Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Shhh...keep your praises down, or you'd attract haters and quitters stalking here to debunk them.

The only upside to EDGE is that it'd make the caps unreachable again. On the other hand, AT&T will do about anything to break the not-so-few folks' contracts that have the old (and generous) t-zones/MMS plans.

Given how much is normal on Maemo - and is considered revolutionary on other platforms - I'll be sticking with my own N900 for a while. The platform would be worth sticking it out even if it resulted in 2G or a move to a regional carrier.

Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
It's going to be another year at least (it'll probably take that long for the merger to go through) before 3G is switched to AT&T frequencies, might well be longer because they won't do it straight away after the merger has gone through either, I would expect them to give T-Mobile customers time to actually upgrade their handsets to ones that will work on AT&T frequencies. So you've got a while before you need to start worrying about it.

When it does happen, what might be an option is getting a data-plan with a MiFi-type device so you can still have a 3G (or maybe 4G) connection to your N900. Or possibly a new phone that supports WiFi tethering and keeping the N900 just as an internet tablet.
The problem with that is that AT&T already is less flexible about you moving your SIM between phones and non-phone devices.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Question: What happens in the US to the wireless frequencies reserved for T-Mobile before? Do they just get handed over to AT&T, or is there going to be bidding for them again?

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Question: What happens in the US to the wireless frequencies reserved for T-Mobile before? Do they just get handed over to AT&T, or is there going to be bidding for them again?
I am sure that the frequencies are most of the cost of the buyout.

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I am sure that the frequencies are most of the cost of the buyout.
Then why is everyone freaking out about the N900 not working after the merger?

Originally Posted by richwhite View Post
Then why is everyone freaking out about the N900 not working after the merger?
Because the 3G frequency will be changed to be used for LTE or some other 4G thing, which will not work with the N900. AT&T has already said that current 3G phones would need to be replaced (at least to have 3G service).

Last edited by lancewex; 2011-03-24 at 03:14.

Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
should i buy another n900??? after three or five year or meanwhile if something wrong happened to my child(N900)....

will there be n900 available in the market then?

BECAUSE I AM NOT GOING TO CHANGE MY MOBILE TILL I DIE!

I have a two-year contract with t-mobile, surely AT&T will wait that long before ending 3g service...but I will continue using my N900 even if they do cancel it. I have to say, of all the technology I have bought, in terms of usefulness per dollar, the N900 is the best bargain - including desktops, watches, etc.

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ São Paulo - Brasil
Here are just some things that quickly came to my mind why I love my n900:
- Presence notifier (what mobile phone can do it???)
- Media IM status updater
- The Onion Router
- Sound Quality, through the bluetooth of my car or even through the headphones that came with it, simply awesome.

I guess those are just things that for me make my N900 unique and difficult to be replaced so far.

have a good one you all!

Tags
maemo rules