Notices

Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Re sleep states: while program is not suspended, the whole OS is. That's what keepalive is for. I suspect there is something in Jens's program which inhibits the sleep - should be keepalive.

Re suspend/resume media player: so, that means it player specific, isn't it? Which is rather poor design in my mind and should be solved on OS level (mixing players?). I guess we can do as others are, just implement it in platform-specific code.

Re blabbing/sleeping preference: the main risk is draining the battery of users who don't use this feature. I'd be cautious and add it under preferences.

Re closing PM and not being able to start: we had this issue earlier and never managed to track it down. is it on J1? No clue when was it discussed in this thread. Try to check if sailfish-qml is still running from prev invocation. I can look it up how to do that, but I'd prefer to continue with some other stuff. Maybe you can figure out the solution with ps and kill...

Re position marker without fix: its provided by OS and Pure Maps does not check anything so far regarding GPS status. Only things we get are position, uncertainty, speed. Direction, is probably calculated, but I don't remember correctly. Whole QtLocation idea was that the code is independent of positioning source. If we want to track how many satellites we have and data like this, specific backend has to be written. Must say, not high in my priorities at the moment.

Re circle under location marker. I am sure it was discussed and then concluded (or pushed by me) that we just improve the contrast of the marker (which we did by reducing opacity). In practice, I see marker well now, way better than before. Let's see if I say the same after driving for decent amount of hours.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
Let's see if I say the same after driving for decent amount of hours.
>5000km done
Try satellite maps as worstcase.
It is not a major issue. Just the idea of indicating accuracy was brought up and i made the connection to the uncertainty circle as low hanging fruit to achieve that without altering the position marker.
I am often thinking about how to improve the route display and if i have something ready to explain i will most likely mix above idea in those drafts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
>5000km done
Try satellite maps as worstcase.
It is not a major issue. Just the idea of indicating accuracy was brought up and i made the connection to the uncertainty circle as low hanging fruit to achieve that without altering the position marker.
I am often thinking about how to improve the route display and if i have something ready to explain i will most likely mix above idea in those drafts.
Nooooh, no, I better not . Satellite is surely not made for driving.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
For translators to Czech: please review your translation and restore english names for all variables - strings enclosed in {}. For example, translate

"In {distance}, {direction}"

to

"V {distance}, {direction}"

currently its translated to "V {vzdálenost}, {směr}" which will make Pure Maps rather unhappy.

hoping that translators are @TMO

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
For translators to Czech: please review your translation and restore english names for all variables - strings enclosed in {}. For example, translate

"In {distance}, {direction}"

to

"V {distance}, {direction}"

currently its translated to "V {vzdálenost}, {směr}" which will make Pure Maps rather unhappy.

hoping that translators are @TMO
I think you should be able to work around this issue by only referencing those untranslatable variables with a '%s' or '%0' type string that refers to the variable elsewhere in the code, that way they won't accidentally get translated. Of course, you then need to add translator notes to every such string explaining which variable does what, but I think it'd be an improvement.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
I think you should be able to work around this issue by only referencing those untranslatable variables with a '%s' or '%0' type string that refers to the variable elsewhere in the code, that way they won't accidentally get translated. Of course, you then need to add translator notes to every such string explaining which variable does what, but I think it'd be an improvement.
@nthn, I am not going to change the meaningful strings to %s or alike. Its a major work on my side and, if I fail to transfer such information properly, on all other translators as well (if they have to redo or review all translated strings).

Maybe we should add a note regarding {} notation in some README, but I am not sure where.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Something more for the 1.19 release

For the shortlist icons in kirigami i have two options. Either go the sailfish icon way and show a list on white like in the middle row and when selected switch to the black one with white list items on the right.
Or like in order from left to right now, have the shortlist icon with a plus in the center similar to the kirigami bookmark icon and change to list icon when selected.

Furthermore, even after removing the menu entry for "center on current position" we still have an instance of the "center.svg" in the POI Info pages center function.
So even if the icon is not used in main menu anymore i think it is still nice to have kirigami and sailfish versions there like in the draft above.

@rinigus, since i guess you might want to give new filenames i did not do a PR but attached svgs.
Attached Files
File Type: zip shortlist+center.zip (8.6 KB, 14 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
@mosen, thank you very much! These are of great help! I would vote for + sign option for consistency, otherwise SFOS variant is good as well

@mosen, thank you very much! These are of great help! I would vote for + sign option for consistency, otherwise SFOS variant is good as well
Yes, go with the plus.
It developed from the two black/white lists when i realized the plus fits nicely into the bubble. Only wanted to give this sailfish like option also.

Edit: Regarding the new indication method on map i was thinking if it is wise to remove the switch entries from the menu.
Afterall it is a place where the function is written out in words and kind of explanatory if the "switches" on map correspond to the switches in menu? Just a thought to avoid a tutorial for now.

Last edited by mosen; 2019-03-27 at 17:52.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Re tutorial: just wait till 1.19 - I have added help messages that should guide the users accordingly. Let's see if its sufficient - we can always revert if needed