Does anyone have any concrete info on the calendar that ships with fremantle? What sync protocols does it use? Is it reliant on Mail for Exchange only? What data formats does it use to store info? Does Nokia intend to open the source? Will I have a chance to backport it to Diablo or Mer?

I'm really frustrated by the slightly-overlapping efforts made with calendaring programs in general, and if I could make a compatible application for Diablo, Mer, and linux in general it would make my life a lot easier.

I intend to buy an n900 when they're available here, but I don't plan to jettison the n810 I use every day. I'm interested in maintaining it as a useful tool, and its use would be greatly extended if it were interoperable with the n900.

So, who's got some hard information on fremantle's calendar?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
All I can tell you is that I am using Mail for Exchange to sync with my Google Calendar and it works fine for me. I haven't a clue about the other details, unfortunately.

Posts: 362 | Thanked: 145 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Sydney, Australia
Originally Posted by zerojay View Post
All I can tell you is that I am using Mail for Exchange to sync with my Google Calendar and it works fine for me. I haven't a clue about the other details, unfortunately.
I presume that you only sync your main google calendar then?

AFAIK the google exchange sync can only handle one calendar...

and btw - what about google contacts, any info on that?

The Following User Says Thank You to nikolajhendel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
My current device will let me back up all calander data to the memory card. Can I do that, transfer the card, and just suck it all into the freemantle calendar?

Posts: 654 | Thanked: 664 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Germany
Sync via bluetooth between N900 and E51 worked fine for me. Real SyncML support seems to be missing, though...

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
My current device will let me back up all calander data to the memory card. Can I do that, transfer the card, and just suck it all into the freemantle calendar?
This will probably depend on your current device, and more specifically, what format it outputs the calendar data. .ics is the usual standard for cross-platform calendar data, although according to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=344242 the Maemo 5 Calendar can't import that format, which seems surprising.

Last edited by pelago; 2009-10-12 at 08:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
although according to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=344242 the Maemo 5 Calendar can't import that format
What I've found is that it uses some sqlite database. There should be an API that converts it to .ics, but I haven't found the option to import from or export to ics in the native calendar app.

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
As yerga has revealed in the http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=344242 thread, to import .ics, just open it via File Manager, so that should answer RevdKathy's question, assuming her other device can export in .ics.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 696 | Thanked: 1,012 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Asturies, Spain
Originally Posted by rdv View Post
What I've found is that it uses some sqlite database. There should be an API that converts it to .ics, but I haven't found the option to import from or export to ics in the native calendar app.
An to export, go to the Calendar ->Settings ->Edit calendars->Choose a calendar->Export
It will create a .ics file.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yerga For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
Originally Posted by nikolajhendel View Post
btw - what about google contacts, any info on that?
First impressions are very positive here. Using Mail for Exchange, I got all my Google Contacts onto my device very quickly (after unboxing and turning on, it took me less than five minutes to have access to Gmail, and sync with Google Calendar and Google Contacts - couldn't have been easier).
Just not sure yet if 100% of the fields will sync - the N900 has really powerful contacts.

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."