Notices

Thanx for this app. I have the N9. I cannot play many stations. I get Status: Error. eg. station 3AW - 693 AM Melbourne

Check here if you need Symbian development tools:

http://n8delight.blogspot.com/2014/0...f-symbian.html

a s60v5 port should be really easy: It supports Qt 4.7 and by default it has no Symbian components, only the default QtQuick 1.0
But there's a simple port of the Symbian components 1.0: http://forum.symbian-developers.net/...nts-for-s60v5/
So it's more or less easy to port the S^3 version to this firmware.

s60v3 with Qt 4.6 supports no QtQuick at all, you can use:
a) native Avkon for the UI which is A LOT of work and it's completly Symbian C++ or try Carbide C++ 2.7, which has a WYSIWYG UI editor, and pure Symbian C++ for the logic.

However if you didn't use pure Symbian C++ before don't use this way, it requires a bit time to get into the CleanupStack, TRAPs, Descriptors, Two Phase Construction etc. and it's not that useful to learn this stuff in 2014.
Maybe CODeRUS can help you a bit if you have questions? My skills are OK but I am not an expert.

b) QWidgets, which have a native look an feel.
You need the old QtSDK 1.1 which has s60v3 support, 1.2 has v5 - Belle only.

c) There are other solutions like Flash, JavaME, WRT, .NET, Python, Ruby, Perl and Silverlight but I don't know if they support the audio streaming?

The Following User Says Thank You to huellif For This Useful Post:
@marxian
just a quick report...
While using the maemo version i can observe a mediamu/high cpu usage with the phone becoming a little bit warm after ~10 minutes (using a wifi connection) and battery level seems to go down quickly.

EDIT.
and a few questions.
How did you populated the db and could it be updated?
Which sources are you using?

Last edited by xes; 2014-06-09 at 10:01.

Thank you for app!!!! But But I'm not able to listen ''Digitally Imported-Trance'' in UK? Any help? :-(

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
I've also been doing some testing on the Maemo version. From what top shows, while running, cuteradio tends to hover around 20% CPU, and pulseaudio stays between 20-25% CPU. I'm not seeing significant warming or battery drain here (although I haven't run for more than about half an hour at a time).

This is also on a wifi connection. My phone is sitting just a couple of feet from my wifi router though, so it might not need as much power...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Jun 2014 @ Poland
Same results as Copernicus - for comparison, the same station, but listened to using OMP uses ~15 kB/s transfer and OMP doesn't exceed 5% CPU (pulseaudio, similar to Copernicus example, is 15-20% CPU).

Be sure to check Open Hardware backcover/body replacement gitorious page!
https://gitorious.org/fremantle-backcover-replacement

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
... From what top shows, while running, cuteradio tends to hover around 20% CPU, and pulseaudio stays between 20-25% CPU.
Yep i can confirm the values, cumulative load is near 50-60% but seems to change a little for different streams.

When compared to OMP in fact it uses about 20-25% more cpu.

Temperature... probably a summer effect summed to cpu load.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by huellif View Post
Check here if you need Symbian development tools:

http://n8delight.blogspot.com/2014/0...f-symbian.html

a s60v5 port should be really easy: It supports Qt 4.7 and by default it has no Symbian components, only the default QtQuick 1.0
But there's a simple port of the Symbian components 1.0: http://forum.symbian-developers.net/...nts-for-s60v5/
So it's more or less easy to port the S^3 version to this firmware.

s60v3 with Qt 4.6 supports no QtQuick at all, you can use:
a) native Avkon for the UI which is A LOT of work and it's completly Symbian C++ or try Carbide C++ 2.7, which has a WYSIWYG UI editor, and pure Symbian C++ for the logic.

However if you didn't use pure Symbian C++ before don't use this way, it requires a bit time to get into the CleanupStack, TRAPs, Descriptors, Two Phase Construction etc. and it's not that useful to learn this stuff in 2014.
Maybe CODeRUS can help you a bit if you have questions? My skills are OK but I am not an expert.

b) QWidgets, which have a native look an feel.
You need the old QtSDK 1.1 which has s60v3 support, 1.2 has v5 - Belle only.

c) There are other solutions like Flash, JavaME, WRT, .NET, Python, Ruby, Perl and Silverlight but I don't know if they support the audio streaming?
I will almost certainly be using QWidgets for S60 3rd Edition. Of course, if it's very easy to port the Symbian ^3 version to S60 5th Edition, well the source is on GitHub, so ...

My website

GitHub

Originally Posted by xes View Post
Yep i can confirm the values, cumulative load is near 50-60% but seems to change a little for different streams.

When compared to OMP in fact it uses about 20-25% more cpu.

Temperature... probably a summer effect summed to cpu load.
MAFW (used by OMP) uses the DSP, whereas Phonon does not. This explains the difference in CPU load.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Spectr View Post
Thank you for app!!!! But But I'm not able to listen ''Digitally Imported-Trance'' in UK? Any help? :-(
I get a message about licensing restrictions. If you have access to a proxy server, you can use that in cuteRadio by going to the settings page and entering the proxy settings.

My website

GitHub

Tags
internet, radio