Posts: 187 | Thanked: 121 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Subang Jaya, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Originally Posted by bockersjv View Post
I joined this forum a little over two years ago when I bought my N900. The phone was a revelation at the time and it has been the best phone I have ever owned in over 20 years of mobile use.

After a 5 minute dunk in a swimming pool and two years of hard usage time has come for a change. The n900 still works, after a good dry out, but it is getting a bit creaky.

So after a LOT of deliberation I have purchased an N9. It’s not arrived yet so I am doing prep. This forum has been invaluable for Maemo N900 stuff and back in the days prior to Nokia MS link up it looked like the forum would change to MeeGo and the Maemo device areas would co exist as they have always done. However MeeGo seems to have moved on and this forum looks like it will remain as mainly a Maemo community area.

So the thing is where will my new forum home for all things N9 be, is it here or the MeeGo forum or somewhere else.

Also are there any good MeeGo resources I need to familiarise myself with. I have a host of N900 Maemo bookmarks but my N9 folder is looking very light.

Your help and advice greatly appreciated.
if you get on IRC, you can get on #N9 for general and #harmattan for dev-related discussions on freenode

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeffrey04 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Yes, and last time I checked the N9 doesn't run Maemo - that was my point!

But this has been discussed at length before, and the powers that be gave blessing to the N9 and it's O/S and gave them a home here.
Your hostility towards N9 is as misplaced as it is pointless. Harmattan is the spiritual successor to Maemo5 and they share the same Linux foundation. It is time that N900 users begin a transition to another device because their precious N900s are not going to last forever. They will not be able to buy a new one or get it repaired. The N900 user community will thin out and apps will stagnate. You can only cling to your N900 for so long.

The Following User Says Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by SamGan View Post
Your hostility towards N9 is as misplaced as it is pointless. Harmattan is the spiritual successor to Maemo5 and they share the same Linux foundation. It is time that N900 users begin a transition to another device because their precious N900s are not going to last forever. They will not be able to buy a new one or get it repaired. The N900 user community will thin out and apps will stagnate. You can only cling to your N900 for so long.
There's no way I'm gonna ditch my N900 and 'transition to a another device' just because it might break next week/month/year or because no-one's releasing more fart apps for it.

You have no idea what I use my N900 for, or how I use it. If it was to die today, I'd switch to my spare one. And then buy another one as a backup. For me there is no successor, spirtual or otherwise.

The Following User Says Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
N900 has lack of app too, but its fine, its ok, why not with n9 too??, no offense here, just asking

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
For me there is no successor, spirtual or otherwise.
"There can be only one"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
Yeah Jeffrey, I've been here for sometime so yes, I DO know that thanks.

I tend to browse the site by clicking the "New Posts", and unfortunately for me I see a whole load of N9 stuff which is of zero interest to me...

And then someone comes along and says "where can I find the N9 stuff" - !!

Remember the URL - MAEMO.org!
I remember the old URL: Internettablettalk. So there.

I like the N900, but it's a hacker's device (for good or for bad), and the N9 is a phone (for good or for bad).
It just happens to sport the hottest and most interesting (note I don't say intuitive, since I think that word has no meaning considering what it's been associated with when it comes to tech stuff) user interface in a long while.
And since it's hot, and N900 is old hat, most talk is about N9.