Active Topics

Posts: 383 | Thanked: 344 times | Joined on Jun 2013 @ Greece, Athens
Ok so I am thinking of getting a tablet(my first one!) and I am not sure of what should I pick up...

I came up with these two "brother" tablets which are slightly different and I don't know which one to pick up!

What I want to do with them:
  • surf the web/maybe some videocalls and chatting too(not that much)
  • dual boot(if possible) and try to do mods myself(and learn more things like this )
  • play games(maybe I will use it for trying some games I will try to make myself)
  • maybe do some painting/sketching

These are all I can think!
Actually I don't care that much about the size!
What bothers me is that the 8" one has an ARM processor and the 10" one has an x86 processor.... How can this affect the speed of the tablet?? Also I searched a little for having linux or even windows(they are not open sourced, I know) on the 10", because I thought it could be cool to have an x86 processor on a portable device and run these operating systems on this!

What do you guys think I should get?
Thanks in advance

P.S: I am talking only for the WiFi version of both of these!

Last edited by bill_klpd; 2014-05-11 at 14:52.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Can I suggest something not in your list?
If you want an 8 inch tablet, there's the Galaxy Note 8. It has an S Pen making it better suited for your sketching/painting needs. It also has a better processor and more RAM. I prepared a side-by-side comparison between the two 8 inchers: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5456

If your budget is flexible, I think you should also consider the Note 10.1 2014 Edition. I can't comment on the X86 processor of the Tab 10.1. Here's another side-by-side for the 10inchers: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5491 The resolution of the Tab 3 10.1 is pretty low for a tablet of that size.

By the way, don't you want a Nexus 7 2013 or LG G Pad 8.3?

But if I am the one buying a tablet now, I'd go for the Note 8.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Dont go With note 8. It's slow. 10.1 2014 is far better.

If you want budget, go With nexus 7. Its great for the price.

Infact, if you can afford IT. Dont go tab.

BTW. What is you main use cases?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2014-05-11 at 17:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Can I suggest something not in your list?
If you want an 8 inch tablet, there's the Galaxy Note 8. It has an S Pen making it better suited for your sketching/painting needs. It also has a better processor and more RAM. I prepared a side-by-side comparison between the two 8 inchers: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5456

If your budget is flexible, I think you should also consider the Note 10.1 2014 Edition. I can't comment on the X86 processor of the Tab 10.1. Here's another side-by-side for the 10inchers: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5491 The resolution of the Tab 3 10.1 is pretty low for a tablet of that size.

By the way, don't you want a Nexus 7 2013 or LG G Pad 8.3?

But if I am the one buying a tablet now, I'd go for the Note 8.
Thanks for these

Actually my dad has a discount from his mobile phone carrier and he told me to get whatever I want but the price needs to be at around 250-260 euros. (The discount is 220 euros..)
I have found the galaxy note 8 in a website from a local store, but it says that it is not available...
This is why I don't know what to get if they don't have the note 8.

I wish I could buy a Nexus or the LG G pad, but I am grateful that I can even get a tablet or something else right now, in this economic situation in general

So, if I can get the note 8(if it is available) I will definitely get it, but if it is not which one should I choose?

Last edited by bill_klpd; 2014-05-11 at 17:38.

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Mind you, I don't own a Note 8, I have a Note II and bought a Note 10.1 2014 for my brother. The only reason I recommend it is because of the S Pen and the online reviews for it are not bad.
I think the Nexus is more hacker friendly and cheaper than the Samsungs although the screen is smaller.
Just check the cost of the G Pad and the Nexus before taking them out of the list.

Originally Posted by vetsin View Post
Mind you, I don't own a Note 8, I have a Note II and bought a Note 10.1 2014 for my brother. The only reason I recommend it is because of the S Pen and the online reviews for it are not bad.
I think the Nexus is more hacker friendly and cheaper than the Samsungs although the screen is smaller.
Just check the cost of the G Pad and the Nexus before taking them out of the list.
I have seen some reviews of the note 8 as well and it seems pretty good. I don't know if it will be luggy after all.

For the Nexus and the G Pad on the stores where we can have this discount they cost 300 euros and I will not be able to get them because of the price...

I have already asked

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bill_klpd For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Im happy to hear you Will get your first tablet. GL. Its Fun With new tech.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Im happy to hear you Will get your first tablet. GL. Its Fun With new tech.
Yeah thanks!

But I am not sure which one of the devices I can get fits me better, this is why I thought about asking here

Personally I wouldn't recommend Android tablets.
They're nothing but an oversized phone.

In general, I found their UI not very good. The Apps pretty poor (overblown) and just not much of a laptop replacement as I'd like.

The PlayBook is phenomenal but its on outdated hardware, and lacks ecosystem. Great potential without a future.

The only thing that makes sense is the iPad. The 32GB WiFi rMini. The iPad 4 and Air are pretty good too.

I would only recommend Android tablets as cheaper alternatives, providing they're decent quality and have a community to boot. A secondhand Transformer or Nexus are okay, I guess.

Otherwise, keep your money and use it to upgrade your smartphone.

My $0.02

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
As kangal said i was recommending an ipad if you want a tablet seriously . Most important is if you go tab take the biggest screen possibe as its always bulky pain to carry around or else go after nexus . I had a note for 1month sold it preparing for an ipad or irtab.

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post: