Poll: Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?
Poll Options
Ovi Store on N900 - what do you think of it?

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
What is Ovi Store? I heard about that but I've never seen any

Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
By the way this isn't meant to be a scientific analysis hence the very limited number of options in the poll - it's just to gauge opinion and to roughly determine whether Nokia are doing a good job with Ovi Store, or not.

Hopefully the comments will give Nokia additional clarity in support of the poll voting, assuming they or anyone from Ovi Store reads this of course.

Personally speaking I've tried to download applications from Ovi Store (both free and non-free) that I know are available in the Ovi Store, but for whatever reason I've been completely unable to find the applications (Weather Bug, Angry Birds) when I've visited Ovi Store from the device (can see the apps on my PC) so in the case of Angry Birds the developer (and Nokia) didn't make any money from me.

I'm not alone here, this is a problem I've seen reported elsewhere - it's shockingly bad, and rank amateurish.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
I would REALLY like to hear a few words from the one guy who voted "It's very good".
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I voted for it being fine. The website isn't too bad, although I hate that sideways overshooting in the Maemo browser while scrolling down.
So far I had no problems with payments. For being beta it's OK. Hopefully the final thing will get more polish, though.
I remember Android forums where people where complaining at the payment system of the Android market (Google Checkout), which didn't work for many people either. So I guess all stores have some trouble with payment. Maybe even the fruit shop.
The big major advantage of Ovi store compared to the application manager is that it can sort apps by age.

Now the shop only needs more apps.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 106 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
I would REALLY like to hear a few words from the one guy who voted "It's very good".
I voted it's very good... for me it's very good compared with others store's from others company.
If somebody have more expectations or want some more is another thing.
For me...for my needs...for what i use...for my noob level...it's more than enough

Last edited by vitamina; 2010-07-13 at 18:49.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vitamina For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
I know the Android market from a year ago. While it had a lot more apps, the overall quality and usefulness of the apps was a lot worse compared even with Ovi store on the N900.

And the great apps paid from Android market are not available in all countries...

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 89 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Norway
OVI Store is the worst ever store I have bougt anything from. But as long as it is the only option I got to pay for apps/games... what can I say other than. Wtfbbq Nokia what are you doing?

"Sex is not the answer. Sex is the question. Yes is the answer..."

The Following User Says Thank You to inidrog For This Useful Post:
Why whole lot of complaining ? There are problems in the others camps ...
On android forums, a guy was glad when a certain application to be launched, his phone's is going to be as good as the N900.
There are problems and minuses to any platform, counts on you to choose what suits you and what you nevoie.In today if you buy a phone without a serious documentation about it, about company services and about the company offered support end up with many threads that start like "N900 disappointed me"

It's all about us!

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 321 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland (Turku)
I think the biggest problem (besides there's practically nothing to download) is, that the new items aren't promoted anywhere. I have set a bookmark to see all the new releases in the games section, and check it out probably every other day or so.

In general it isn't that bad, it's easy to use, and the overall design is simple. But basically it's just a list of applications, no promotions, no specials, no discounts. In other words, boring. I don't want to compare Ovi Store to other mobile marketplaces, but they really should learn how they do it in Steam. It's almost impossible to visit their site without buying something...

These are just my opinions of the N900 Ovi Store as I have never used Ovi Store on a Symbian device.

Tags
iphone, ovi sucks