Notices

Could anyone enlighten me and tell me how to configure swap0 and swap2? I assume that mmcblk1p1 is my SD card and I think mmcblk0p1 is MyDocs. Are these two OK or should I choose something else than MyDocs for swap2?

Posts: 1,163 | Thanked: 1,873 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Estel View Post

I've found something that worry me - sudden of nothing, my device refuse to boot past 5 dots (no reboot loop, just stay with black screen and backlight on forever), unless I remove line:
Code:
blkid -g
...from rcS-late.

It's part of script, that check for existence of swaptype partition in place provided via config... I've idea how to make it more reliable, so i'll release fix in few days (I hope).

What is most strange, though, is that I could swear it worked for me yesterday, and it seems to work for all of You. Still, keep that in mind - if, by any chance, someone got hit by similar problem during boot, just open recovery console (via backupmenu, or any other flavor), mount rootfs, and comment out mentioned line in rcS-late. Unfortunately for me, I had to restore rootfs, until I repeated all steps and got hit by same thing again - only then I realized what is causing problems.

/Estel
Can confirm that issue on my side too, now. It won't boot and had to replace RcS-late with an backup to get it booting again. I experienced the same symptoms as you, black screen and backlight on.

I think I should thank Mentalist Traceur once more, for his beautiful console on boot.
Pierogi, Lanterne, Cooktimer, Frogatto
N9 16GB loaded with:
Kernel-Plus
--
[TCPdump & libpcap | ngrep]
--
donate

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mr_pingu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by daniel_m View Post
Could anyone enlighten me and tell me how to configure swap0 and swap2? I assume that mmcblk1p1 is my SD card and I think mmcblk0p1 is MyDocs. Are these two OK or should I choose something else than MyDocs for swap2?
http://wiki.maemo.org/Swap_on_microS...tition_as_swap

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Current version: 1.1
---

ereswap 1.1 was just queued into uploading to extras-devel. Changelog:

• Fix for method of validating swap, that could lead to non-bootable device (via faulthy /etc/event.d/rcS-late)
  • Program's folder changed to "/home/user/.config/ereswap/config". Config and rcS-late's adjusters now live there. Changed, due to popular request.
  • Program's executables changed from "ereswap.sh" and "freswap.sh" to "ereswap" and "freswap". Changed, due to popular request.
  • Depends on busybox-power
---

First page and wiki have been updated. Now, it *shouln't* scary anyone with black screen during boot

I haven't had time (yet) to try automation, and using /proc/stats isn't so trivial to implement reliably no matter of conditions, so as for now, it depends on busybox-power

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Current version: 1.2
---

ereswap 1.2 was just queued into uploading to extras-devel. Changelog:

• Fix to another issue preventing system from boot (tried to save reswap stat on optfs, before it's mounted...)
  • Another try to add busybox-power as dependency
---

First page and wiki have been updated. I hope for no "ooops" this time... Going to get some slep now, @+#"'$...

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
[size=4]
I haven't had time (yet) to try automation, and using /proc/stats isn't so trivial to implement reliably no matter of conditions, so as for now, it depends on busybox-power
/Estel
Nothing against bb-power (at all).
Please see this:
PHP Code:
awk '{if ($3=="'"mmcblk1p2"'") print $10}' /proc/diskstats 
PHP Code:
swap=mmcblk1p2
awk 
'{if ($3=="'"$swap"'") print $10}' /proc/diskstats 
Output will be same as "iostat" (but not same as "iostat -m" ).

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2012-05-29 at 07:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Nothing against bb-power (at all).
Please see this:
PHP Code:
awk '{if ($3=="'"mmcblk1p2"'") print $10}' /proc/diskstats 
PHP Code:
swap=mmcblkp1p2
awk 
'{if ($3=="'"$swap"'") print $10}' /proc/diskstats 
there's one extra "p" in second code ( "mmcblkp1p2, should be mmcblk1p2, then it works )"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by misiak View Post
there's one extra "p" in second code ( "mmcblkp1p2, should be mmcblk1p2, then it works )"
Yep(p), true.
Another typo slipped in. Tested only first part and just added second for convenience of selecting swap space by env var.
Corrected my post.

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
Yep(p), true.
Another typo slipped in. Tested only first part and just added second for convenience of selecting swap space by env var.
Corrected my post.
Ok, your post only said "see this", so I thought you wanted to suggest that there might be a bug somewhere

+1 for selecting swap space by env var

I don't get it. What's the point? It's damn flash memory, it's always equally slow, both with sequental access and fragmented.

And few criticism:
You should not package something in /home/ directory. This is directory for user home directories and their files, not for binaries, programs, and program's data. No package should contain any files in /home. For binaries there are /usr/bin and /usr/sbin. For program's data there is /usr/share, for system-wide configs there is /etc, etc.
And why patch rcS-late? This is too risky. Why don't use upstart scripts?

Last edited by hxka; 2012-05-29 at 16:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hxka For This Useful Post:

Tags
ereswap, fragmentation, microsd, swappiness, swaps