Notices

The people at the Ovi Blog have said[1] that the Maps team is working on porting new Ovi Maps versions to 'non-Symbian platforms', including Maemo. They don't provide a timeline -- a PR1.2 lesson, I'm sure -- but they've claimed more than once[2] that they're working on it. All we can really do is hope -- but in the meantime, I rely in Mappero (and I still use Maemo Mapper on my n810).

1- http://blog.ovi.com/2010/09/15/disco...#comment-31289
2 - http://blog.ovi.com/2010/08/03/contr...#comment-16988

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Originally Posted by peynaud View Post
Wait for Meego (It's coming), it will probably have better GPS software.
The community supported version of MeeGo (the only one the N900 will get) will very likely not have any of the Nokia apps on it. No Maps, no Messaging, etc.

I would either buy a dedicated unit (defeats the purpose of having such a smart device), or keep an eye on nitdroid. As bunason said, it works very well. Far less frustrating than using Ovi Maps. Frankly, I'm considering removing Maps and its data, and just boot over to nitdroid for my navigation needs.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Frankly, I'm considering removing Maps and its data, and just boot over to nitdroid for my navigation needs.
Thats an online solution though isn't it? Rather than offline like Ovi Maps / Sygic.

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
The community supported version of MeeGo (the only one the N900 will get) will very likely not have any of the Nokia apps on it. No Maps, no Messaging, etc.

I would either buy a dedicated unit (defeats the purpose of having such a smart device), or keep an eye on nitdroid. As bunason said, it works very well. Far less frustrating than using Ovi Maps. Frankly, I'm considering removing Maps and its data, and just boot over to nitdroid for my navigation needs.
What is your source for this? If none of the above will work on MeeGo on the N900 there seems little point in ever installing on the device in the first place?

I also read recently there was a suggestion from Nokia if Ovi maps was a simple post on to meego we would get it (however we have of course heard that about meamo in the past!)

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
@Marlon

I'd much rather have an off-line solution. Ovi Maps needs to be online to search (even though being vector based it doesn't need to be, bad design by Nokia). Navit is the only other vector based solution I know of, but I find it's data (OpenStreetMaps) is not very accurate in my area.

I don't think any of the tile based (online) solutions for Maemo support automatic re-routing. So, if I have to be online, I'd like automatic re-routing, poi's, etc. I think nitdroid is the best solution so far.

@droitwichgas -

I don't have the links handy, but Quim Gil (our resident Nokia rep) has implied (to the best of my recollection) that the community supported version of MeeGo likely won't get Nokia/Ovi branded apps. I think he did leave a little wiggle room. But, in my experience, that is just marketing speak for "it won't get them, but it would upset people if we came right out and said it, so we'll leave it a little vague".

Besides, if Nokia made it so that the branded apps worked with the community version of MeeGo (for the N900), it would be easy to make them work with any other version of MeeGo. Then you'd have cheap Chinese knock-offs running Ovi Maps. So they may as well leave them as binary blobs available only to official version of MeeGo, tied to hardware. That would at least cut down of some of the piracy. And don't forget, I think this will include access to Ovi Store as well. You'd be limited to the Extras repo, which might not be bad comparatively, if that's even available.

*edit* I don't think there will ever be much point in running MeeGo on the N900 for the average user. Take modest for instance, I think most people agree it's not the best email app (slow, flaws, no imap-idle, etc). But there aren't any realistic replacements out there (for a normal user). Why? IMHO, because none are tied into the notification system, and you have to leave them up and running (as opposed to in the background like modest). I know I don't want remember to start a program and not accidentally close it, I'd miss the blinking led if I don't here the audio alert, etc.

I believe that MeeGo for the N900 will be very basic, fine perhaps for a power user / developer, but mostly useless for a normal user. Very basic phone and messaging functionality, GPS work and available, but no apps for it, basic camera app, basic browser with no flash support, etc.

Last edited by lemmyslender; 2010-09-21 at 14:28.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 364 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Australia
Originally Posted by ikirk View Post
Read somewhere that the guy in charge of SW development at Nokia has stated we could get it one day - but only if the QT version they are doing for Meego can be compiled for Maemo without massive amounts of re-work. So there is a small chance.

http://thenokiaguide.com/2010/09/14/...g-to-the-n900/
i read one of the ovi maps developer blog that it will come be patient !!!
does sygic have australian map?

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
with employees of 129,746 they have not been able to introduce voice navigation to the N900 (Nokias flagship model at launch time) launched in November 11, 2009, sounds amazing... it was also promised by Nokia boss, but seems it will never be made...

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by Marlon View Post
Thats an online solution though isn't it? Rather than offline like Ovi Maps / Sygic.
There are 44 maps I have checked myself, online offline, take your picks. On maemo, you are begging 1 or 2 maps to work. Nitdroid, you choose the one you like. On maemo, the map chooe you, on nitdroid, you choose the map. Talking is cheap, look at them here, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=62175, thread # 9

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2010-09-22 at 19:36.