Notices

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Sorry, guys, I have not tried that yet
I always remember about it when I just about have to leave work, which is always in a hurry with no time to change the settings to online. Let me change the settings right now so they are ready for when I go home in about 8 hours' time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
As for suggested services, you could use defaults of online profile: Mapbox GL for maps, Stadia for routing, Photon for search.
I finally did as you suggested. Sorry about the delay, see the post above for my excuses.

I set the navigation from work to home. It takes about an hour but I stopped it maybe 15 minutes early as I did not go straight home. I could only use the Jolla because I have no SIM card in my X and I cannot easily swap them due to incompatible formats.

The first impressions:
  • The maps rendering looks much better than with OSM Scout Server.
  • The voice instructions are worse. Good job I knew the way because the voice kept telling me to turn left when it meant go straight etc.

Now for the results:
  • As mentioned above, I ran the navigation for about 45-50 minutes.
  • The phone got very hot and the battery dropped from 100% to 49%.
  • After closing Pure Maps, the navigation icon in the status bar disappeared was still flashing (sorry, I missed that the first time).
  • Subsequent attempts to start Pure Maps again failed: the cover appeared in the home screen, with a rotating arrow, then timed out and closed.
  • Terminal said this:
    Code:
    ,---
    | Sailfish OS 3.0.3.10 (Hossa)
    '---
    [nemo@Dinghy ~]$ ps aux | grep pure
    nemo     18035  4.8 10.1 246348 84416 ?        Ssl  07:54  28:20 sailfish-qml harbour-pure-maps --
    nemo     26951  0.0  0.0   4892   616 ?        S    16:01   0:00 invoker --type=generic --single-instanceharbour-pure-maps
    nemo     29527  0.0  0.0   1532   236 pts/0    S+   17:39   0:00 grep pure
    [nemo@Dinghy ~]$
  • After killing process 18035 and starting Pure Maps again, the app started but it took bloody ages (a technical term). I mean it took so long that I was in the middle of typing that it timed out again but it did start eventually.
  • The battery level dropped to 27% while typing this message (yes, I am typing it on the phone).

Last edited by pichlo; 2019-07-04 at 07:14.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
@pichlo - thanks! The reasons are very understandable. Maybe you could try tomorrow again, on the way back from work. Assuming that it will hang too. If it will, please attach gdb to it and obtain backtrace:

1. find out which process is running pure maps
2. gdb sailfish-qml pid
3. in gdb: thread apply all bt

Ideally, you should do it via terminal login (ssh). Or maybe there is a way to get backtrace dumped into file.

Check in time whether you have gdb installed.

Other replies below:

Re rendering: That's my take on it as well. Mapbox GL maps are surely better styled than the one I made with the server. Here, help would be needed by someone wishing to learn how these styles are made and how map tile data is structured. I don't foresee when I can deal with it myself.

Re instructions: assuming that you used Stadia, its surprising, but possible. I expect that we use somewhat different Valhalla's settings and imports could be done at different time (maybe some road is closed at OSM).

Hot device: I wonder whether its related to smooth position marker. But device even before it was occasionally warm for me as well.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Thanks, rinigus. I will try gdb but I have limited experience in that area so there may be a bit of a delay.

Re voice instructions. I may have been a bit unfair. The screen always showed the right way but the voice instructions did not always match. Like when the road was forking, with one fork going straight and one turning right, and I was continuing on the straight line, the voice said turn left. The same on a roundabout with multiple exits. I guess it makes sense from the algorithm point of view but is confusing when you only follow instructions without checking the screen.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The heavy battery use you observed is "normal" on a Jolla 1with GPS on and Pure Maps (plus potentially OSMSS) running all the time. With a worn out battery it can be even worse and you had a web browser (i.e. another application with a large memory and CPU usage) running in addition while the rapid battery level drop occurred.
I see pretty much the same behaviour on my two Jolla 1 phones and it is much better on the Xperia X.

P.S.: Using a resource hungry Android app (Firefox / Fennec, OSMand etc.; I know you don't ) while Pure Maps with OSMSS are running results in a severe memory exhaustion on a Jolla 1, usually invoking the Android OOM killer sooner or later. Hence the native apps survive this most of the time.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
@lal: regarding the bug in terms of distances - its always adding distance from your location. Whether it should be so, that's another question.
I also perceived this as confusing in some situations, but had (and still have) no idea to suggest something better.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to olf For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
Here, help would be needed by someone wishing to learn how these styles are made and how map tile data is structured. I don't foresee when I can deal with it myself.
That sounds like doable.
Where to dig deeper?
And sorry i delay with those promised sailfishified osm icons :/ I just ran out of ideas to make in reasonable time... maybe it just hits me someday.

