Notices

Closed Thread
BTW...awesome work

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by stunner16 View Post
@scorpius

I am planning to change my sim. Would a re-registration happen? Or can i use my old number?
What do you want do to?

If you want re-registration delete your /home/user/.config/scorpius/yappari.conf file. If you don't, leave it.

But I'm afraid next version will force to re-register when SIM changes since it seems pretty popular. People change SIM a lot, it seems.

Thanks Scorpius, I just cannot type Chinese in it, yet I can copy & paste to Yappari though. Great job.

Originally Posted by isjacob View Post
Thanks Scorpius, I just cannot type Chinese in it, yet I can copy & paste to Yappari though. Great job.
Yeah and I'm afraid you can't type chinese in any Qt application, right?

It's a Qt bug or something.

Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
What do you want do to?

If you want re-registration delete your /home/user/.config/scorpius/yappari.conf file. If you don't, leave it.

But I'm afraid next version will force to re-register when SIM changes since it seems pretty popular. People change SIM a lot, it seems.
I want to use my old number itself. My contacts won't miss out on contacting me.

I have a suggestion, keep the old sim/ new sim configuration as an option.. Choices are always welcome

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stunner16 For This Useful Post:
What do you want do to?

As pointed out before, making the reregistration on SIM change optional would be cool. Here is a scenario: I'll travel abroad soon for two weeks and will definitely buy a local SIM card there to use mobile internet and be callable by locals and would like to use my N900 and be reachable via Whatsapp on my home number for those two weeks, too (instead of telling all possible people my then temporary number).

Also, what I wanted to suggest for a while now: Why not making the autoconnect to the internet optional, too? You always said you would never implement autoconnection but as of right now I don't see a reason why not leaving users the option, too.

Another scenario: Sometimes my N900 drops wifi connection (rarely) or the mobile network connection (more often) while I would like to stay online and reachable in Yappari without having to check the connection every now and then. That's why I personally and honestly would like an autoconnect option.

What I also wanted to point out: 0.3.0 is working like a charm and the new fancy transfer bar and the new multimedia transfer opportunities just rock! Kudos to you!

first of all.... hats off to Scorpius
Battery is not the source of power for n900, but, U are

secondly, i was curious if we can change the name of this app like the logo... and how abt changing it from yappari 0.0.30 to yappari 1.0 ??

The problem with the autoconnect is that the phone never knows what connection to use after a drop and it will display the Internet Connection dialog so you would have to check your phone anyway to select the connection.

Let's say I could figure out a hack to tell the phone to autoconnect to the last connection used. Yappari will have no way to know if the connection dropped or the user disconnected it, so in both scenarios Yappari will autoconnect the last connection and the user can never disconnect unless the option is turned off or Yappari is closed completely.

You can always turn on the "Connect automatically" option in your phone and configure a Search interval. Delete all your saved connections except the one you want to connect without asking and that's it.

... but I wonder how much your battery will last :P

Originally Posted by cr.shaggy View Post
first of all.... hats off to Scorpius
Battery is not the source of power for n900, but, U are

secondly, i was curious if we can change the name of this app like the logo... and how abt changing it from yappari 0.0.30 to yappari 1.0 ??
Search the thread if you want to change the icons. It has been said many times.

Yappari will be 1.0 when the main functions are implemented. What is left? Groups creation, Profile settings (including profile pictures), and a couple of more things.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Thanks for your lengthy response!

The problem with the autoconnect is that the phone never knows what connection to use after a drop and it will display the Internet Connection dialog so you would have to check your phone anyway to select the connection.
Admitted, and I thought the same until recently when I checked the Internet Settings once again. If you check the phone Settings, choose the Internet section and at Connect automatically choose "Any connection", the phone will automatically figure out the best connection. E.g., when I am opening Opera and click on a website and I am not connected, it simply tries to connect to a Wifi that is in my list, alternatively to the mobile Internet connection. I actually never had problems with that and don't have to connect manually. I suppose if you would use the standard maemo thing (I am not into technics enough to correctly name the term), I think there would be no need to check for the connection dialogue.

I've set Search interval to Never, so it only connects when I e.g. open a website with opera, so there is no problem with battery life through that. Would be cool though, if Yappari could request the connection also.

BTW: Roaming still can be optional in that scenario, that can be Set in the phone section in the settings.

Let's say I could figure out a hack to tell the phone to autoconnect to the last connection used. Yappari will have no way to know if the connection dropped or the user disconnected it, so in both scenarios Yappari will autoconnect the last connection and the user can never disconnect unless the option is turned off or Yappari is closed completely.

You can always turn on the "Connect automatically" option in your phone and configure a Search interval. Delete all your saved connections except the one you want to connect without asking and that's it.

... but I wonder how much your battery will last :P
Regarding the battery life see above.

Regarding the manual disconnecting: True that. But that's why it should be optional, so if somebody wants the autoconnect (which if Yappari is running would resemble an always connected) they can enable it, if not then not. You could also make it an option not in the GUI but in the conf file, to assume only people who know what they are doing will set this option.

Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp