Active Topics

How can i totally wipe my n900 with broken usb so it can be safely sent back to Nokia?

I have managed to get an external charger so i can get access to the phone to backup my the data, but how can i now wipe it clean so my data does not end up in someone else's hands.

Note: the phone also has the Nitdroid dual boot option available... if nothing is available from the maemo side is there a way i can wipe it from the Nitdroid side?

I believe this should work: open a terminal as root and type " rm -rf /home/user/MyDocs/* " without quotes.

AFAIK, Nokia will not repair your phone or replace it with another N900 - they are sending most people different phones now (e7's I think) - is this what you want?

You want to obliterate everything?

open xterm, as root:

Code:
umount /dev/sda1
mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda1
rm -r /home/user/*
rm -r /opt/*
I do not even know if the last command will work. However this will TOTALLY hose your system.

Also, they will send you an N8. You only get E7 if you fight them.

Thanks Guys, i guess there is no way to verify if is gone or not either after that, I was wondering if i could somehow boot from the sd card and wipe it from there instead to verify all data has gone. thank you for all the help.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Maybe you can boot meego from SD card, flash the meego kernel from within maemo. Maybe it'll work...

Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I think his point is he can't boot Maemo anymore.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
If you've not already gone down the rm -rf route, install Backupmenu, download a 'fresh-install backup' of the rootfs and optfs from here.
Copy them to the MyDocs/systemBackups/ folder (you may have to create this).
Then reboot your phone with the keyboard open and restore both.
You will then have to clear your MyDocs folder as that won't have been touched.
This will leave you with an almost (Backupmenu will be installed on those images) factory fresh maemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
Originally Posted by mrsellout View Post
If you've not already gone down the rm -rf route, install Backupmenu, download a 'fresh-install backup' of the rootfs and optfs from here.
Copy them to the MyDocs/systemBackups/ folder (you may have to create this).
Then reboot your phone with the keyboard open and restore both.
You will then have to clear your MyDocs folder as that won't have been touched.
This will leave you with an almost (Backupmenu will be installed on those images) factory fresh maemo.
I second this solution.