Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 36 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Russia, Moscow
Hello,

recently I finished maemo mapper patch which supports layers displayed on top of base map. Initially this planned to display transparent google traffic tiles on top of google street or google satellite map, but implementation is quite generic (any amount of layers which can be turned on and off), so you can find other usages.

You can download deb here. It was tested on n810 and n800 under chinook and diablo.

To display google traffic, you need to add layer (In dialog Maps->Manage repositories press 'Layers' button) with URL http://mt0.google.com/mapstt?zoom=%0d&x=%d&y=%d

Layer's tiles have autorefresh feature which will track age (in minutes) of each layer's tile and redownload tile when age is expired (As traffic tiles are very small, gprs is enougth). To turn automatic tile fetching on, set layer's attribute to value greater than zero.

There is also new action 'Toggle layers' which can be bind to tablet hardware key. It toggles visible layers on and off, to see original underlying map.

You can download patch here.

Source tarball.

2gnuite: There are at least two feature requests which can be closed by this patch (921 and 2354), can it be imported in official sources?

Last edited by Shmuma; 2008-08-10 at 20:26.

The Following 24 Users Say Thank You to Shmuma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
Fantastic!!! Now I just need to figure out how to get a weather layer in there with Google Traffic and this will truly be a killer app!!

+1 to the weather layer

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Florida
I found this which I can add as a map and it shows the radar, but no map info... Tried adding it as a layer and got nothing...
"http://mesonet.agron.iastate.edu/cgi-bin/wms/nexrad/n0r.cgi?&VERSION=1.1.1&SERVICE=WMS&REQUEST=GetMap& LAYERS=nexrad-n0r&STYLES=&SRS=EPSG:4326&BBOX=%.6f,%.6f,%.6f,%.6f &WIDTH=256&HEIGHT=256&FORMAT=image/png&BGCOLOR=0x000000"

Last edited by scanman717; 2008-08-10 at 14:46.

The Following User Says Thank You to scanman717 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Great feature... only if I could make it to work...

I downloaded the deb and installed in top of MaemoMapper. (I was going to try the patch method, but it just opened in browser window as text file.) It said it installed correctly. After update I did see the "Layers" button and added the Google traffic URL as shown in the first thread. I enabled layer and can not see anything... I have internet connection on.

I checked the same in my PC (maps.google.com) and it work there. (Turning on Traffic I can see some traffic data in my PC map.)

The Traffic database file I created on internal memory card. I see the file size 12kB and last update was the time when I created the database file. I have set to update the traffic data every one minute.

I'm thinking if the URL has a mistake?

Mara,
please check that you typed the URL correctly (there is must be zero in zoom argument, as well as in server's name: mt0.google.com). If this won't help, could you upload the database you get somewhere and point to location you are trying to view. Screenshot of you layer settings would also be helpful.

Last edited by Shmuma; 2008-08-10 at 15:32.

Originally Posted by Shmuma View Post
Mara,
please check that you typed the URL correctly (there is must be zero in zoom argument, as well as in server's name: mt0.google.com). If this won't help, could you upload the database you get somewhere and point to location you are trying to view. Screenshot of you layer settings would also be helpful.
Shmuma, I did double check the URL and last try was a copy and paste (CTRL+v) the URL from the first post. Still no go.

I live in the Dallas area, if that has anything to do with this. (Very unlikely...)

For Dallas at zoom 12 I can see the following: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/shmuma/view/68652/

Could you upload your traffic DB file?

Originally Posted by Shmuma View Post
For Dallas at zoom 12 I can see the following: http://fotki.yandex.ru/users/shmuma/view/68652/

Could you upload your traffic DB file?
Thanks, this looks like what I was expecting.

The db file is attached. Just remove the .txt from the end.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Traffic.txt (12.0 KB, 167 views)

This db is correct, but completely empty. Do you have 'Maps->Auto download' checkbox turned on?

Tags
maemomapper