Hot device: I wonder whether its related to smooth position marker. But device even before it was occasionally warm for me as well.
That would be quite unfortunate...
I will follow pichlos example and employ a jolla one to navigate for the next days to have more samples.
Non such occurrences on my daily XA2 use.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Maybe you could try tomorrow again, on the way back from work. Assuming that it will hang too. If it will, please attach gdb to it and obtain backtrace:

1. find out which process is running pure maps
2. gdb sailfish-qml pid
3. in gdb: thread apply all bt
I tried it on the way to work for a change And yes, it did hung again.
Here are the results:

Code:
,---
| Sailfish OS 3.0.3.10 (Hossa)
'---
[nemo@Dinghy ~]$ ps aux | grep pure
nemo     13701 26.4 11.1 239508 92420 ?        Ssl  06:19  27:35 sailfish-qml harbour-pure-maps --
nemo     14779  0.0  0.0   4892   632 ?        S    06:41   0:00 invoker --type=generic --single-instance harbour-pure-maps
nemo     16868  0.0  0.0   1532   236 pts/0    S+   08:04   0:00 grep pure
[nemo@Dinghy ~]$ gdb sailfish-qml 13701
GNU gdb (GDB) Mer (7.6.2+git5)
Copyright (C) 2013 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "armv7hl-meego-linux-gnueabi".
For bug reporting instructions, please see:
<http://www.gnu.org/software/gdb/bugs/>...
Reading symbols from /usr/bin/sailfish-qml...Missing separate debuginfo for /usr/bin/sailfish-qml
Try: zypper install -C "debuginfo(build-id)=875227329e284cd11618a77e53b72faff2d8c540"
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
Attaching to program: /usr/bin/sailfish-qml, process 13701
Reading symbols from /usr/lib/libsailfishapp.so.1...Missing separate debuginfo for /usr/lib/libsailfishapp.so.1
Try: zypper install -C "debuginfo(build-id)=6d021c1a552a10fb5a6409cb4eb1b400fb872eb2"
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
<snip about five screens of similar lines>
warning: Unable to find libthread_db matching inferior's thread library, thread debugging will not be available.
0x41741da2 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
(gdb) thread apply all bt

Thread 1 (process 13701):
#0  0x41741da2 in poll () from /lib/libc.so.6
#1  0x43e2109a in ?? () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#2  0x43e2116a in g_main_context_iteration () from /usr/lib/libglib-2.0.so.0
#3  0x40fd2e14 in QEventDispatcherGlib::processEvents(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#4  0x40f99b4e in QEventLoop::exec(QFlags<QEventLoop::ProcessEventsFlag>) () from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#5  0x40f9f2d8 in QCoreApplication::exec() () from /usr/lib/libQt5Core.so.5
#6  0x40036f1e in main ()
(gdb)
Originally Posted by olf View Post
The heavy battery use you observed is "normal" on a Jolla 1with GPS on and Pure Maps (plus potentially OSMSS) running all the time.
Yes, I know. I was just slightly disappointed that switching to "online" made no difference. I was expecting some, considering that a lot of the heavy processing would be offloaded to some anonymous server somewhere.

Originally Posted by olf View Post
I also perceived this as confusing in some situations, but had (and still have) no idea to suggest something better.
One simple option would be not to show there anything, unless we are on the road.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
That sounds like doable.
Where to dig deeper?
And sorry i delay with those promised sailfishified osm icons :/ I just ran out of ideas to make in reasonable time... maybe it just hits me someday.

That would be quite unfortunate...
I will follow pichlos example and employ a jolla one to navigate for the next days to have more samples.
Non such occurrences on my daily XA2 use.
One way to start with the styles would be to login into your Mapbox developer account and start its studio. Try to take one of their base styles and adjust it, change things and through it to get some feeling about it. OSM Scout Server uses the similar styles, but the tools to generate them are different. However, for learning, I would expect Mapbox tools are the best.

Some reading:

https://docs.mapbox.com/studio-manual/reference/styles/
https://docs.mapbox.com/help/how-map...ks/map-design/

When you feel that you are getting a hand on it, we can look into the solution that I made for OSM Scout Server.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post: