Another possibility is to turn on the loudspeaker when the keyboard is open and turn off when the keyboard is closed (like in E90 for instance).

The Following User Says Thank You to R.Habrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 77 | Thanked: 71 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Groningen, Netherlands
Originally Posted by R.Habrat View Post
Another possibility is to turn on the loudspeaker when the keyboard is open and turn off when the keyboard is closed (like in E90 for instance).
I think I like this option the best, in that way you're in total control and you won't have to worry about moving the phone while in loudspeaker mode, I would love this option!

The Following User Says Thank You to lennartb For This Useful Post:
Posts: 207 | Thanked: 84 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ bournemouth
so, who do we commission to do this??

http://wiki.maemo.org/General_precautions

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

It'll be picked up and worked on. It's only a bunch of lines to do in a shell script, simply needs to be written and daemonized.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Gets the impression that there are still to come gazillions of ideas involving the PS. Thank god it's there.
These ideas here I like!

You could also add automatic call answering. When the phone is ringing and you hold it to your ear, the call could be answered automatically without needing to touch the answer button. Probably would need a little tweak to check PS status when the call arrives, so you don't answer the call with the phone in your pocket.

Ok, this may interfere with the automatic called rejection by flipping the phone over (covering the PS), but I would vote for automatic answering instead of rejection simply because I am used to answer calls when available and switch-off the phone when I do not want to be disturbed.

Last edited by tomster; 2010-03-06 at 14:17.

Brilliant idea! Speaker turned off by being close to the proximity sensor!

@Tomster: With the phone in your pocket, the proximity sensor would automatically answer all calls ((

Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
Brilliant idea! Speaker turned off by being close to the proximity sensor!

@Tomster: With the phone in your pocket, the proximity sensor would automatically answer all calls ((
would it??

what if we only activate the daemon once the speaker has been activated??

and FYI - dont be a n00b and copy and paste commands into the Terminal with out knowing what it doe's and what you'll need to do to correct any problems.

@Starman: No the first idea is valid, about turning off the speaker. What I meant was the second idea of "answering calls" when phone is put near your ears. Two problems:

1- If phone is in pocket, proximity sensor would thus be automatically activated.
2- Practically speaking, it would be uncomfortable to put a vibrating loudly ringing device close to your phone enough until answering is activated.

Just my thoughts.

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 33 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Munich, Germany
Originally Posted by starman View Post
would it??
What I wanted to say was that the logic needs to be a bit more tweaked than plainly: PS covered when ringing = answer the call.
There'd be more logical steps (PS status) to check before automatic answering would work as expected.

1. Phone in pocket = PS covered when call arrives = don't answer automatically
2. Phone out of pocket = PS uncovered
3. Phone to ear = PS covered = answer call

BTW denying the call would probably work with the accelerometer, not with the proximity sensor, so I guess no interference.

Ahh, and in my case there is no annoying crazy-frog-ringtone that could damage my ear-dums ;-)

Last edited by tomster; 2010-03-06 at 15:37.

i like the input this simple idea has generated, it would be a legen-wait for it incase your lactose intolerant- dairy feature