Hi!

Today I was quite shocked while I had the N900 laying on a keyboard cable and established an internet connection over the GSM network. The N900 seems to radiate that much that it constantly keeps enabling/disabling Caps Lock and Num-Lock on the keyboard while sending/receiving data. IMHO this is kinda scary and makes me fear about my health if the device radiates that much in my pocket...

I know this is going to be a pure speculation thread, but what are your opinions about this?

Btw... If you want to try it yourself, the N900 lays _on_ the cable so that the cable crosses the device vertically on the side where the stylus is placed about 2cm (approx. 1 inch) from the edge...

EDIT: its a PS2 keyboard and it works with my collegues keyboard (same model) too... So no faulty cables...

Last edited by mzanetti; 2010-04-15 at 17:40.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
Just tried this and nothing happened.
Think you have poltergeist ....

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Originally Posted by mzanetti View Post
I know this is going to be a pure speculation thread, but what are your opinions about this?
Wow, that sounds like a serious issue. Imo you should alarm the FCC. Tell them your methodology of measuring too, since their methods are obviously failing...

I'm going to call BS on this one. Your keyboard as well as your N900 had to pass FCC regulations (assuming these are US products, and even if not this type of thing is pretty much universal), in which they were both certified to not interfere with devices using other frequencies.

2d

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Wow what a coincidence!

My cat was sleeping next to my n900.
When he woke up he looked me straight in the eye, donned his spectacles and started talking about his thesis on antidisestablishment.

I'm totally blown away.

Now this may sound really "Out there" and maybe a bit far-fetched but have you considered the keyboard cable might be faulty (maybe check the connections too)?

(Should I even be suggesting this?)

As a precaution wear one of these:

Last edited by johnel; 2010-04-15 at 13:04.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Video or it didn't happen
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
My last three phones were all AT&T, the last two GSM, and they would make the speakers on my computer or my car stereo buzz whenever they checked email if the phone was close to them. The last one would make my home stereo speakers buzz even if the stereo was off.

If you call it "interference" and not "radiation" it sounds less scary. It is normal. And I haven't see it at all with my n900, which tells me it is probably the difference in the 3g frequencies from AT&T and TMobile.

If it scares you, turn the phone off. If it really scares you, move to Montana, and live in an electricity-free shack.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Rochdale UK
I like turtles.

Posts: 91 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Germany
The "speakers problem" is as old as Cellphones, i think.
But i never heard about an interferance with Keyboards.

Video or it didn't happen
sign

After that, we can discuss why this happens. Maybee the Keyboard cord has a damaged shielding at the length of Lambda and acts like an Antenna. But actually, this is nothing to really worry about.
If you call it "interference" and not "radiation" it sounds less scary. It is normal.
Yes, CB for example disturbs LAN very efficiently, even if its shielded CAT6.

Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
@rmerren Mario Piu - Communication
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.