgm space, sort of like the N900 rootfs space.

Bottomline, it is NOT file space, it is the pgm space, and MY idiocity.

bun

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
ah, its still running the xandros.

The Following User Says Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
I was afraid of that (xandros). You might consider installing ubuntu or Linux Mint or some other OS recommended at

http://forum/eeeuser.com

Xandros has a bad reputation.

I can heartily recommend Linux Mint. I installed it on my Samsung NC10 a couple of years ago after trying out a good number of so-called "netbook distros". Like it so much I also have it as double-boot on my desktop. Very user-friendly and hassle-free.

The Following User Says Thank You to fpp For This Useful Post: