Active Topics

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skanky For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
This is pretty darn good for the price! Somebody slap sailfish on it!

http://www.phonedog.com/videos/blu-pure-xl-first-look

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
This is pretty darn good for the price! Somebody slap sailfish on it!

http://www.phonedog.com/videos/blu-pure-xl-first-look
Good specs & seems very snappy,but two things I don't like: Android & 6 inch (to big for me).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by delmar View Post
Good specs & seems very snappy,but two things I don't like: Android & 6 inch (to big for me).
I'm increasingly inclined towards bigger screened devices, they're so much better for photos and videos and media generally, though i think 5.7" is a limit for me. Sailfish would be useless on something like that though ... media features are almost non-existent, and the OS is one giant memory leak.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-09-12 at 19:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluefoot For This Useful Post:
Well, I do appreciate your sentiments concerning Android, although it has definitely improved over the years. Also makes a huge difference if you root it, spend the time to customize it, and take advantage of mods/roms some very talented developers made to improve it. Not unlike many things folks do here on maemo. But I guess an important question is, if you live in the US, what phone would you use?

Last edited by mscion; 2015-09-12 at 19:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Well, I do appreciate your sentiments concerning Android, although it has definitely improved over the years. Also makes a huge difference if you root it, spend the time to customize it, and take advantage of mods/roms some very talented developers made to improve it. Not unlike many things folks do here on maemo. But I guess an important question is, if you live in the US, what phone would you use?
I live in Europe, but in USA probably I would have to use an Android because some devices there are not available or not working.

Not that here in Europe the situation is much better. I'm happy with the N9, but wanting a new device with good specs and not with one of the two main os'es on board, actually there is nothing. Hoping there will be somebody releasing a Sailfish 2.0 high end device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
...Not that here in Europe the situation is much better. I'm happy with the N9, but wanting a new device with good specs and not with one of the two main os'es on board, actually there is nothing. Hoping there will be somebody releasing a Sailfish 2.0 high end device.
Have a look at this. http://www.meizu.com/en/ubuntu/features.html
However, personally, I'm tired of this trend, the one when they try to feed you up with stuff you actually don't need at all.

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xanderx View Post
Have a look at this. http://www.meizu.com/en/ubuntu/features.html
However, personally, I'm tired of this trend, the one when they try to feed you up with stuff you actually don't need at all.
I guess meizu is coming up with a version that has LTE on some US carriers but I'm not too excited by how things on the different screens are organized on the ubuntu phone. Maybe it's possible to customize to improve ui. Need to learn more about how active the development community is for this device. My all time favorite ui is on the n9. Most intuitive phone I ever used. But, as I also want the best hardware, especially for browsing and camera, among other things, I'm pretty much limited to android for now (also want to be able to hack away at it!). I do have the Jolla phone with TOHKBD. I bought it partly to support its development even though I can't use it as a dd in US. Regardless, I do like it and hope there is a Jolla 2 phone that works in US. The good news is I plan on bringing my Jolla phone with me when I visit Strasbourg and Zurich some time in November. So can anyone recommend a sim card to buy that works best there? Thanks!

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 194 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Norway
Quite hefty specs. Not sure how realistic it is.

Symetium
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...martphone-pc#/
64/128/256GB Storage + SD card slot for 128GB
6GB RAM
Snapdragon 820
1080p 5" OLED Screen
front facing stereo speakers
24MP Camera
USB Type C
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
IP 67 dust and waterproof certification
4000mAh battery
weight: approc. 150g
dimension 130mm x 63mm x 6mm
bluetooth 4.0
Wifi A/B/G/N/AC
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
WCDMA 850/900/1800/1900/2100
LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/28
2% founded, 39 days left, $1,250,000 USD goal
perks $599 - 9.999
estimated delivery August 2016

PS! How to get Sailfish OS on it?

Last edited by hhbbap; 2015-09-30 at 21:24. Reason: added name

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hhbbap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by hhbbap View Post
Quite hefty specs. Not sure how realistic it is.

Symetium
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/s...martphone-pc#/
64/128/256GB Storage + SD card slot for 128GB
6GB RAM
Snapdragon 820
1080p 5" OLED Screen
front facing stereo speakers
24MP Camera
USB Type C
Android 6.0 Marshmallow
IP 67 dust and waterproof certification
4000mAh battery
weight: approc. 150g
dimension 130mm x 63mm x 6mm
bluetooth 4.0
Wifi A/B/G/N/AC
GSM 850/900/1800/1900
WCDMA 850/900/1800/1900/2100
LTE bands 1/2/3/4/5/7/8/12/17/20/28
2% founded, 39 days left, $1,250,000 USD goal
perks $599 - 9.999
estimated delivery August 2016

PS! How to get Sailfish OS on it?
In my personal experience, I am confident to say this is pretty much a HOAX.

Simply a mobile phone does not build that way. In reality, let's assume they really can build a phone with that specs, (wihch, for this amount of money , they can't), they will never get the latest components from the suppliers, like 6GB ram (yeah, which kind of stupid mobile OS needs that much ram?!), it is 4GB +2GB but samsung or whatever won't sell the 4GB ram set to you, even if you have enough amount of order to compare with samsung, which you won't.

Same applies to 256 GB rom.

And a phone doesn't build that way, a battery size is defined before over all structure/design is finished? Seriously? There is lots of engineering work to be done to design PCB, antenna, RF etc no one knows which kind of shape or size left for battery how can you know before that.

A lot of people make mistakes between building a phone with assembling a car of desktop, phones are not built that way.

Tried to let some id1ots on TJC know this when they tried to crowdsourcing a new phone, bot no one listens. I guess building a dream handset is a popular topic amongst fanboys.

And it is naive to believe a handset with that specs can be built with budget around $1M.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:

Tags
'smarvelous, 'swonderful, latest, not greatest