I sort of doubt the 512MB of RAM because with S40 there really is no need for that much (because there is nothing that can use that much lol).
The 1GHz I believe if its an ARM11 as stated above.

And 'tis true that 1GHz ARM11 = ~600MHz Cortex A8.
So if anyone has an old android phone that's running/overclocked to 770MHz like a Cliq, that's similar performance to 460HMz Cortex A8.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
why not? maybe it's more efficient to run at high speed less often than all the time at a lower speed. just like overclocking the n900 can increase battery life if you keep the voltage the same.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
A phone with such specs shall at least encompass a full QWERTY keyboard,
not saying that this is fake but there's a slight percentage that it is.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Like someone said somewhere, sounds like running Windows 95 on a core i7 & 16gigs of RAM. Why?? Just because you can!
Ofcourse, it might me an ARM11 CPU like stated in the posts above. But 512MB RAM?? For what? Almost every OS made by Nokia is optimized to work even in low memory scenarios. Memory efficient Operating Systems. Android could take a hint from Nokia on that.
So why 512MB RAM on a s40 OS considering, S40 can't even run more than one app at a time? Even the current Nokia flagship phones run on lower RAM. Makes me wonder whether Nokia has a flagship anymore. The N8 is aging and the N9 is still in the cloud. (Well, Elop wouldnt consider N9 a flagship I guess)

So in short, Nokia's decisions make me puzzled and confused at times. I'll hold onto my N900 till it lasts. I jus love this community and my N900. But another Nokia?? No thanks!

Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post
Like someone said somewhere, sounds like running Windows 95 on a core i7 & 16gigs of RAM. Why?? Just because you can!
Ofcourse, it might me an ARM11 CPU like stated in the posts above. But 512MB RAM?? For what? Almost every OS made by Nokia is optimized to work even in low memory scenarios. Memory efficient Operating Systems. Android could take a hint from Nokia on that.
So why 512MB RAM on a s40 OS considering, S40 can't even run more than one app at a time? Even the current Nokia flagship phones run on lower RAM. Makes me wonder whether Nokia has a flagship anymore. The N8 is aging and the N9 is still in the cloud. (Well, Elop wouldnt consider N9 a flagship I guess)

So in short, Nokia's decisions make me puzzled and confused at times. I'll hold onto my N900 till it lasts. I jus love this community and my N900. But another Nokia?? No thanks!
qtquick can be quite demanding on cpu and ram.

and the point of s40 its suppose to get dumbed n9-like interface and multitask.

it kinda makes sense.

there are rumors a n801
1ghz 512mb ram, n8 camera, better screen. being released too. with symbian belle end of the year.

then symbian belle update later 2012

Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Now I'm interested in what they have for s40 phones, small but powerful enough for light browsing sessions and batterylife long enough to be also used as a phone.

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post

S40 has had the ability to multitask since 2007 at least, but it has not been used/enabled (by Nokia). With some modding you can do it yourself though.

Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Looks like Nokia is still in the spec race! Only, about.. Hmm.. two years behind or so? Maybe they wnna prep their next wave of S40 for something post-anna like Symbian Ötzi.

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
Looks like Nokia is still in the spec race! Only, about.. Hmm.. two years behind or so? .
Really? What S40 price range phone or any feature phone for that matter had 1GHz processor in 2009? Do any have 1GHz even in 2011?

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by blipnl View Post
Looks like Nokia is still in the spec race! Only, about.. Hmm.. two years behind or so? Maybe they wnna prep their next wave of S40 for something post-anna like Symbian Ötzi.
Symbian will disappear. IMO S40 will eventually become Maemo/Meego or some derivative of Linux + Qt based UI/ecosystem combo.

In any case S40 is to compete with the low end Android and below.

Tags
bada cocks, bada gay, s40 rox, where?