Active Topics

will there be a nokia belle pureview 808 edition?

Can i upload my kindle book(a oxford advanced leaners dictionary book .prc format) and read it on your firestarter? Does it support word entries search?

Last edited by youmeego; 2012-09-01 at 04:45.

Posts: 266 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by youmeego View Post
will there be a nokia belle pureview 808 edition?

Can i upload my kindle book(a oxford advanced leaners dictionary book .prc format) and read it on your firestarter? Does it support word entries search?
I am working on a version for Nokia Belle and Anna (possibly also S^3, although that has some display issues). It's almost working, there's just a few issues with timeouts due to QtWebKit being rather slow on Symbian that I still need to solve.

Unfortunately you can't upload you own books, it's only possible to use books purchased (or download for free) from Amazon directly. For reading general PRC/Mobi books on the N9 I'd recommend FBReader, the MeeGo port is a little rough around the edges UI-wise, but once you get used to it its quite nice.

If you wish to use an English dictionary to help you read other books you might be in luck though, when you select a word in a book it displays a definition from Dictionary.com:

(Image from the NokiaPhones.fr review of the app.)

Unfortunately this only works with English, at least at the moment.

The Following User Says Thank You to Elleo For This Useful Post:
Version 1.2 is now available in the Ovi Store and adds the following new features:
  • The application name has now changed to Erudite.
  • A number of buttons and menu entries have been made larger and easier to press.
  • You can now switch in to and out of fullscreen mode by pressing a toggle button in the bottom right hand corner of the screen.

For those curious about the change of name, this is what I recently posted on my blog about it:

Unfortunately since Amazon own a wide range of “Fire” themed trademarks, and the application’s operation is heavily related to the same areas that these trademarks are used in, Amazon couldn’t really let me carry on using the name “Firestarter”. It was entirely my own foolishness that caused this hassle by going for a “clever” name without even considering the potential trademark implications, thankfully the lawyer who got in touch with me was very understanding and patiently helped me worked through the various issues. I’m just glad that Amazon handled everything so amicably, rather than wading in with heavy-handed legal threats as some companies might.

So from now on the application is called “Erudite”, a name that’s clever in a different way.

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
That last para from your post is a typical pr para amazon asked you to post...Sadly they got involved in our small dead platform...At least the good thing is that you were unscathed

Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
That last para from your post is a typical pr para amazon asked you to post...Sadly they got involved in our small dead platform...At least the good thing is that you were unscathed
Not Amazon PR, just me being grateful for them being fairly nice to me over the whole thing.

Posts: 359 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Budapest
When the name changed Ovi Store didn't show the newer version as an update, but as a different app - I had to uninstall the old version (Firestarter) and then pay again to install the new one (Erudite)

Originally Posted by noetus View Post
When the name changed Ovi Store didn't show the newer version as an update, but as a different app - I had to uninstall the old version (Firestarter) and then pay again to install the new one (Erudite)
Sorry to hear that, I didn't have that problem when I tested upgrading on my secondary testing phone (on which I purchased the app), so I'm not sure why it happened for you. Although the Ovi Store display name has changed I kept the Debian package name the same to try and avoid just this sort of problem.

What did you encounter when visiting the Erudite page in the store before you uninstalled the previous version? Did it show the "Launch" and "Review" buttons that it normally shows for installed apps, or just the "Buy" button?

If you want to try requesting a refund on your original purchase from the Ovi Store I'd be happy to support the request (as I understand it Nokia often ask you to contact the developer when making refund requests). Unfortunately I don't have any control over refunds directly myself, that all has to be handled via an Ovi support request.

If anyone else has trouble upgrading send me an e-mail and I'll try and sort something out for you (unfortunately this might involve you having to e-mail me for updates every time there's a new version).

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Houston, TX
Thank you for this app! This is one thing I have been sorely missing on my N900 and N9. I use a Sony Reader rather than a Kindle for several reasons and have been happy with it. But one problem that does arise is if I run out of books to read on a trip and don't have my computer with me I am stuck and forced to find a hard copy book or go without. I just downloaded your app tonight and it seems to work great. Thank you!

The Following User Says Thank You to aprimo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Hi, so now that you are very familiar with the Amazon-API, do you have any Plans on building an app for audible.com?

I guess this also would become a bestseller

Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
Hi, so now that you are very familiar with the Amazon-API, do you have any Plans on building an app for audible.com?

I guess this also would become a bestseller
Unfortunately Amazon don't provide any way for third-party developers to produce audible apps, so there's not much I can do there I'm afraid.