Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Thought some of you would find this interesting:

http://buruonbrails.blogspot.com/200...-vs-maemo.html

The Following User Says Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
This was on reddit a few minutes ago:
http://buruonbrails.blogspot.com/200...-vs-maemo.html

I think it's a good read.

I'm unsure if this is the right forum to post this. Admin, if this needs to be moved to Development or any other, please do.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bluehash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Thanks. As someone who isn't a developer, I got a clearer picture from that article of what differentiates Maemo from Android, and how important the open-source community is specifically for the Maemo project.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Interesting read. Except for the author's views on Gtk.

The Following User Says Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
For the present he could mention Python since many apps rely on it.

For the future he could mention the Qt cross-platform strategy and the fact that Maemo/Symbian platforms can share a lot of application code.

I think the article is a bit obsolete already now. Read it again after the Maemo Summit and again at the end of the year.

I'm talking about the "facts" and "strategies" he mentions. Android is a great rival and there is no doubt about it.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
. Android is a great rival and there is no doubt about it.
Which is good and healthy and will keep us on our toes.

Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bluehash View Post
I'm unsure if this is the right forum to post this. Admin, if this needs to be moved to Development or any other, please do.
I posted it to "Competitors" some hours ago where nobody saw it, so General was a good call ;-).

Among other things, the blog post neglects to mention that for the next device it's already sensible to develop applications with Qt, creating the illusion that you are pretty much stuck with C.

And it's not like you can't use Gtk+ as-is in a C++ program...

He says Android has an advantage in that XML is used for GUI building. That however, is also the purpose of GTK's Glade tool, which spits out an XML description of the GUI. The program itself can be written in C or any of the languages that have bindings, and in it you simply load the GUI from the XML. It may not be as fresh-faced as Android, but GTK isn't exactly Stone Age either.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nexus7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
He also seems not to be aware of the fact that Maemo will not wait till 2011 to get Qt. Qt apps are here *today*, and, lo and behold, they use XML, dynamic state-based UIs, sqlite storage, internationalization and whatnot. Also, with Python you can't say even Scratchbox hinders you that much unless you really-really depend on some Maemo hardware or specific.

The Following User Says Thank You to attila77 For This Useful Post:
Which is why I am dumping android like a hot potatoe

Tags
android, compare, maemo