Poll: Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900
Poll Options
Have you had charging or USB problems with your N900

News flash.
I am still without a phone.
I have requested that my N900 should be changed with an E7, but I have not heard from Nokia since.
Also, for you that need a replacement phone to sell to buy something new, know that the replacement device, in the EU anyway, has 2 years guarantee from Nokia. And that you should request something like a receipt for the replacement phone and a 2-year guarantee. (I turned into a law scholar for godamn nokia...)

The Following User Says Thank You to iceman358 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by Bengt View Post
Nokia N900 repaired!

Hi all! My daughter had this problem with her Nokia N900. The USB connector got loose and she couldn't charge it. As usual I disassembled the phone (it was surprisingly easy, at thought such a phone should be complicated to disassemble!) and soon I could see the problem. The USB connector have loosened from its pads. I tried to solder it down again but I realized that the copper foil have loosened from the laminate at the small pads under the connector so it didn't help. They were also impossible to investigate without desolder the entire connector. Trying to do so I found it extremely difficult to solder. All heat just flooded away into the copper planes. At that point I started Googling and found this forum. Very interesting but no solutions!

What is the problem? Regardless what some have said the reason to that the connector is getting loose is a bad design of the pads. The designer have put tens of laser vias into each pad and that leads away all the heat down to the planes. Especially one side of the connector have bad soldering. The very close shield box is another reason. So this design made it impossible to get a through soldering of the connector during the manufacturing.

Repair? I desoldered the remaining parts, it was so difficult that I ended up cutting it to pieces. Now I could see that the small pads inside the connector was directly connected to inner layers through laser vias. Impossible to solder again. There was a little crater in each of the pads down to inner layers. Therefore the only solution would be to put cables from the connector to somewhere on the board IF I could find such a place. I managed to dig down into the laser vias using a sharp tweezer and could start searching with the multimeter.

YES, there are test pads for the entire USB connector elsewhere on the board. So, I bought a new connector, soldered very small cables to it and connected them to test pads. (Using a high end professional soldering station). I covered some of the broken pads with isolation paint because underlaying conductors have been freed. Just to make sure nothing got short cut. I used another, very high power soldering iron to solder the new connector. This time, with more power, it worked. One pin in the corner of the shield box was impossible to solder so I soldered it directly to the shield box instead!.

Tested it and it worked perfectly!

I have uploaded two images. One of the free pads and one of the repair. You can see the pads on the mother board that i used. For GND I used the original pads after putting a small wire from the pin to the connector case.
Nice work, can see at the schematic that i missed the J5300 and J5301 where you took the data connection to from the fixed USB, still missing the ESD protection, but this should be easy to make/buy.

Be careful with test pad, dude. They're bypassing protection circuit entirely (connected to chip directly), so using them as everyday USB 2.0 solution is putting Your daughter's N900 into risk of unrepairable damage.

Also, actually, there *are* perfectly working solutions on this very forum - from "fixing" design fail before port break (to save it), to actually repairing port, even in case, when USB pads are destroyed and useless. you just haven't searched effectively

Anyway, thanks for pictures and story. It's very good, that another N900 was saved from being trashed by Nokia "oxym.oron" care.

Just really, really avoid using this port when not necessary (like reflash), because every static (harmless normally) bring great danger now. Frying chip is no joy. Also, there is possibility that You won't be able to get real USB high-speed, due to lack of twisted-pair cable setup and shielding.

// Edit

dr_frost_dk, very interesting idea of re-creating protection circuits. I wonder if it would be doable in a way, that everything can still sit inside N900 + with achieving high-speed like in original, fully working port.

Parts shouldn't be expensive - if it would fit inside phone, that may be ultimate solution for every "hopeless" case, when soldering to internal parts (after port pads) isn't possible.

Damn, it would even allow to get full-sized port inside, for example, mugen cover
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-09-16 at 01:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Dammm this thread is getting WAY too big and difficult to find the actual information people need.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I like superglue because it is easy to remove.
But if your phone is out of warranty and fails, its not likely to get repaired anyway. So why not try some epoxy resin, in the hope of making it last a bit longer?
It has been explained countless many times by me and dr_frost_dk that glue is just NOT the way to repair this port as it just breaks off again.

Soldering really is the only way forward and a permanent fix.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Also, actually, there *are* perfectly working solutions on this very forum - from "fixing" design fail before port break (to save it), to actually repairing port, even in case, when USB pads are destroyed and useless. you just haven't searched effectively
Ah, youe are right, I didn't found those posts

Actually, I didn't searched I just read through a LOT of pages of this thread. Is there a schematic? There? I can't find it and know I have searched. Most USB protection circuits are transient diodes connected to GND. So in that case they are still there even if the effect may have been reduced. I just measured the resistance between the pads and it is zeror so if there are inductors or something similar low ohmicat DC, yes I have bypassed them.

But it would be great if more people can have use from my repair. The trick to solder it down directly to the shield box is pretty neat I think.
Maybe I should mention that I also used a microscope for soldering the wires to the USB connector.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bengt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Sep 2011 @ Kumasi - Ghana
I was wondering if anyone can be of help to me cos when i use the usb/ wall charger to charge the phone and after i have disconnected from the pc or the wall socket, the battery will still be charging. What could be the possible cause, is it the charger/usb fault or the usb port is broken....

Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Dammm this thread is getting WAY too big and difficult to find the actual information people need.
Then wikify the gen... that's what the wiki's for.

Want to improve the location bar's search capabilities? there's a wiki page for that too...

The Following User Says Thank You to TomJ For This Useful Post:
I think I would prefer abil away from Wiki But, otherwise, post is essentially true.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
My USB port is also broken now after 18 months~ of careful use :/

Tags
bad design, broken, charging, failure, hardware, loose, microusb, microusb port, n900, nokia, part, port, repair, return, surface mount, usb, usb port, warranty