Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I've understood hardware support in WP7 is very limited, so Nokia might not have had much choice here. This isn't like Linux where you can just hire a few kernel hackers to do your own hardware adaptation...
Simply put there's no support for anything else than what's now in WP. Apollo will get dual core support, somewhere late next year and it's to be seen will there even then be support for ST-Ericsson.

CEO of ST-Ericsson has been saying all kinds of things about earlier support for long time, but i have stopped listening those long time ago.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
I've understood hardware support in WP7 is very limited, so Nokia might not have had much choice here. This isn't like Linux where you can just hire a few kernel hackers to do your own hardware adaptation...
ZuneHD had a Tegra chipset. And according to Microsoft, Qualcomm isn't exclusive to WP7 and they could switch to any chipset... supposedly.

But if you look deeper and more recently - it seems like Qualcomm is indeed the exclusive chipset manufacturer... makes no sense.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
ZuneHD had a Tegra chipset. And according to Microsoft, Qualcomm isn't exclusive to WP7 and they could switch to any chipset... supposedly.

But if you look deeper and more recently - it seems like Qualcomm is indeed the exclusive chipset manufacturer... makes no sense.
In theory Microsoft could run there Software on anything, but then again in theory Communism works.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
So did anyone buy one...
I think I'd prefer the Focus S or HTC's offering.

Lumia 800 seems to be doing quite nicely in UK. More preorders than ever before from a Nokia phone.
http://nokiagadgets.com/2011/11/15/o...a-nokia-phone/

Posts: 25 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Ely, near Cambridge, UK
OK I've been trawling through so many fanboy opinions....but I'm torn between:

Lumia 800: Nice design; no NFC but locked into Win/Bing/Zune ecosystem. Feels far removed from Nokia world.

N9: Lovely design; but few Apps; lack of ongoing support;

Galaxy Nexus: Only 16Gb in UK...No Sdcard slot / No FM radio (?)

I still love my N900 but am smarting from lack of Nokia support. That said, I still have a lot of Nokia brand loyalty going back to the old 2110 brick, however the N9 situation completely flumoxes me.

I have to say I'm impressed with what I've seen of ICS.....it seems much more slick than previous Android OSs......which may well sway me against the N9.

Thoughts? Anyone out there with any hands-on experience of all 3 ?

I love the design of 800. The biggest drawback that I found about Luminia 800 is, it does'nt have a front facing camera thus can't make video calls

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
I got one the day it came out and I must admit, its bloody gorgeous!

Hardware wise, its very sturdy and its weighty enough to make you feel like you are holding something solid and robust without making it a pain to carry around. The screen has to be seen to be believed, its sumptuous and the clearblack floating display is lovely.

Camera ain't so hot and I will definitely be holding on to my N8 for a while longer and there isn't any HDMI output (understandable as not yet supported by WP7).

The WP software is definitely maturing and is very fast, slick and responsive.

Nokia haven't had much of a chance to integrate their own software onto the platform yet and what they have put on is almost as an afterthought. Nokia Maps co-exists with Bing Maps and Nokia Music uses Zune's backend. There are also issues with Maps and Drive not talking to each other which is a bit of a pain in the ***.

Overall, I would say the Lumia 800 is a beautiful piece of design with an "almost there" OS and is Nokia's first real competitor to the iPhone. Clearly, its not got the flexibility and openess of Maemo and I won't be selling my N900 in the near future, but as a smartphone for the masses, its excellent.

Banned | Posts: 706 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on May 2010
Originally Posted by philheaton View Post
I got one the day it came out and I must admit, its bloody gorgeous!

Hardware wise, its very sturdy and its weighty enough to make you feel like you are holding something solid and robust without making it a pain to carry around. The screen has to be seen to be believed, its sumptuous and the clearblack floating display is lovely.

Camera ain't so hot and I will definitely be holding on to my N8 for a while longer and there isn't any HDMI output (understandable as not yet supported by WP7).

The WP software is definitely maturing and is very fast, slick and responsive.

Nokia haven't had much of a chance to integrate their own software onto the platform yet and what they have put on is almost as an afterthought. Nokia Maps co-exists with Bing Maps and Nokia Music uses Zune's backend. There are also issues with Maps and Drive not talking to each other which is a bit of a pain in the ***.

Overall, I would say the Lumia 800 is a beautiful piece of design with an "almost there" OS and is Nokia's first real competitor to the iPhone. Clearly, its not got the flexibility and openess of Maemo and I won't be selling my N900 in the near future, but as a smartphone for the masses, its excellent.
what is the call quality

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Dunfermline, Scotland
Call quality fine. Not as good as the N8, but better than the N900. However, this may depend on your provider.