Posts: 107 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ India . Mumbai
Does The N900 viewing can be only viewed in Landscape mode. As The Virtual 3d or the messaging can be seen best in Landscape mode.?

What about Camera and Video Shooting.....That too in landscape mode! (as seen in Youtube by Pixelplus Demo)

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post
Does The N900 viewing can be only viewed in Landscape mode. As The Virtual 3d or the messaging can be seen best in Landscape mode.?

What about Camera and Video Shooting.....That too in landscape mode! (as seen in Youtube by Pixelplus Demo)
With the slideout hardware keyboard, N900 is designed to be used in landscape mode only. The only time you can switch it to portrait mode is when you make/receive a phone call.
Only then you get the on-screen keypad to press the phone no you want to dial.

But, if you wish to choose a contact from your Contacts list to make a phone call, you have to open the slideout keyboard (which automatically rotates the screen to landscape mode), enter first few letters of the name, select the right person in the list presented and close the keyboard. The screen will then rotate back to portrait mode.

For photo and video, you can shoot it in either orientation and it will playback in the orientation you recorded it with, which I think is pretty cool, although I don't understand why would anyone want to record video in portrait mode when all the viewing platforms, such as TV/monitors are all in landscape mode.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MaemoGuy For This Useful Post:
Thank you Very Much for the reply.....
Yes so true why would anyone need to record in Potrait mode.

but what about Msg.....what if i have to type in Potrait mde without the kepads out...Do i get a Onscreen Touch keyboard?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Siddarth View Post
Thank you Very Much for the reply.....
Yes so true why would anyone need to record in Potrait mode.

but what about Msg.....what if i have to type in Potrait mde without the kepads out...Do i get a Onscreen Touch keyboard?
The short answer is NO.

On N900, Messaging (SMS and IM chat) are grouped together into an application called Conversations (see image here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/42299489@N08/3895389843/)
And it's only available in Landscape mode.

If you look at the phone dialling mode image, the onscreen keyboard does show the alpha keys beneath the numbers (like on the hardware keypad) but I've yet to find a way to type letters instead of numbers in this mode.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/42299489@N08/3896173440/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MaemoGuy For This Useful Post:
I found this in the maemo 5/fremantle section.
Looks to me that internet browsing will be possible in portrait mode. Question is does it also allow text input in this mode?

Originally Posted by tangs View Post
ok, i think i've got something here. I found on a forum (http://maemofr.org) that Fennec Beta 3 is now release and that the final version will be release with the N900. I gone on Mozilla.org to ask them directly about the portrait mode of their browser. Here is the mail :

On Sep 8, 2009, at 1:23 PM, Gaëtan Goddefroy wrote:

I would like to know if it's supporting the portrait mode ?
That will be very important for the Nokia N900 device !

Hi Gaëtan,

Fennec will definitely support portrait mode. As an example of how the UI changes, the set of browser tools icons will be across the bottom of the screen rather than along the side when in portrait to save screen space.

Madhava
--
Madhava Enros
User Experience Designer, Mozilla Corporation

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matic For This Useful Post:
What U think about the battery Life.......With so many features! OS with 3d Acce... Display! Will it last long with Regular use for a Day?

I guess the talktime will make its battery life Low!

This has been discussed before, alot.

Everything depends on how much you use it. The screen is probably one of the most battery consuming unit. Watching movies is going to drain the batt heavy, but is gps BT and maybe wifi enable too, the batt is not going to last more than a couple of hours.

I know my n95 can die in a few hours if using it heavily, and itīs not near the same hardware inside.

If you think itīs going to last more than one day, you are going to be dissapointed.