Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's this actually for? The N900 already plays DVDs, so i must be missing something here

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Sorry for the dumb question, but what's this actually for? The N900 already plays DVDs, so i must be missing something here
Hi,

Maybe because with open source I have the freedom of choice ?

A++

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
It does? Where?

I think I misunderstood this, actually...
This doesn't work with DRM protected DVDs, does it? I.e. for streaming a legally bought DVD from a remote DVD-ROM to the N900. IMO, a DVD-rip and a DVD, not the same.

Originally Posted by volt View Post
It does? Where?
What i mean is you can copy a DVD to the N900 and play it without converting it

Yeah, okay. As I said, I want to play a DVD... Not a DVD rip. Not the same thing. Sorry

Posts: 458 | Thanked: 783 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ France
Yeah, okay. As I said, I want to play a DVD... Not a DVD rip. Not the same thing. Sorry
You definitively don't understand anything

With this version of mplayer :

If you dump a 1:1 copy of a dvd in an ISO file you can play this ISO file.

BUT !!! You can also play a dvd, directly from a dvd player you connect to the n900 with USB hostmode !!!

It's not proper to the n900 version of mplayer, it's since stone age mplayer is able to play dvd.

You can also have a look to the documentation : http://en.lmgtfy.com/?q=mplayer+documentation

Hope it help ...

A++

Last edited by colin.stephane; 2010-12-04 at 13:10.

The Following User Says Thank You to colin.stephane For This Useful Post:
Not the same thing, but it is what this app seems to do, hence why I asked what its purpose is (no offence to the creator, I'm probably misunderstanding something).

As I see it, the N900 natively plays DVD files that are transferred to it, through KMPlayer, mplayer, default media player or mediabox.

If you want to play actual DVDs, you want USB hostmode, not this. Although that baffles me too, because i can't quite work out where i'd be that i'd have a DVD player but no TV

If I understand Colin correctly two posts above this one - and I think I did all along - that's not all this new package does. It will also play a DVD connected over USB in host mode. Which is not the same as a RIP.

Rich, I don't care for RIPs. They're like taking a cassette copy to the car instead of having a car radio that can play CDs. Or a CDR instead of having a car that can play from a USB stick. So I would like to put one of my hundred DVDs into a DVD player, and watch it on the fly. This app seems to allow for that, from USB. I would like to do that with a network shared DVD player. And with DRM (in linux often provided through libdvdcss?) + zone support, since that's how DVDs are these days. You know, like any regular DVD player on a stationary Windows box. But, alas, with a shared network drive.

This app seems to be somewhat closer to what I want, but not yet quite there? And I never really expected to get there in this generation mobile linux, anyway. But in two years, maybe.

Last edited by volt; 2010-12-06 at 15:54.

all,
i am getting the following dependency issue as shown in the screen capture, can you help? I am on PR1.3 and have all the standard repositiories enabled per OP.

cheers,
Attached Images