Hi guys,

I'm a newbie with this device. I've just bought it a month ago and i rarely use it. I want to use this device to make Skype call from my university VPN (it's PPTP VPN), and I found out that i have to patch this device to bring those capabilities on board.

I've searched this forum around and found clues on how to make it possible. But since i'm not very familiar with maemo or linux environment, i have a hard time to execute those instructions. I'm really sorry if i missed threads on how to do this and make somekind of double posting. I've tried everthing I can and it's fuitless.

I've been successful on installing OS2007HE on n770 and making Skype call over unsecured wireless (in my home), and I was really happy that time .

My next step was to install PPTP kernel patch from Fanoush. To do this, i installed VMWare Viewer on my Vista 64 laptop and use Ubuntu virtual machine. I downloaded flasher-30 from nokia and zImage-su-18-200625-crypto image from fanoush's maemo page. But unfortunately, after i flash that kernel to my n770, it was rebboting all time.

I tried to debug that reboot problem by switching back to OS2006 (because i think that the zImage is meant for OS2006, not OS2007HE) and then flash the zImage kernel to it from VMWare. But still no luck. The flasher keep prompting "Suitable USB device not found. waiting" even when i'd already rebooted my n770 over and over again.

So the questions are:
1. Was i doing what i'm supposed to do?
2. What causing the "never ending reebot" problem"? Is it because i executed flasher from Virtual Machine (VMWare Viewer)?
3. What i'm supposed to do? I mean, what step by step do i have to do? or do you know which threads do i have to read (i might missed that)?

Thanks in advance...
Aditya

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Oh sorry, the kernel 200625 is old, it is only for 1.2006.26-8. for newer versions get the SDHC kernel on the bottom of the page. There is also archive with kernel modules including those needed for pptp.

EDIT:
So get one kernel from these here http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#sdhc
modules here http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/modules-3.2006.49-2.tar.gz
and maybe the pptp client binary from http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/pptp-it2006.tgz but I think it is not needed, regular pppd present on the device should be enough too with proper configuration file.

Also search here on the forum for pptp, there are some threads with details.

EDIT2:
I have updated http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/#pptp with additional information so hopefully people won't try flashing old kernel anymore. Sorry for that.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-10-14 at 14:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the prompt update....
So what you meant is that basically I can use OS2007HE with sdhc patched kernel (followed with proper configuration) to make PPTP VPN connection without applying pptp kernel patch?
I mean, to be able to use Skype over PPTP VPN, should I do the followings?
1. reflash n770 to use OS2007HE
2. apply sdhc kernel patch
3. use pptp module
4. configure pptp server & client
5. install Skype application

Thanks in advance
Aditya

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by adityasa View Post
Thanks for the prompt update....
So what you meant is that basically I can use OS2007HE with sdhc patched kernel (followed with proper configuration) to make PPTP VPN connection without applying pptp kernel patch?
yes, crypto api is enabled in sdhc kernel, no other patch needed, the rest is in kernel modules
should I do the followings?
1. reflash n770 to use OS2007HE
2. apply sdhc kernel patch
3. use pptp module
4. configure pptp server & client
Yes, try searching this forum if you get stuck somewhere.
In case you can 'configure server' consider also OpenVPN, it may be easier to setup than pptp
I mean, to be able to use Skype over PPTP VPN,
5. install Skype application
Just wondering, what is the reason for using Skype over VPN?

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Oh, that's relieving...i don't have to do extra steps...

About OpenVPN, isn't it just for L2PP VPN? or it can be used to connect to PPTP VPN?

To answer you last question, I mostly spend my time in my university.
My university use PPTP VPN and i need Skype. The only way i can use
Skype protocol over their WLAN is by joining their PPTP VPN. Otherwise, I would use my P1I which is quite handy, but unfortunately it can only connected to IPSec VPN..

Thanks in advance...

Last edited by adityasa; 2008-10-14 at 21:35.

I finally managed to flash the kernel you gave me...but i confused on how to install pptp client.

It says that i have to execute this command:
apt-get install pptp-linux

but it gave me:
Couldn't find package pptp-linux

I'm not too familiar with linux. Do you know how to fix this error?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Also i believe there is no Skype in OS2006 at all

I finally managed to install pptp client from http://maemo.lancode.de/ repository...

After setting up pptp client configurations, i run the debug command, and here's the command's log:

/etc/ppp # pon myvpn debug logfd 2 nodetach
using channel 13
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/pts/1
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x319a062a> <pcomp> <accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x0 <auth chap MS-v2>]
No auth is possible
sent [LCP ConfRej id=0x0 <auth chap MS-v2>]
rcvd [LCP ConfRej id=0x1 <pcomp> <accomp>]
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x2 <asyncmap 0x0> <magic 0x319a062a>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1]
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1]
rcvd [LCP TermReq id=0x2]
sent [LCP TermAck id=0x2]
Script pptp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx --nolaunchpppd finished (pid 2535), status = 0x0
Modem hangup
Connection terminated.

So, does this mean i'm successfully connected to PPTP VPN?

The Following User Says Thank You to adityasa For This Useful Post:
I finally able to connect to PPTP VPN in my campus....
If you'd like to know how this story end, please follow this link
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/f...tpclient-devel

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Orlando, FL USA
Has anyone copnsidered creating a turtorial for this. I am running Diablo on an N800 and there are so many incorrect statements about PPTP VPN that I was never able to successfully get mine functional. My specific questions are:

1. Does the SDHC kernal from Fanoush apply to Diablo?
2. Do you need to install the pptp client from http://maemo.lancode.de/ repository? This isn't mentioned anywhere?

Before anyone asks, my business uses PPTP VPN, so OpenVPN isn't an option. I'm just curious if someone has a tutorial for the rest of us.