Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Well, the era of Steve Jobs is finally coming to an end. Apple has just announced they will be selling a stylus! This thing has built-in sensors for position, force, and even tilt; so, finally, you can use a capacitive screen as if it were resistive (plus tilt!). (Although I don't yet know what sensors they put into the iPad to work with the stylus. It'd be wonderful if the device could somehow be generalized to other tablets/phones...)

Anyway, I just had to mention this. One of my biggest annoyances with the Steve Jobs era is how he managed to turn all interaction with mobile devices into finger-painting. Now, hopefully, we can start to get back to precise interactions with mobile computers.

(And yeah, I'd love to see a Sailfish device that incorporated a precise pointing device. )

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
The last few iterations of the Note series has a pretty good pen. Does recognize position, force, and tilt... to some degree... no pun intended (lol). Also has a lot of nice software features for cropping images, writing on screen shots and such. Thanks for the heads up. Will have to check out.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
The last few iterations of the Note series has a pretty good pen.
Yeah, the Note is pretty much the only mainstream tablet I can stand. (I haven't gotten any tablet for myself yet, although I'll hopefully have a Jolla tablet sometime soon... But I did convince my brother to get a Note.)

Still, I don't see Samsung as in a position to convert the entire industry by itself; everyone seems to slavishly follow Apple's lead. So, it's great to see Apple finally moving back towards something I'd be interested in...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Some serious work will be done with stylus and new iTable. Must have been first time Microsoft attended an Apple event. Hostile takeover incoming

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Not as good as Surface Pro 3 Pen IMHO.

The Following User Says Thank You to vistaus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Not as good as Surface Pro 3 Pen IMHO.
Y'know, I didn't even know the Surface Pro 3 had a stylus available. I guess I've been ignoring Microsoft so long, it never even occurred to me to check. But yeah, the iPad Pro really does look almost like a carbon-copy of the Surface Pro, doesn't it. (With the obvious advantage that it doesn't use Windows 10. )

Looking at the two stylii, I've still gotta put the Apple Pencil ahead of the Surface Pen: (a) the Pencil has a tilt sensor, and (b) the Pencil has no buttons. I've used a Wacom stylus off and on for a long time now; it has probably the most comfortable button you could put on a stylus, but it still starts hurting my fingers after a few hours of use. Better to use something besides the stylus itself to record clicks...

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
Surface Pro 3 has an n-trig pen, not a Wacom pen. Surface Pro 3 has the pen by default when you buy the SP3.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Y'know, I didn't even know the Surface Pro 3 had a stylus available. I guess I've been ignoring Microsoft so long, it never even occurred to me to check. But yeah, the iPad Pro really does look almost like a carbon-copy of the Surface Pro, doesn't it. (With the obvious advantage that it doesn't use Windows 10. )

Looking at the two stylii, I've still gotta put the Apple Pencil ahead of the Surface Pen: (a) the Pencil has a tilt sensor, and (b) the Pencil has no buttons. I've used a Wacom stylus off and on for a long time now; it has probably the most comfortable button you could put on a stylus, but it still starts hurting my fingers after a few hours of use. Better to use something besides the stylus itself to record clicks...
And the obvios disadvantage of using iOS, which is professional in 0 parallel worlds.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
I'm all for Apple looking for 'new and initiative' ways of using their devices. Maybe next year they would release the IPhone Slider?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I'm all for Apple looking for 'new and initiative' ways of using their devices. Maybe next year they would release the IPhone Slider?
You mean, with an actual keyboard? I hope not. Because if they did, the chance of me looking anywhere near the direction of an Apple product would have to shift from "no way!" to "well, maybe, who knows?"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: