Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Reading a post before wring a reply like that might be a good starting point, too.
Oh, please:

We may have only one or two apps for a specific task, but that's better than having 500 applications that make your N810 fart in stereo.
So:

Maemo: 1 or 2 apps per task
Others: 500 applications that make your device fart in stereo

What did I misunderstand again?

Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
We don't have groundbreaking work as Layar because... what exactly ? Why students with reseach projects don't embrace Maemo and publish software on it ? What other great software apart from liqbase do we have on Maemo ? What is that the Maemo is missing to enhance its appeal to innovators, and how can we ammend that ?
This is a case of can't see the forest for the trees. A media player will be very popular as it appeals to everybody, same goes for the other stuff you mention. This doesn't mean there are no interesting apps, but that they simply won't be shown on the top of the pile (mentioned liqbase being a good example of this). Take a look on the AppStore top 100, it's the same situation. Just how many revolutionary things do you see there ? Very, very little. I mean, really, Tetris ? Frogger ? Solitaire ? Bejeweled ? Scrabble ?

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
So:

Maemo: 1 or 2 apps per task
Others: 500 applications that make your device fart in stereo

What did I misunderstand again?
You don't understand that it's completly unrealistic to expect more than 1-2 apps per task for a niche OS like Maemo. (Maemo <=4, that is.)
That, in fact, it exceeds expectations to have these 1-2 applications per task at all. (I mean: eCoach, Carman, a bible reader (!!!), easyChem,... who would have expected things like these when the 770 was introduced?)

(Or maybe you do understand and just keep it going...)

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Espoo, Finland
You don't understand that it's completly unrealistic to expect more than 1-2 apps per task for a niche OS like Maemo. (Maemo <=4, that is.)
I think it's you who doesn't seem to understand what I was talking about, go back and read the messages. Take it easy. It's your point about what the other platforms have available that I have an issue with, quite conveniently you seem to NOT comment on that. Go on, tell me about the 500 fart apps now. I'm listening.

It's not as much a question of a niche as in difference in philosophy. With Maemo, as most OSS, it's about an itch being scratched. With Apple/Android, it's about a developer believing that HIS implementation will the the next best thing and not the other 499 developers who attempted to address the same issue. In more economy-oriented terms, on Maemo development is driven by DEMAND, while in appstore oriented OSes, as awkward it may seem at a first glance, development is driven by SUPPLY.

Originally Posted by BatPenguin View Post
I think it's you who doesn't seem to understand what I was talking about
See? And suddenly we agree.

Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
It's not as much a question of a niche as in difference in philosophy. With Maemo, as most OSS, it's about an itch being scratched. With Apple/Android, it's about a developer believing that HIS implementation will the the next best thing and not the other 499 developers who attempted to address the same issue. In more economy-oriented terms, on Maemo development is driven by DEMAND, while in appstore oriented OSes, as awkward it may seem at a first glance, development is driven by SUPPLY.
Right, that's the second factor I wrote about in my post:

Also, there's no "app store" where you could make money from applications. So what you could realistically hope for is that those who own a Maemo device may eventually develop/port what they need for themselves and make it available for the public.
This is expected to change, of course, with M6.

Posts: 90 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Sep 2006 @ Bucuresti, Romania
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
... on Maemo development is driven by DEMAND, while in appstore oriented OSes, as awkward it may seem at a first glance, development is driven by SUPPLY.
Highly interesting point of view. But I believe true innovation cannot occur based on DEMAND, because the user doesn't know what may lay around next corner - innovation is driven by SUPPLY because of the need to supress one's competitor in the market place.

Laugh as you want at the fart / I am rich apps on the store, but I believe they are highly innovative in terms of user experience - nobody before the iPhone conceived Joe User might want his expensive smart phone to fart, but it seems the user wants this !

Now, I don't want fart apps on the phone, I want innovation in both technological and user experience sense; but we must ask ourselves: when photoshop.com releases a highly succesfull free app for the iPhone, what would take to have it released for the Maemo too ?

Originally Posted by ddalex View Post
Highly interesting point of view. But I believe true innovation cannot occur based on DEMAND, because the user doesn't know what may lay around next corner - innovation is driven by SUPPLY because of the need to supress one's competitor in the market place.
Don't forget that in the OSS world (unlike the AppStore equvalent), developers/hackers play a huge, if not determining factor in DEMAND, and that's where most of the innovation stems from.

ourselves: when photoshop.com releases a highly succesfull free app for the iPhone, what would take to have it released for the Maemo too ?
It would take X millions of people willing to pay for it. Nothing to do with technology or distribution channels, appstores, etc.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
But is there a reason why the community couldn't create an OS 'photo-shop' equivalent, which would do graphics editing beyond the pre-installed photo tolls and call it 'maemo-shop'?

Would this be impossible? Would the very idea pf a graphics editing tool imping on Adobe's licence?

Tags
android, iphone, maemo, market share