Active Topics

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Have you guys heard of this?
http://www.engadget.com/2014/01/16/c...rating-system/

"Shanghai Liantong has joined forces with the ISCAS (Institute of Software at the Chinese Academy of Sciences) and the government to launch COS, which simply stands for China Operating System"

"Apart from the open source code, this Linux-based OS is said to be developed "entirely independently," in the hopes of breaking the foreign software monopoly..."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
A piece of joke.

COS=Copy Operating System.

Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
android 'compatibility layer'?

red flag distro do this already?

The Following User Says Thank You to Android_808 For This Useful Post:
I wonder if the Chinese government have contemplated the benefits of data mining with this device?

the bubble thing looks nice , but linux and china goverment?
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
If china it would stand for CLOSED Operating System?
or Commie Operative System?

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
still , if china will make a linux phone with superior computing power and android layer the jolla will go down
CSSU-T latest version

Posts: 535 | Thanked: 598 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Republic of the Philippines
Things that came to mind when I saw this:
1. If this is not an Android rip-off, then it could be good for other mobile Linux efforts (Ubuntu, Jolla) since there is the higher probability that Chinese hardware manufacturers will be more open-source friendly. I don't think there is anything wrong with it being a "copy" or derivative of any Linux OS.
2. If you want to be "Big Brother", you need to control (or can snoop) the OS that your people use. Currently, I think Google is in the best position to be everyone's "Big Brother", whether you like it or not.
If COS is truly open source, then other developers can just make a derivative that don't have the peeping holes that may have been part of the COS-design.

In short, I think a government-backed, privately funded effort to develop an open source mobile Linux OS is good. I just thought others would share the same opinion on the matter.

The Following User Says Thank You to vetsin For This Useful Post:
No,it is a crap, every Chinese code monkey know this is a crap android rip-off even with no useful information give on official website.

But another Chinese "self-developed" OS would be better. 960 OS's offcial website states it is based on Linux kernel, uses a "TGUI" and have a "TIOS SDK". Fortunately it also supports GCC, I guess which means it is really based on Linux and is not some random Android UI.

Anyway it is too early to discuss them without actual phones.