Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Nokia needs to take maemo more seriously. Symbian is also very good but it really lacks in the sense that it is not a complete UI for mini computers. With more and more devices in the future being mobile computers rather than just mobile phones, symbian really cant cope with the competition. Symbian should concentrate on dumb phones and maemo should be the only way forward for high end phones. With the meager resources alloted to internet tablets it is really great that they came out with such a wonderful UI.... now i can only imagine how much more better it would be if there was more importance on maemo at nokia.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
the whole "step x of y" wasn't a phrase that was coined at NW09. it's a plan that i first heard of when they introduced the N810, and probably it had been mentioned before.

so if he hadn't said it during the keynote, somebody would have asked later: "is this step 4 now?" - there was no way around it anyway.

also, nokia needs to be very careful about how they present this device. it's not even close to feature parity with S60, it even lacks features you see in S40 IIRC. if they say "this is our new best phone", everybody would compare it... and everybody would soon find out. the way they are downplaying things now, they can always say: "right, it doesn't have feature X. it's still in an early stage, it's a niche product. take the N97 if you want a real smartphone."

i don't see anything wrong with this strategy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
To be completely honest, I will wait for step 5. Not because of anything huge in particular: there are many little things in step 4 that just doesn't fully convince me for the cash I will have to pay (portrait mode, TV Out, battery, MfE, HW/form factor, etc). And if step 5 turns to be meh, I will just buy step 4 which should be cheaper and better by then.

I will add that in my particular case my ratio of cost/benefit is very exigent: to get an unlocked Nokia device, I have to travel from my country to either Chicago or NYC, the nearest flagships stores. No other reliable way of getting my hands on a device.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Right,

The idea about a campaign with links sounds a lot more modern, not to mention easier on the throat than my window screaming See, the beauty of open-source is in clear light now. Nokia mentioned that open-source needs to learn more about business and open-source advocates have been talking about business learning from open source for a long time. This seems like a very small first step towards that goal.

So, everyone who wants to help spread the word can do so with a coordinated (thereby hopefully more effective) changing of their social network status. Cool!

Is there anything else that we could do? say a open-remix of the n900 youtube vid. with more focus on maemo, something like "maemo, the future is wide open".

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Well speaking about publicity. Nokia is sponsoring the engadget show on September 13th. After all the bashing they get from engadget i wonder why they would do that? I wish nokia would make better use of that money rather then sponsor that blog.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/08/t...3th/2#comments

has anything been said about how soon we can hope to see step 5 appearing? I will probably buy the n900 because i don't want to wait two years for another device.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Of course the problem with any next step is that ... Naturally everybody is aiming to make the next step better - otherwise why even take it - but then again, you cannot be sure of it before it's done.

I'm hoping it will be eventually better, and I'm trying to do my best on my small area with it, but there are a lot of factors and variables with it. There's always the risk that things don't turn out well.
Interesting thought... It matches my personal experience with the tablet lineup. The steps may lead towards something Nokia envisions, but at the same time each step is a step away from the original tablet concept that was 100% what I wanted and needed. N900 already would be a compromise... 60%-70% maybe of what I want. Who knows if step 5 then has anything I would find attractive?

Even with S60 phones Nokia moves in the wrong direction (from my POV). Like: S60/5 on the N97 misses a lot of crucial functions my 2 year old S60/3 has.

So it's not always safe to assume the next thing will be better for you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,028 | Thanked: 578 times | Joined on Mar 2009 @ Chicago
Step 4 will cost me $250.

When that is, time will tell

The Following User Says Thank You to JayOnThaBeat For This Useful Post:
Honestly the whole launch of the n900 was slightly disappointing from a marketing perspective. Either they didn't want it to get too much attention, wanting to save it for the 5th generation, but that's failed because it's getting a lot of press and interest, or they were looking for just that, in which case they presented it in a less than optimal way.
Yeah, disappointing. They should have gone all the way when releasing a product. I'm also disappointed with my old Nokia 6300. They should release fewer but more trustworthy products.

---------------
reductil 10mg

Last edited by vaha130; 2009-09-23 at 11:15.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Beijing
Originally Posted by vaha130 View Post
Yeah, disappointing. They should have gone all the way when releasing a product. I'm also disappointed with my old Nokia 6300. They should release fewer but more trustworthy products.
Well the thing about Nokia is that they cater to everyone in the mobile market. So don't expect less products, it's simply not feasible with their general strategy.