Closed Thread
Posts: 33 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ New York City
Originally Posted by hxka View Post
Why on Earth do you keep to reposting the same comment ever again?
To keep the thread in the active topic lists, i guess.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to valiant29 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Poland
Yes - the progress update was long overdue, so we're trying to ensure that everyone interested have chance to know about activity here, before thread gets flushed out from active topic list. I found it as more elegant way than old-fashioned "bump". It's rather standard (albeit I agree, that sad) procedure on bigger messaging boards, and this way, at least, it doesn't add trash bump posts to database.

But, I see that it is irritating for some here, so I'll refrain from doing that. Sorry for the inconvenience

Arien Stokowiec

Be sure to check Open Hardware backcover/body replacement gitorious page!
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement

Last edited by backcover_press_service; 2014-06-04 at 04:07.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
You do know right that if someone is interested in a topic he can choose to get email notifications by subscribing to the thread? Also if you need to edit your posts, use the edit button and post a reason for edit if you want to instead of deleting it and reposting the same thing with less typos as it is frustrating reading the same thing via email notifications repeatedly.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
We're also hoping to surf on storm's head for a long while, upon releasing the first units into the wild. Ten in Beaufort scale!

To head this thread into a little more on-topic path:
Today, I myself had a pleasure of doing extensive testing about taking photos, and possible impact of metallic surface/lens reflection (infamous thing about silvery border and blue hue on vanilla N900's cover - we wanted to ensure, that all-metallic backcover won't re-introduce the problem).

After taking numerous photos in various light conditions (including sun rays on front or back), I can confirm that there is absolutely no problem, while using matt surface finish. Zero additional hue, while using backcover (compared to no backcover at all). I need to test it again with shiny black surface, when it becomes available.

Arien Stokowiec

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to backcover_press_service For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
I'm concerned about Estel going away. After all, he is very active member and did some useful stuff in the past (and was Council at some time if I remember correctly, but stepped back).
"Stepped back"? That's not quite what I recall. But then I was the only Council member that cycle who didn't get a free N9 to track it on, so what do I know?

Now I'm trying to remember what my bet was on this project. On when/if it would get finished... I'm sure I put a time clause in there. I seem to recall phrasing like "long after even the biggest hold-outs have moved on". At this rate, the prototype in the picture may be enough to meet the market demand by time it's ready.

Sigh... As much fun as it can be, I really have to delete this browser link.

Hey! Look! I bumped your thread! Nice, right?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Fortunately, all project files are available on gitorious. We're Open Hardware in full sense of the word - anyone can take it and upgrade in whatever direction one feels fancy, as long as you respect terms of GPL3 license.

All people are free to finish the project before us, even, and start offering complete backcover/body to interested individuals - it stands triple for the ones that are making harsh comments about our work. You think you could do it better in two weeks, or you're sure that you would finish it earlier, shinier, or better in any aspect? That's great, you're absolutely free to do so! We would praise you for your contributions.

If someone with even better equipment/experience than us (or just more more free time) start contributing/fork, we couldn't be happier, in fact. We provided every project's file we have already, and we will provide everything that we create in future. If someone start working on it for serious (understand it as: wasn't writing here just to troll us), we will gladly offer our personal time to share experiences on machine parts used, common problems during prototyping, etc.

Summing it up - if you can do it better/faster/smarter, then by all means, do so! We provided and will be providing whatever help we can. Show us what you're made from in field of actual work, make us notice what expertise and experience hides behind your bold words

Arien Stokowiec

Last edited by backcover_press_service; 2014-06-05 at 06:39.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by backcover_press_service View Post
You think you could do it better in two weeks, or you're sure that you would finish it earlier, shinier, or better in any aspect? That's great, you're absolutely free to do so!
Ah, none of us were collecting funds for the past 2 years and making promises that have yet to be keep.

Originally Posted by backcover_press_service View Post
Show us what you're made from in field of actual work, make us notice what expertise and experience hides behind your bold words
I have. The fact that this forum still exists two years after Nokia turned their servers off is my legacy. What's yours?

To be clear: I was not alone in that effort, and don't claim my role couldn't have been done by just about anyone else. But that's the benefit of being on a team. (By that I mean "with more than one person", not "with more than one account"...)

By all means, I would love to see a finished product, and maybe even see some of those who funded it get something for it. I'd love to be proven wrong... I really would. I just don't see it happening.

There was a time I would have probably even bough one, where they available. I doubt they would work with the inductive charger I'm using now though. Aluminum + induction is great for cooking, no so good for electronics.

Good luck, and please do post when you've made more progress, and/or started shipping to your pre-purchasers. HEY! Maybe we can get Dave999 to start a countdown for that?!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Ah, none of us were collecting funds for the past 2 years and making promises that have yet to be keep.
You're welcome to start doing so As for promises, so far, every and each one have been fulfilled, while others are in the process of being completed. No person without much bad will have any existing reasons to doubt completion of the project. I don't even want to go into things like fact that completion date was *never* promised (it will be done when it will be done), and every single per-orderer/donor - of which you're neither - acknowledged that.

I have. The fact that this forum still exists two years after Nokia turned their servers off is my legacy. What's yours?
Quite a few humanitarian projects to aid Ukrainian people during recent conflict, thanks for asking. But, what does it have to do backcover/body replacement, my success. or your perceived one? (if - rather poor - status of affairs relating TMO, can be even called that). I'm leaving aside fact, that "success" tends to have have many fathers I guess there would be quite a bunch of other people that like to call Maemo's survival "their legacy", and some - like your "best friend" joerg - would have vastly different opinion on your "positive" role during those days.

Anyway, the point is, that your "legacy argument" is hardly related to backcover/body replacement project, and you were criticizing exactly that. Show us your expertise/achievements in that regard, or grab files from gitorious and create some, either by contributing or forking. This project uses FOSS-only software and have all the files published and available, so you have everything you need to actually do something constructive.

Unless you came here only to troll us a little, judging by tone of your posts? In such case, bad luck, you were just left with "pants down and nothing to show", as we, barbarian women of the far northeast use to say, pardon my in promptu translation.

I doubt they would work with the inductive charger I'm using now though. Aluminum + induction is great for cooking, no so good for electronics.
I'm glad that there is at least an on-topic question, coming out of it. Yes, inductive charging for sure wouldn't work through alu backcover. But, there should be a possibility to user-mod it, placing flat part with coil on the outside, and creating small holes for cables to carry current inside, to pads or plates. Forwarding the question to Estel, for evaluation of possibilities

Good luck, and please do post when you've made more progress, and/or started shipping to your pre-purchasers. HEY! Maybe we can get Dave999 to start a countdown for that?!
As you probably know (I'm absolutely sure that you carefully went through our latest progress update, before starting to criticize us), we will be having every 2-weeks "hardcoded" progress updates. So, surely, you won't miss it. And the countdown is cool idea, actually

Arien Stokowiec

Last edited by backcover_press_service; 2014-06-06 at 00:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to backcover_press_service For This Useful Post:
Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium
backcover_press_service, please stop arguing with woody, it's a trap so they can ban you too...

(no smiley)

The Following User Says Thank You to petur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,236 | Thanked: 1,278 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Balochistan
Whats happening in this community???

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to panjgoori For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
antenna, backcover, external, gangam_style, mugen cover, n900 body, neo900, sarcasm, where is estel